Forward Ho!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I am desperately trying to find the minestrone recipe online but the link seems to have vanished and I only have a printout so I took a picture of it but to be honest, you can put any kind of veg and beans in:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 320

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Okay - here's the recipe for courgette cake which is actually given the very grand title of:

Sugar Crusted Courgette, Lemon and Lime Loaf Cake - phew!

Serves 10

3 medium eggs beaten: 225ml sunflower oil: 250grms caster sugar: 200grms self-raising flour: three-quarters teaspoon baking powder: 75grms ground almonds: finely grated rind of one lemon and one lime: 175grms yellow or green courgettes, trimmed and grated: Demerara sugar

1. Preheat oven to 180C 350F Gas 4. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. Whisk together eggs, oil and caster sugar until smooth and well blended.

2. Sieve over flour and baking powder. Add ground almond, lemon & lime rind and carefully mix together until well combined. Fold in courgette.

Pile mixture into tin and smooth top. Sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake in oven for about one hour until golden brown and firm in the centre. (Skewer should come out clean if cake cooked) Leave to cool in tin for 30 mins and then turn out onto wire rack. Wrap and store when completely cold.

Will keep in fridge for up to a week - I slice and freeze for future use

Lovely served with fresh fruit and custard or cream as a pudding.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Okay - here's the recipe for courgette cake which is actually given the very grand title of:

Sugar Crusted Courgette, Lemon and Lime Loaf Cake - phew!

Recipe looks great, I will definitely give it a try as I have 6 courgette plants in my polytunnel this year, I usually end up giving them away to neighbours who come to buy eggs.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Yum that sounds good, will have to try it but shan't dare tell OH it has courgette in it, he won't even try it. Same with carrot cake which I love but because it's got a vegetable in it he won't eat it. Years ago I found a recipe for a desert which was a pastry case filled with a creamy filling made with parsnips, eggs, cream and sugar and I think some mixed spice all decorated with sugar coated violets. It was actually very nice but as soon as himself found out what was in it that was the end of that. He also has a hang up about puddings made with bread. I used to make Queen of puddings and he loved it until the day he discovered the bottom part was made with breadcrumbs and has never touched it since. Strange foibles.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Is he old enough to remember the War and the Ministry of Food recipes that were given to people to make the rations stretch, and make "sweet " things without using much sugar, Jinx? I have a couple of cookbooks of those recipes, and while some are great, and great money- savers, some are what you might call "optimistic "! :D

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
My mother-in-law used to say during the war she had at least a hundred ways of making carrot into a meal. Sadly - or some might say thankfully - she died without imparting the information.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Here is my courgette muffins recipe. The only problem with these is that I never eat just one....!

60g raisins, soaked in boiling water.
250g courgettes, grated
2 eggs
120ml oil (that's about half a measuring cup, I think)
150g caster sugar
225g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Put eggs, oil and sugar in a bowl. Beat until creamy. Add flour and powders and beat until well combined. Stir in courgettes. Drain the raisins and stir in.
Line a muffin pan with paper muffin cases and pour batter in. Bake at 180C/Gas 4 until well risen and golden brown - about 40 minutes.

Do you know - with so many of us on very reduced incomes, we should have a recipes board! :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello all.
William is in hospital. Talk about events conspiring against me!
1. The Nursing Home has my mobile no. as I always have that with me. So, because they have that number, I keep the mobile by the bed at night. I don't turn it off, but it goes to "sleep".

2. I keep facebook notifications switched off, so they don't bleep all the time. So FB messages only get through (usually) if I have actually activated the phone.

3. Last night, something went wrong with either the phone or my FB settings, and the "switching off" of FB wouldn't work - and one of my FB acquaintances started messaging me in the middle of the night about something! So having been polite, I then switched off the phone - which, as I said, I never normally do!

4. Wouldn't you know it!! When I switched it on this morning, first thing, it started to ring almost straight away - it was the nursing home! They had had to send William to the hospital as he had been very badly congested in his chest when they were getting him up this morning. - I had actually told a member of staff that he had seemed to choke a bit on something yesterday, and was coughing a lot. (They are supposed to phone me before sending him to hospital for something like a suspected chest infection, so I can make the decision - but of course - they couldn't get me, could they?!)

I left for the hospital, and got stuck in morning rush hour traffic, and half way there the phone rang again - the hospital, wondering if I was on the way. "Yes! I'm stuck in rush hour traffic! I'm coming!":eek: Got there, to find William had been extremely ill and had needed resuscitation! "A bit of resuscitation" is the way it was put, whatever that means. I don't think he was actually dead - but I think without pretty big intervention, he would have just slipped away.

So - he has aspiration pneumonia with an underlying infection, but has had iv antibiotics all day basically. The poor love is stuck full of canulas, a catheter, had a bi-papp on most of the day which was finally changed for an oxygen tube - which he won't leave in. And he keeps pulling at the canulas, so they have been bandaged in. Just hope he forgets about the catheter! He made a few grabs for it while I was there - I'm not long home.

The doctor there spoke to me first thing I got there this morning about my thinking on DNR. I told him I had already spoken to them in the nursing home about it, and that I would not have wanted this for him now - and I know, from the way he always felt about hospitals and doctors & medical treatments, that he wouldn't either. I would so much rather he was just kept comfortable as possible in his familiar surroundings and let nature and his old age take their course than have him been traumatised - even unintentionally - the way he has been today. The doctor said that in all honesty, given the condition William is in, they would not be inclined to do much more intervention - the aim is to stabilise him and discharge him back to the nursing home as quickly as possible.

Yesterday, he was walking around the nursing home as he usually does. However, he has not quite been in his usual relaxed form the last day or two either - but nor could I say he has been ill in any way. Bloody age and illness.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm so sorry to hear this, LadyA! Maybe William will rally but if not, I hope he will be allowed to go in peace. My thoughts are with you.

onlyme247

May 21, 2014
N.W.England
So sorry to hear that you are going through such an ordeal .Can only send my prayers for you both.Try to stay strong as you allways have been.I do know this is going to be a hard time for you lady A and I will be thinking of you both tonight.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh, Lady A, I'm so sorry to hear this. And what a nuisance with your phone....

I hope you can get some sleep....and that they can get William back to the nh as soon as possible.

My thoughts are with you. Hugs....

Lindy xx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Oh LadyA I am so sorry to hear that only just caught up . Such worrying times . Thinking of you and William xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lady A, I'm so terribly sorry that you and William are going through this. I hope W goes back to the NH as soon as possible. Did you manage any sleep last night? I hope so. Fingers crossed that today is a better one for both of you.

Love,

Lyn T XX