Friends and family?

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi all!

Can't understand why people won't take the time for me to talk about my husband's Alzheimer's. It would do me the world of good sometimes to discuss the matter in a practical, interesting and passionate way. I don't see why I can't express myself when I want to as its my life too! I do my best to vary my husband's day but no one has been bothered with us this weekend.

Reds

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi all!

Can't understand why people won't take the time for me to talk about my husband's Alzheimer's. It would do me the world of good sometimes to discuss the matter in a practical, interesting and passionate way. I don't see why I can't express myself when I want to as its my life too! I do my best to vary my husband's day but no one has been bothered with us this weekend.

Reds

I can understand how you feel Reds. I have good friends and we do often talk about Bill and his dementia. Weekends we are mostly on our own though. I've got used to it now but sometimes the days are long!

Take care. x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think people are afraid. They don't know much about dementia or don't know what to say. They might fear they will say the wrong thing. They keep away because it's easier. We are sometimes not helping ourselves by saying everything's fine when asked, as we don't want to appear to moan too much. I can talk about incontinence here but I am not sure my friends and family would appreciate the finer details.

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
I find it helps to talk to people on hear as they understand what I Am going through but when u talk to someone that has doesn't live with it or understand it's hard.

Stuart

keywest67

Mar 19, 2012
Coventry
Hi, People unfortunately don't understand, some are scared by the word Dementia or Alzheimer's, some simply don't know how to help or what to say, it's sad that friends and family stay away just when you need help and support the most, even just a friendly face to talk to makes so much difference x sorry you have experienced this, I would think about the one person you trust the most out these so called friends / family and tell them how you feel, no big confrontation but say you have had a difficult weekend and disappointed no one came to see you, it might make them think!

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
I have tried to get my family to read some things I have read when my nan was diagnosed 2 years ago. But some times I think they don't want to know what's going to happen in the later stages I have read and watched loads of videos so I can try to understand and help my nan the best I can.

Stuart

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
I understand how you feel sometimes i crave sensible conversation with another adult. Somebody who listes to me and cares about what im saying. Sometimes its like living on your own but your not alone.

We do get out a lot i find my company in bingo because people talk to us there.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
In the north we say "a friend in need is ... a pain in the a**e" and it looks like you've found it to be true.
I get asked how my wife is all the time, people rarely ask how I am and when they do I just take it as one of those rhetorical questions that people ask and don't expect a real answer.
One of the children is coming to visit tomorrow (it's my wife's birthday) almost certainly he'll ask how it's going, my answer will be "you just have to get on with it" or something similar, how will it help him to know what it's really like the grinding, groundhog day tedium of it all. A problem share is 2 depressed people instead of one, why would I share it with him. It may just be me that thinks this way though.
K

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
Kevinl it may not help him to know but it will help you to tell him. Also if I found out that my dad had been struggling, I would be upset that he hadn't confided in me. Hypothetical as dad died 20+ years before mum.

Just something to think about.

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Thanks for replies.

I know I would have wanted to have helped my parents if they had had Alzheimer's or whatever illness. I couldn't have left them to worry about it all alone. I get some support but I think today's society can be so hectic and what with new technology people don't take time to really talk things through together.

Reds

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Family? They don't care, just leave you to it and get bossy or stroppy when I talk about Ch or our problems. As for friends? they disappeared around the day of the stroke that started the dementia.

Last edited:

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
NaSporran...you hit the nail on the head. My family don't give a stuff either, as for friends, they are disappearing thick and fast :(

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
I think people just don't like hearing other peoples problems in general because they have their own problems! Understandable really but I think if everyone was willing and gave the time to talking through matters properly we would all feel much more supported during difficult times!

Sympathy doesn't change anything but think it can make people feel a bit better and at least recognised that they are just as important as anyone regardless of any difficulties within the family such as someone having Alzheimer's! I know that if my husband were to go into hospital for any reason there would be enormous worry generally and people would visit him but otherwise they think it becomes a usual thing and don't realise we might need general support even if only a chat about it!

Reds

Rosie2

May 17, 2008
NaSporran...you hit the nail on the head. My family don't give a stuff either, as for friends, they are disappearing thick and fast :(

Same problem. Disappearing friends. Sons sitting back and letting me deal with everything alone. Even the one who is substitute attorney.

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Same problem. Disappearing friends. Sons sitting back and letting me deal with everything alone. Even the one who is substitute attorney.

It's a sad and lonely position to be in isn't it. Once my mum is gone then I know i will never have this issue again. Lost my dad to cancer 8 years ago, not married, no kids, no longer speak to my brother or his pack of Jeremy Kylers...they rinsed my mother then dumped her, no calls, visits, not even Christmas/birthday cards! But I won't be carrying the guilt my brother will and I will do nothing to reassure him should he seek forgiveness. I'm tired and almost done with it. I feel my life has been stolen. It feels like a prison sentence with no sign of release

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
I wonder if people see dementia as a 'fault' more than an illness. Think some are afraid of it because they don't learn about it and so can't handle it. I do get some good support but at times its not a priority but know it would be if it was cancer for example. I also think people think its just something to get used but seem to withdraw away rather than make the most of what is still good about the person with the 'confusing' illness.

The hardest part is that it is so sad!

Reds

Kate and jack

Jan 19, 2014
Southend on sea in essex
I understand totally ,this topic is right up my street
And if people would just go back to basics and what I mean by that is ,asking after someone and how are you !!
This is all I crave ,simple as that
Ppl don't ask how you are because they can't cope with the response of how your situation may be
The way I look on it is ,if ppl acknowledge then they have to take on responsibility and to an outsider looking in that's too big a commitment
I'm in turmoil with my mums family they don't offer any help ,why ? Because they don't want to take any responsibility it's easy if we bury our heads then we don't need to worry about anything
These sort of people make my blood boil ,and I'm sure by the sound of other posts ppl are experiencing this too
KARMA ......wait and see !
What goes around comes around
I solely understand each and every one of your posts and wanted to say hold your heads high because we are all doing a grand job and looking after our loved ones the way we feel fit ,God bless you all xxxxxxx

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
I understand totally ,this topic is right up my street
And if people would just go back to basics and what I mean by that is ,asking after someone and how are you !!
This is all I crave ,simple as that
Ppl don't ask how you are because they can't cope with the response of how your situation may be
The way I look on it is ,if ppl acknowledge then they have to take on responsibility and to an outsider looking in that's too big a commitment
I'm in turmoil with my mums family they don't offer any help ,why ? Because they don't want to take any responsibility it's easy if we bury our heads then we don't need to worry about anything
These sort of people make my blood boil ,and I'm sure by the sound of other posts ppl are experiencing this too
KARMA ......wait and see !
What goes around comes around
I solely understand each and every one of your posts and wanted to say hold your heads high because we are all doing a grand job and looking after our loved ones the way we feel fit ,God bless you all xxxxxxx

This post and thread totally resonates with me. I cope by pretending I have no relations! I'm quite ashamed of them. When my dad was well, he would give you the shirt off his back. He helped each and everyone. I can barely cope with my two eldest siblings who have effectively left me to get on with it. I feel sorry for them rather than angrey though. You don't escape this life unscathed by emotions and I don't want any regrets.

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Thanks, Kate and Jack

I hate to say it but yes I have thought too that what comes round! I feel others could learn from my situation and it would be handy info for when they have illness as bad as dementia etc in their families but I imagine its just not interesting enough for them and they have their problems too.

Glad I started this thread because I can't understand why people don't standby one another more. Like you said if only they said something like 'how r u managing' or 'is there anything we can help you with' or 'how is your husband today'. It really doesn't take up too much time or cost anything. The occasional 'would you like a lift to your appointment' would help even if not necessary or 'happy to visit or go out somewhere for support'.

Also how about us being told what help is available rather than have to search for ourselves!

Reds