Front door locks

Jazzajon

Aug 25, 2021
My Mum has dementia but lives on her own home with support and visits every day. She often leaves the front door key in the front door lock. This means that I cant open her front door with the key I have. This week she was unwell and struggled to get to the front door to let me in. The front door is a pretty new UPVC model. I've asked her not to leave her key in the front door but she forgets and I think she likes leaving it there because she can't lose it (which she has done many times). I would like to change the front door lock so that she can't leave the key in the lock and where I will always be able to get in. Can members recommend a solution, or the brand of a lock that might fit?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Take care that you order one with the correct dimension on thumbscrew end, you don't want thumbscrew on the outside.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Another term for tyo of lock you need is a "snib" lock, meaning the same as a thumbturn lock.

I have the same issue with my dad. I have not changed the lock because there is a glazed panel and it would be easy to break the glass to gain entry. However that may have to be a secondary consideration in time.

Nachim

May 2, 2022
My in laws have daily care support, they have dementia. We have fitted a small key safe at the side of the house, I expect somebody you already know this. It works well for us as the carers can lock the door when they leave.
The key safe can be accessed with a password agreed with the care company.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
My in laws have daily care support, they have dementia. We have fitted a small key safe at the side of the house, I expect somebody you already know this. It works well for us as the carers can lock the door when they leave.
The key safe can be accessed with a password agreed with the care company.
This is a good solution for providing carers with access but it is not the solution to the original problem raised. The difficulty is, how to prevent a person with dementia from wandering off, or from leaving a key in the inside of the lock so that nobody can enter, without also preventing him or her from escaping the property in emergency. A snib lock or thumbturn lock can achieve this.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Nachim
A warm welcome to DTP

I agree it's useful to have a key safe installed

Now you've joined our supportive community I hope you'll keep posting ... sharing experiences and ideas is always helpful

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman