Found something to share

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by mrf94, Apr 14, 2015.

1. mrf94

mrf94 Registered User

Dec 17, 2014
    huddersfield
    11. Cranberries

Cranberries prevent bacteria from forming in the bladder, prostate and kidneys. It also deodorizes urine. They contain mannose, which is what helps to keep the entire urinary track from getting and infection. They also can help prevent kidney stones. They are antiviral and antibiotic. Because they are so sour, they need to be combined with either water, or another fruit to be palatable. I like to add apple or grape juices to the mix.

2. BR_ANA

BR_ANA Registered User

Jun 27, 2012
    Brazil
    Very interesting.
    I wish I could find cranberries on Brazil.

3. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    There are also cranberry capsules available (but maybe not in Brazil BR_ANA :()

4. jen54

jen54 Registered User

May 20, 2014
    I was told this some years ago by my dr after suffering infections while pregnant- I get my mum raspberry and cranberry juice, that is really nice

5. Katrine

Katrine Registered User

Jan 20, 2011
    England
    Cranberry juice or tablets are effective, I agree. Avoid if you are on Warfarin as it will affect your INR.

6. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I`ve just started taking Cranberry tablets as a trial.

7. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

Are dried cranberries just as effective or must they be fresh? I have a great recipe for muffins using them in the same way as sultanas and they are qu.kite delicious.

8. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    A Google search revealed dried cranberries contain a lot of sugar and so does cranberry juice, unless you specify unsweetened concentrate.

So far, tablets seem the best bet.

9. Dusty78

Dusty78 Registered User

Mar 30, 2014
    West Midlands
    You can also get cranberry powder which has higher concentration of active ingredient. Use this for Mom and last urine test was negative. Thanks.