Fred

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
More lovely photos of Fred and his "baby", Verity. He looks so contented and what a super surprise for you to be so welcomed. Long may it continue. Loving thoughts WIFE (Di)

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
What delightful photos of Fred ! Such tender moments on your visit too Verity :) you are such a lovely and caring person and I am so happy for you xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Thanks everyone. I am so happy for him and think I must have been directed from somewhere, (above?) when I picked up that doll from the floor a few weeks back and popped it on his lap in fun, never realising how he would react. Wishing you similar success in your shopping expedition, GL.

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Thanks everyone. I am so happy for him and think I must have been directed from somewhere, (above?) when I picked up that doll from the floor a few weeks back and popped it on his lap in fun, never realising how he would react. Wishing you similar success in your shopping expedition, GL.

What lovely photos, he looks such a lovely man and a wonderful way you did it. We just don't know what is going on in their heads, but obviously you have brought him great joy and comfort. I remember well when we used to drive to Exmoor getting stuck in traffic on a Bank Holiday and I am talking about many many years ago, so probably the traffic is so much worse now. You must have been shattered.
Hope you have a good day disi xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Verity, what lovely, lovely photo's of Fred and his 'baby'. Fred looks so contented and what a fantastic greeting; cuddles are good.:)

I hope your next visit is as good.

Love,

Lyn T XX

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Just come back from another lovely visit. Fred's baby seems to have brought him so much happiness. Popped into cheapie store on the way and bought another doll so that there would be more chance of him keeping his. Unfortunately the one I picked up thinking it was £5.99 turned out to be £10.99 when I got to the tills so good job I didn't buy 2 as I had originally planned. Could have bought another better quality one like Fred's on line for the same price if I had realised, but never mind. It went straight into the arms of another resident when the carers unpacked it and was still here when I left so the pleasure is worth the expenditure. Have had to order doll's clothes on line as can't find a shop selling cheapies around here, so baby will have a couple of outfits very shortly enabling rather mucky dressing gown to go in the wash! Why do I feel I'm back at the nursery stage. Also found some pretty, brightly coloured windmills to go in the pots when they are planted. Only 99p each. It's amazing what's around when you look. Think T and her team are now going full steam ahead with the planned garden although have been very disappointed with the lack of response from household name companies I had approached to see if they would make small gifts/donations. I suppose they have so many requests these days.
Had the pleasure of meeting 2 new carers in Fred's lounge. Both in their 20s with families of their own but they seemed really caring on first acquaintance so hope all goes well for them. Couldn't believe it when I was told that one of the nurses had worked a 24 hr shift 7 a.m yesterday and until 7 a.m. today. apparently a relatively new young night nurse had emailed them on Thursday to say that he had left and would not be in again and it wasn't seen until yesterday morning when it was too late to make alternative arrangements. Talk about dedication to duty and what an ignorant young man to do that to them without even a phone call. I assume he doesn't expect a reference. By the way, we are no longer able to use the expression 'resident'. It's not appropriate. Offialese is 'service user' which I think is pretty awful. Surely if you are at home you are a resident? ?? Sorry for my ramblings and hope you are all having a reasonable day. xx

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Lovely visit, nice to see he is happy, I haven't caught up on your thread for a while.

Sometimes the point of what is trying to be achieved is lost in trying to not offend, resident sounds nicer.

Service user is more generic and so translates across the care service for day centres etc I suppose, but even then client or customer would be better?

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Service user is a cold business- like name for care home residents. If, as in my husband’s care home, they encourage residents to think of where they are as ‘home’ then that is the appropriate name for them. It is their home for the remainder of their lives.

Having said that, I have never referred to the care home as his ‘home’ to my husband. He took a long time to settle and to stop wanting to come home here, and I would be afraid of his anguish emerging again. It has still very occasionally cropped up again, saying when I leave "I'll come home with you".

But I hope ‘service user’ is not enforced.

By the way, we are no longer able to use the expression 'resident'. It's not appropriate… Offialese is 'service user' which I think is pretty awful.
I agree, it is awful. :(

Loo

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Just come back from another lovely visit. Fred's baby seems to have brought him so much happiness. Popped into cheapie store on the way and bought another doll so that there would be more chance of him keeping his. Unfortunately the one I picked up thinking it was £5.99 turned out to be £10.99 when I got to the tills so good job I didn't buy 2 as I had originally planned. Could have bought another better quality one like Fred's on line for the same price if I had realised, but never mind. It went straight into the arms of another resident when the carers unpacked it and was still here when I left so the pleasure is worth the expenditure. Have had to order doll's clothes on line as can't find a shop selling cheapies around here, so baby will have a couple of outfits very shortly enabling rather mucky dressing gown to go in the wash! Why do I feel I'm back at the nursery stage. Also found some pretty, brightly coloured windmills to go in the pots when they are planted. Only 99p each. It's amazing what's around when you look. Think T and her team are now going full steam ahead with the planned garden although have been very disappointed with the lack of response from household name companies I had approached to see if they would make small gifts/donations. I suppose they have so many requests these days.
Had the pleasure of meeting 2 new carers in Fred's lounge. Both in their 20s with families of their own but they seemed really caring on first acquaintance so hope all goes well for them. Couldn't believe it when I was told that one of the nurses had worked a 24 hr shift 7 a.m yesterday and until 7 a.m. today. apparently a relatively new young night nurse had emailed them on Thursday to say that he had left and would not be in again and it wasn't seen until yesterday morning when it was too late to make alternative arrangements. Talk about dedication to duty and what an ignorant young man to do that to them without even a phone call. I assume he doesn't expect a reference. By the way, we are no longer able to use the expression 'resident'. It's not appropriate. Offialese is 'service user' which I think is pretty awful. Surely if you are at home you are a resident? ?? Sorry for my ramblings and hope you are all having a reasonable day. xx

Morning Verity love waking up to such good news :) may it long continue :) you are so thoughtful getting another baby and windmill :) xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Mossyanne1

Feb 10, 2015
Oh how lovely, lots of starlings. I live in West Sussex and all ours have disappeared over the last 10 years, such a shame. I also have been out in the garden doing a bit of pruning while Hubbie is in day-care. Feeling a bit anxious at the moment as he is having an operation next week. Bless him, he just doesn't know what's going on half the time, no point telling him about the op as it won't go in. Lovely to be part of this group.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Had another lovely day with Fred. Took my car for service and MOT so spent the time with him and had lunch together too. He was happy and content when awake and, as usual now, engrossed in his baby. The gazebo was erected today and the courtyard is beginning to take shape. The carers have hung colourful spirals a bit like prayer flags, which twirl in the wind and sown seeds in pots ready for transplanting in due course. They are now hoping to raise funds to get a large garden table so that the residents can have meals outside in good weather but goodness knows how long it will take to raise the funds for that. Wish I was in a position to wave a magic wand for them but don't have the spare cash to get one. I am sure they will manage somehow. At least car passed MOT and didn't need new tyres, brakes, etc when serviced so the bill was ONLY £266 which I suppose was something as it could have been a lot more. Insurance due next month so will find out how much premium has increased and whether I must shop around. End of whinge! xx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Not a tinge of a whinge! Just telling it like it is. :) It's always the way with bill following bill, just as sure as night follows day. Fred seems to really love his baby. How clever of you to find something that brings him so much pleasure. :)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Thank you, chick. Hope you have a good day too.

Scarlett, think I must have been guided by a hand from above when I found the doll on the floor and just popped it on his lap all those weeks ago. Could never have guessed at his reaction. Hope you have a good day too with your activities.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Have a lovely birthday , so nice to hear Fred is still content with his baby x

its a struggle

Mar 10, 2015
South Coast - Hampshire
Dolls Clothes

Hello Verity,
What a wonderful idea the doll has been, you seem to have really hit on something here. I wondered if you had thought of trying ebay for second hand dolls clothes. I know there were lots on sale when I was buying Sylvanians for my granddaughters last year! Just a thought x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba