From DLA to PIP Assessment

BabyOleg

Jul 6, 2015
As some of you know I care for a friend who has Alzheimer/Dementia. Next week she'll have an Assessment by a doctor at home as her DLA has now come to an end and an application for PIP was made.The problem I'm facing is that she's in denial about everything and is of the opinion that everyone else around her got problems not her. I will be present at the Assessment and I'm stuck as to how to tell the doctor the "whole Story,how she really is"without upsetting her as she can,on occasions, become quite aggressive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
As some of you know I care for a friend who has Alzheimer/Dementia. Next week she'll have an Assessment by a doctor at home as her DLA has now come to an end and an application for PIP was made.The problem I'm facing is that she's in denial about everything and is of the opinion that everyone else around her got problems not her. I will be present at the Assessment and I'm stuck as to how to tell the doctor the "whole Story,how she really is"without upsetting her as she can,on occasions, become quite aggressive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just wonder if you could sneak a written account of details to doctor? Also try to sit slightly behind your friend when with doctor. Then you have eye contact with doctor. Will your friend confirm to doctor that she is OK about having you with her. All this should hopefully help.

Aisling

BabyOleg

Jul 6, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply Aisling, its an idea to make an account of everything & give it to the doctor, although its already been done on the PIP form. Yes she's perfectly fine me being present during Assessment.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Thanks for the quick reply Aisling, its an idea to make an account of everything & give it to the doctor, although its already been done on the PIP form. Yes she's perfectly fine me being present during Assessment.

She is a lucky person to have you as a friend.

Aisling xx

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
What rate DLA was your friend on before and how long has she had her diagnosis?. If it was high rate for both components that could be a good start although PIP only has the two components now - standard and enhanced. The Doctor should be aware that people with dementia are quite often in denial and he should ask questions that will give him a good idea of what is really going on. Im hoping it will be a Doctor that will carry out the assessment as sometimes the DWP send out an assessor who types answers to standard questions on a form for this to go to a decision maker. My Mum always denies she has any memory problems but usually anyone official can see through this and I always get the opportunity to shake my head or make a gesture without my Mum seeing. You will get the opportunity to say something on the day and your friend may forget what you have said shortly after and Im sure everything will be fine.
Should you not get what you want you can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (done over the phone) and follow that up with a letter and tell everything. Should that not be successful you can go to Appeal at the Tribunals Service. These are independent from the DWP . You will probably need some help to do this and the CAB can help with that. Good luck with the Assessment :)

BabyOleg

Jul 6, 2015
Thank you Flake, she's on High care & mobility with DLA and diagnosed with Alzheimer since Dec 15 ( she had symptoms since 2012/13). Alzheimer is just part of her health problems, last May she was diagnosed with stage 3 invasive breast cancer, op in june & then radiotherapy for a few weeks, from which she is still recovering from. On top of that, she's dealing with a very serious skin condition for the last 10 years. Its a lot to cope with.

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
I would be very surprised if the transition from DLA to PIP did not go smoothly bearing in mind everything that is going on with your friend. Make sure whoever carries out the assessment is fully aware of all the facts and use the 'majority of the time' with your answers. Your friend can have a good day but not more than 3 a week so the majority rule takes precedent. Constantly is another good word to use as in ' constant pain' 'confused the majority of the time' ....the skin condition - affects..... the majority of the time and can be a constant issue etc etc.
I deal with benefits for my job and regularly complete PIP, AA and WCA forms and of course Appeals to the Tribunal service. Once again, good luck xx

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
You can't assume sadly.
One friend of mine, paraplegic for over 40 years and now in her 60s was unbelievably and disgracefully downgraded.

Mind are very good st helping fill in the forms or a local resource centre. Unless you are very knowledgeable about the forms I would seek advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillian Magellan