Freedom of choice

Applebee

Sep 11, 2020
I've just started caring for a 90 year old lady with dementia. She's still in her own home and her daughter lives next door. The daughter is adamant that pat goes put in her. Wheelchair on fine days. However, pat doesn't like going in the wheelchair and is just as happy sat in her garden. Should pat's wishes be adhered too?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Yes!
If Pat has capacity she should most definitely be listened to.
The reason we have all the changes to the mental capacity act and also dolls is due to people with learning disabilities not being respected and listened to.
( Obviously Pat doesn’t have learning disabilities! But just saying!)

I have done training, you put the carer in the wheelchair!
Shall we just say ‘ it’s a learning experience’!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do you know why the daughter insists on her mum going out in her wheelchair every day? It might be better to come up with some sort of compromise.

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
I've just started caring for a 90 year old lady with dementia. She's still in her own home and her daughter lives next door. The daughter is adamant that pat goes put in her. Wheelchair on fine days. However, pat doesn't like going in the wheelchair and is just as happy sat in her garden. Should pat's wishes be adhered too?
Yes, though I can see why the daughter wants her to go out as it's a good way of giving Pat a change of scene and something new to look at.

The boundary between persuasion/encouragement and forcing her to do something she would rather not is a fine one. If Pat is capable of expressing a view - even if we think there's a better choice to be made - she should be allowed to choose.

Is there anyone else involved in Pat's care who could raise the subject with her daughter?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I enclose a link to @Grannie G compassionate communication.

Remember the lessons it teaches us can be used on all sorts of people including those without dementia .