From hospital back to care home or to a nursing home?

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
Hi there,

My Mum (82) has mixed Alzheimer's and vascular dementia, and also some medical and mobility issues. I looked after her in my home for 2 and half years until the beginning of January when I could no longer cope looking after her and working full time. She moved into the home she went to for daycare for over 2 years.

She has now been in hospital for 2 weeks following a period of being sick and not eating. She is still not managing to keep food down (but does try to eat) and has become very weak and can't walk more than a couple of steps with her frame. Unfortunately her consultant also told us her body is basically shutting down and in all likelihood we will only have her for 6 to 12 months more. Coming to terms with that bit gradually.

Basically I'm wondering if it would be best to move her on discharge from hospital to a nursing home rather than back to the care home. The consultant said she doesn't need nursing care yet, but she may in the future. She knows the staff and has friends in the care home and had immediately settled well.

Basically I'm not sure what to do for the best. Any advice?

Thanks for reading.

Sally

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Hi there,

My Mum (82) has mixed Alzheimer's and vascular dementia, and also some medical and mobility issues. I looked after her in my home for 2 and half years until the beginning of January when I could no longer cope looking after her and working full time. She moved into the home she went to for daycare for over 2 years.

She has now been in hospital for 2 weeks following a period of being sick and not eating. She is still not managing to keep food down (but does try to eat) and has become very weak and can't walk more than a couple of steps with her frame. Unfortunately her consultant also told us her body is basically shutting down and in all likelihood we will only have her for 6 to 12 months more. Coming to terms with that bit gradually.

Basically I'm wondering if it would be best to move her on discharge from hospital to a nursing home rather than back to the care home. The consultant said she doesn't need nursing care yet, but she may in the future. She knows the staff and has friends in the care home and had immediately settled well.

Basically I'm not sure what to do for the best. Any advice?

Thanks for reading.

Sally
Certainly when my mother was in hospital it exacerbated her dementia and like you after nearly 3 years I was beginning to think in terms of a Care Home anyway.

Because we had seen the progression of dementia with several relatives I decided to look straight away at Nursing Homes rather than Care Homes as I knew I wouldn't want to move her again later, when her condition would have deteriorated more.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry to hear about your mum.
Have you talked to her present care home? How far into this do they think that they would be able to support her? What would they not be able to cope with?

The answers might help you to make a decision.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I think I would return my Mum to the care home that she is settled in and has care from carers who know her, as long as the care home say they can manage her care at the moment.

It maybe that she won't need nursing care but if she does at some time in the future then move her then. It would be useful if you take a look at nursing homes in the area so that if you do have to move her you know what is available and the nursing home you are happy with.

It's never easy moving someone but hopefully you will have some time to look around.

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
Thanks for the replies.

I did try to get hold of the care home manager on Friday but she was busy in meetings and couldn't speak to her. I'm going to try again tomorrow and see what she says.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point