Fractured wrist - wants to remove cast

m12903

May 31, 2018
My mom who is under the care of my sister, recently fell and has a clean break on her wrist. She has found a way to get every cast off, from picking at the gauze on the first one, to now biting at the fiberglass cast with her teeth. She has found other ways to loosen the cast and we are on round 3 now. She has fought the attaching her arm to her body to hold in place, and will never ever use a sling. Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep this cast on for longer than 48 hours? My sister has removed knives, scissors, nail clippers, etc. We welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

spbeagle

Oct 20, 2016
I had a similar problem with my mother and, after she had removed the cast, which then covered her wrist and forearm, on three occasions, the replacement cast was extended above her elbow - her elbow was bent at a right angle so it was impossible for her to pull the cast off. She also refused to wear a sling but made a full recovery, having no recollection of the injury she had no fear of using her wrist and arm.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
My mom who is under the care of my sister, recently fell and has a clean break on her wrist. She has found a way to get every cast off, from picking at the gauze on the first one, to now biting at the fiberglass cast with her teeth. She has found other ways to loosen the cast and we are on round 3 now. She has fought the attaching her arm to her body to hold in place, and will never ever use a sling. Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep this cast on for longer than 48 hours? My sister has removed knives, scissors, nail clippers, etc. We welcome any suggestions. Thanks.
This is going to sound daft, could you put a loose bandage on a leg, secured with a lot of tape, masking, clear sticky etc. She may be so distracted by this she’ll spend ages getting that off and leave the cast alone.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi and welcome to TP
My wife and 2 of the other residents have broken their wrists at various times and for reasons of hygiene the hospital always uses the velcro type of splint. Nothing they tried at the care home could make any of the wear it for long. I suggested gaffer tape but the home said they wouldn't be allowed to do that.
It's almost like people with AZ don't feel pain, I've seen a couple of people who've broken a hip and all they want to do is get up and walk within a matter of hours after they've had the operation.
I've never broken anything but it has to hurt, but it just doesn't seem to bother people with advanced AZ.
On the positive side all the broken wrists got better without using a case and no one seems any the worse for not wearing one but they were all relatively immobile so they weren't putting the fracture under any stress which would help.
it's hard enough getting some of the residents not to take their shoes and socks off or even their clothes let alone a cast.
K

m12903

May 31, 2018
Hi and welcome to TP
My wife and 2 of the other residents have broken their wrists at various times and for reasons of hygiene the hospital always uses the velcro type of splint. Nothing they tried at the care home could make any of the wear it for long. I suggested gaffer tape but the home said they wouldn't be allowed to do that.
It's almost like people with AZ don't feel pain, I've seen a couple of people who've broken a hip and all they want to do is get up and walk within a matter of hours after they've had the operation.
I've never broken anything but it has to hurt, but it just doesn't seem to bother people with advanced AZ.
On the positive side all the broken wrists got better without using a case and no one seems any the worse for not wearing one but they were all relatively immobile so they weren't putting the fracture under any stress which would help.
it's hard enough getting some of the residents not to take their shoes and socks off or even their clothes let alone a cast.
K

m12903

May 31, 2018
Thank you Kevin. My sister is at the doctor and now with her valiant strength she broke her 3 middle fingers on that same hand. So as you suggested, they are putting a removable brace so she won't continue to ruin the rest of her fingers. Doctor said if my sister can keep it on her for even 25% of time..that is a WIN! It is not like she puts a ton of stress on her hands.
Thanks everyone for sharing..plus making us realize our mom is not unique in this regard.