Fractured Hip

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
My Dad fell at home during the night a week and a half ago he had the sense to bang the wall to the neighbour crying Help Me (he is 91 with vascular dementia diagnosis late in life). The police came bashed the door down and never used the keysafe which they have a number for! Not sure why?
My Dad got operated on as he fractured his hip. He seemed to be doing well for a few days then BP dropped and infection set in. They finally got him up after a week yeaterday but his mobility is bad and his confusion really bad (no delirium after op) it could be the infection still or the dementia increased. He really cannot do much for himself at all now and his mobility or rather lack of it is extremely bad. He had a self funded care plan and was still living at home. Would he now be liable for NHS Continuing Care at home as he will need either daycare full time or 24 hour care due to his lack of mobility, understanding etc? Thoughts, thank you.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I'm sorry to hear about your dad @Caligirl

I think it's unlikely that he'll qualify for CHC - my mum didn't under very similar circumstances and neither did my dad when he lost mobility after a stroke. Have any of the hospital staff said how soon they expect him to be discharged?

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
No tbh he has low blood pressure and still seems to have an infection so cant see him being discharged yet, and they have to have a Best Interests meeting before anything can happen. He really cant do much for himself now, before this happened he was still getting dressed himself including socks, still making a cuppa doing the stairs etc. I am heartbroken for him??

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Infections, broken bones and surgery do horrible things to people with dementia and can really progress the disease.
Im so sorry it has happened to your dad
(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
Infections, broken bones and surgery do horrible things to people with dementia and can really progress the disease.
Im so sorry it has happened to your dad
(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))
Thank you. I just hope that he recovers enough to at least get home with care?

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Sadly my mother's journey to a care home began with a ride in an ambulance after a fall causing a broken hip. She only managed to walk a bit after a successful operation. She too had an infection in hospital and I had the unnerving experience of being called by the hospital when on a train and told to get off at the next station and get the next train back to the bedside. However she made it. She never really tried to do physiotherapy to regain her walking skills and sadly is now unable to walk unaided at all. Mentally things have declined since then, partly because of the isolation of a care home. I fear you must prepare to help manage things that don't get back to normal and to give him the support that he is going to need. You can't reverse old age but your support will make a difference to how comfortable his remaining years are.

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
Sadly my mother's journey to a care home began with a ride in an ambulance after a fall causing a broken hip. She only managed to walk a bit after a successful operation. She too had an infection in hospital and I had the unnerving experience of being called by the hospital when on a train and told to get off at the next station and get the next train back to the bedside. However she made it. She never really tried to do physiotherapy to regain her walking skills and sadly is now unable to walk unaided at all. Mentally things have declined since then, partly because of the isolation of a care home. I fear you must prepare to help manage things that don't get back to normal and to give him the support that he is going to need. You can't reverse old age but your support will make a difference to how comfortable his remaining years are.
Ah your poor Mum, I totally understand what you are going through.? My Dad is barely eating now, sleeping most of the time, not really talking and won't get up at 91. I think he has had enough and wants to be with my Mum. We are trying to get him home with care have he is self funded and it has always been his wish to pass where my Mum did? How long he lasts as he is now nobody knows but his bp is up and down so not good. I selfishly do not want to lose him but I get he has just had enough I just hope he gets home one last time?