Found wandering today

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
What my husband means is that he finds going into shops overwhelming and needs to leave the shop quickly - to much noise- people around -

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Concerned about my OH , he is clearly not right - speech is getting very slow and confused and muddle now also , he has been put on sick leave for 3 weeks which is now coming to an end and now he stating he will be returning to work this Friday-
we have not heard anything from GP or Memory clinic - GP thinks it could be MCI though don't know until diagnosed , , , he keeps saying also its not dementia its residual from his recent TIA, Not sure what to do

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi, think you probably need to contact the GP again, and explain what is happening. It could be further TIAs, it could be an infection or it could be something else entirely. I know it isn't easy to get an appointment at the moment, but it does sound like he isn't fit enough to go back to work.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Maybe he is having TIA's in his sleep.

didnt sound like dementia to me, right from the start- its all too fast progress
Hs anyone suggested a head scan?

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I wouldn't normally suggest this but if your husband can't get an urgent appointment with the GP I would take him to A&E.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
OH had several TIAs and I know its not that though experience-he's had memory problems right from the first one which was several years ago, I am aware that Vascular dementia can come on suddenly ? he is stating not going to hospital or GP has he said its nothing . guess I will have to wait and see if he improve or if it gets worse than I speak to GP personally

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
OH had several TIAs and I know its not that though experience-he's had memory problems right from the first one which was several years ago, I am aware that Vascular dementia can come on suddenly ? he is stating not going to hospital or GP has he said its nothing . guess I will have to wait and see if he improve or if it gets worse than I speak to GP personally
my husband had a tia and within the month, his memory was very affected right from the start. it depends on where in the brain the tia occurred. he has vascular dementia diagnosed 2 years ago, a year after his tia

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
My OH returned back to work on Friday and due to his previous and current difficulties - his employer are now keen to dismiss him from his job - on capability grounds. has anyone else been through this or experienced this, OH keen to continue has long has he capable off,

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH returned back to work on Friday and due to his previous and current difficulties - his employer are now keen to dismiss him from his job - on capability grounds. has anyone else been through this or experienced this, OH keen to continue has long has he capable off,
Yes, this happened to OH. Fortunately he was a union member and I got the union involved. They negotiated medical retirement for him which gave him a lump sum and a smallish pension. He wasnt happy, but was in hospital at the time so was presented with a fait accompli. Although he wanted to appeal it was obvious that he was no longer capable of working and he wasnt able to go through the appeal process either. It was probably the best result.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
that's so tough @mikeb2
is your husband in a union, if so get them involved
maybe try to talk with the HR dept and have them consider early retirement on the grounds of ill health

I appreciate that your husband may want to continue for as long as possible ... the company do, though, need to be sure he can do his job not only capably but safely and have a duty of care towards him and other employees

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
If he's not in a Union, you could try Citizens Advice. I think you need some knowledgeable advice. People on here know a lot about Dementia but not necessarily Employment Law.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Can anyone tell me how long is the wait for my OH to attend a Memory clinic, has we have not heard anything yet

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Sadly @mikeb2 it varies from palce to palce, but sone people wait some months for an appointment. It is not good. I hope you get an appointment soon.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Can anyone tell me how long is the wait for my OH to attend a Memory clinic, has we have not heard anything yet
It could be months away yet.

is there another job he could do within his workplace or is it a complete stop?

Can you give us an idea ofhis occupation?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi ,@mikeb2
only share general info here
These may have something helpful to you

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
OH blood test came through today and are Normal, so must be other things going on, though DR was concerned she phone directly within minutes of contact with surgery, she stated should get appointment with memory clinic soon

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Does the employer have their own pension scheme that he pays into?
If so approach trustees about the possibility of ill health early retirement.

It looks as if GP may be pushing for memory clinic appointment.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
OH not been in the pension scheme long so cannot rely on that, employer may look to capability route- which is a get out clause for some employers to not pay out. worry times if he do have to stop working

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qirlylady