Freemasonry appears to be Alzheimers Free

Bombo

Jun 22, 2011
Maidstone
My father has just died, and the whole family suffered with his Alzheimers particularly for the last 4 years. From the age of about 58 he gradually stopped taking part in such activities as: school governor, parish councillor, cricket umpire, stand-in pub landlord, twinning society treasurer, amongst other things. Obviously we gave the disease great thought. My husband is a Freemason and networks with hundreds of other Freemasons. These men have to learn speeches and rituals throughout their masonic life, and nobody can think of anybody who has ever had dementia or Alzheimers. Hundreds of Freemasons are well into old age, but still no sign ....

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Bombo and welcome to Talking Point

I'm sorry to hear of your father's death. It would be nice to think that there was some sure fire way to avoid dementia but I suspect that there isn't.

We have had one member who has dementia who mentioned he was a freemason, and of course there may be others.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Bombo

My husband was a Freemason several years ago but only for a couple of years.

There is actually a Care Home near to where we live specifically for Freemasons (presumably with Alz and Dementia too). I did enquire about them taking my husband but apparently he wasn't in the Freemasons for long enough to qualify.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Hello, Bombo

Sorry to hear that your father died recently.

We have a care home within walking distance, owned and run by the RMBI. It caters for 65 residential placements and for 25 people with nursing care needs, with a special dementia unit too, and it makes financial provision and support for people with 'limited means'. Last time we were there we were given to understand that it provides care to older Freemasons and their relatives, but I've no idea whether you need to have been an active Freemason for any specified period of time.

But it's a very good care home, with fairly good local reputation.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
My husband was a Mason and as he declined he wrote to telling them that he had Alzheimers - only a few close friends bothered. When he went into a NH they sent him a bunch of flowers :eek: and no further communication.

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
sorry to hear about your father's death Bombo.

Interesting to hear about the discovery but I am also wondering if its more that of the organisation closing ranks and not wanting to let people know one of their members has died of Alzheimers? Some people still find it very hard to talk about.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I am also wondering if its more that of the organisation closing ranks and not wanting to let people know one of their members has died of Alzheimers? Some people still find it very hard to talk about.

This makes good sense to me. Freemasonry tends to be secretive so that would follow naturally. A lot of people still regard Alzheimer's as a mental disease and people are still shamed by mental disease. Both attitudes frustrate me to no end.

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon

Hello Bombo if you have a look a Living with Dementia magazine
back issues { issue December 2007 pages 23-24 } you will see a small
item written by a freemason, I am sure there are several Talking Point
members who will remember this guy some personally, I’m actually a
cousin to his wife

trigger

curious george

Jun 30, 2011
masonic curses

I have heard that there is a link between alz and masons. It is strange that Bombo would put up such a thread in the first place... stating that masons don't get alzheimers. where is the science, and if there is science on it... why?

For all of you who have a family history of Alz- check your family lineage to masonic rituals and speeches, curses, and incantations. Check deep, into the eastern star women's group, too.

Kathiewalters

Mar 4, 2023
I believe there is a link between freemasonry and Alzheimer’s- can you tell me more ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan