Free NHS care for all Alzheimers patients

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Esquires, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Esquires

Esquires Registered User

Jul 20, 2003
    Okehampton, Devon
    #1 Esquires, Jul 20, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    My late father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease but was refused NHS funded care

The Ombudsman upheld my complaint that 'the eligibility criteria were more restrictive than National Guidance allowed'

It thus follows that any patient suffering from Alzheimer's etc. who has been refused NHS funded care, must also have been subjected to unlawfully restrictive 'eligibility criteria' in order to reach that decision.

All such patients must thus automatically qualify for fully funded NHS care. In fact, HSC2001/17 (page 31) confirms the law under 'Coughlan' that anybody with a health need or a disability must have ALL their care paid for by the NHS.

Since winning my case I have been helping many people throughout the country, who have been refused NHS funded care, to recover all care costs or obtain 100% NHS funding. If you require further information or assistance please contact me direct or visit my 'free nursing care information' forum .

2. kat66cal

kat66cal Registered User

Aug 26, 2011
    My late mother was refused nhs funding for her care whilst suffering with Alzheimer's

My late mother was refused any funding for her care in the home, whilst suffering from Alzheimer's disease.Do you think I can make a claim?

3. elaine n

elaine n Registered User

Jun 1, 2010
    west country uk
    Why isn't the web page address displayed on the original post?

4. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    #4 jenniferpa, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
    Kat66cal - welcome to Talking Point.

For accurate information you might want to look at the publications the AS puts out.

NHS continuing care http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=399

When does the NHS pay for care? http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/download_info.php?fileID=75

NHS continuing care volunteer support group (a support group for people who believe that they have wrongly been denied access to NHS continuing health care funding) http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=398

This is a very old thread (8 years) - you might want to start your own.

5. Merle

Merle Registered User

Aug 26, 2011
    Bexhill-on-Sea
    Merle

Alzheimers is a physical disease where the nerves in the brain get tangled up and therefore cause memory loss (and other irrational activity). As such, it should be treated in the same category as, say, cancer, which is accepted as being fully funded by the NHS. Perhaps it would be more appropriate for Alzheimers' sufferers to visit a neurologist rather than a psychiatrist??....