1. Fossy

Fossy New member

Mar 19, 2019
    My husband 87 has frontal lobe Alzheimer dementia after going through various behaviours he is now struggling with sexual behaviour usually at home but will reach IT out even if we have company anything can set him off even watching a football match , I can usually deal with it quickly but I worry about Christmas visitors especially youngsters
    The consultant says they can't medically give him anything just try to distract him
    Any info off other members ?

2. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Volunteer Host

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Fossy

Unfortunately sexual disinhibition is fairly common with dementia. My dad went through a phase of very distressing behaviour toward a couple of women who were caring for him. We were lucky that it turned out that one of his meds was causing the problem and adjusting the dose cured the problem. It was months before we realised that the behaviour had started with an increase in Donepezil though.

The only other thing I can suggest is to keep a blanket close by.

3. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Oh dear. I had this problem with OH too, although thankfully he has now stopped as his dementia has progressed. It is, unfortunately a common problem with damage to the frontal lobes. As @Bunpoots has mentioned, sometimes Donepezil can make this worse, so if he has been put on something for his Alzheimers it is worth going back to the doctor who prescribed it.

4. BryanG2001

BryanG2001 Registered User

Mar 2, 2014
    Don't have experience but can speak as an engineer that solves problems. Make access more difficult, two pairs of underpants one inside out so that the opening are not in line. A safety pin on the pants zipper. Won't stop him but will slow him down so that you have chance to react and redirect.

5. Fossy

Fossy New member

Mar 19, 2019

6. Fossy

Fossy New member

Mar 19, 2019
    Thankyou Bunpoots blanket now in place ! No new meds so probably all part of this dreadful illness

7. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

A spectacular resolution but what do you do if he needs to pee in a hurry? My overactive imagination is going into overdrive!

8. BryanG2001

BryanG2001 Registered User

Mar 2, 2014
    #8 BryanG2001, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Standing and using the toilet as a urinal is overrated and certain to cause accidents and arguments about who left the seat up Anyway since the seat on my toilet broke and stopping staying up I have transitioned to sitting on the toilet, so it is 'pants down, sit down'. Which to be honest is much quicker than unzip, fiddle and grab, pull, hope to aim right, and go.
    I guess if I was a good engineer I would fix the toilet seat, but it is far more relaxing sitting, and I get time to catch up on my reading. You did ask!!

I would like to stress that I am not trying to make light of a horrible situation, I am honestly looking for practical solutions.

9. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

I do understand that you were trying to be helpful.

However, there are gentlemen out there who won't be as cooperative as you. Some of them will object because that's what they do when there is dementia. Some won't give sufficient warning to get all the layers off in time and others will object to putting all the layers on in the first place.

But there may be some out there who will happily go along with it so anything is worth a try.

10. jenniferjean

jenniferjean Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    I agree, what you say makes perfect sense. If only my husband would do that it would make life easier, especially with having to clean the seat before I can use it. Also having to clean the floor and everything else where the aim is not good. But although I have suggested it, he's not having any of it. He absolutely refuses.

11. Morras

Morras New member

Dec 13, 2019
    What approach have you tried when bringing this up to him?

12. jenniferjean

jenniferjean Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Only suggesting and pointing out the benefits such as @BryanG2001 mentioned. I can't do any more than that. He won't agree to anything other than what he is used to.