Forum upgrade

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Done that, Sandy! Thanks.

Don't forget to SAVE changes though, otherwise ticks (or unticks) will vanish.

Tried it anyway.

Thanks.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Thanks for reminding me JPG1, I've just added that to my post for completeness' sake.

One thing that I like about removing the message section is that it moves the About Me tab to the top of the pile and this is usually something I always check when replying to a new member or someone who hasn't been around for awhile.

Take care,

Sandy

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
It looks like Visitor Messages can be turned off or restricted to just contacts and moderators.

I have turned off my visitor messages for now as I'm slightly worried about people getting confused with private messages.

Thank you Sandy - you prove my point about my latest 'uneasiness' ... surely everybody's defaults should have been to 'off' unless they purposely understood the implications otherwise .......?????? And then to have to follow instructions to reach a level of privacy and protection ... some of which may come a lot easier to some than others ....?

Not trying to pick fault - just trying to protect .....

I'll happily play 'guinea pig' to help - but remain concerned this was not thought through before it was implemented .....

Thanks, Karen, x

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Sandy,

Since you seem to be the Wizard, can you explain why the clock is wrong?

Spring sprung forward ... but TP clock hasn't.

????

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Testing time

This is a test.

My clock says 11:10pm - what will TP say?

Sandy

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Setting Corrections for British Summer Time

OK JPG1 - I think I've cracked it!

If you go to the User Control Panel and Edit Options (just like for Visitor Messages) and scroll down, you will see a box for Date and Time Options.

The first box allows users to define their local time zone, the second box defines how TP should react to DST (Daylight Savings Time - the North American version of BST).

If you select the option to automatically detect DST options, the process should take care of iteself.

And click on Save Changes and you're done!

Take Care,

Sandy

Attachments

• date_time_options.jpg
    date_time_options.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 503

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Oh no, no, no, no,

Just checked and the settings were/are as you suggested.

But: when I went back to Alz TP main board - and then refreshed, suddenly clock set right!

Something fishy about this one.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Well, perhaps Said can enlighten us next week.

The problem is there are any number of controls on someone's PC or their browser before the web-based software even begins to kick in.

At least you're in the same time zone as the rest of us in the UK now.

Take care,

Sandy

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Eureka!

When logged in, times of posts are correct.

Log out - times are not correct, times are Spring minus 1.

Even though pc clock is correct, i.e. Spring sprung forward.

Mmmmm??:confused::confused: :confused::confused: :confused:

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
That makes sense.

When you're not logged in, the system has no access to your time zone and DST settings, so it probably works off the default settings for the Talking Point web server.

I tried changing the time settings on actual PC to California time and logged out of TP. When I viewed TP after that, all times were GMT - so it completely ignored any time settings on my computer, which is what you'de expect.

Each post must be recorded as a transaction on a TP database and given a time and date stamp. When someone is logged in that time and date stamp is displayed using their user settings. If they are not logged in the default TP time and date stamp applies.

Now just wait for Said to come back on Tuesday to tell me that my explanation is all bass ackwards :eek:.

Sandy

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
That makes sense

Now just wait for Said to come back on Tuesday to tell me that my explanation is all bass ackwards :eek:.

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy, you are a Wizard!

Does that mean that every non-logged-in Reader of TP will be seeing old (for want of a better word!) posting times? Bit like the Royal Mail, really.

And please explain "bass ackwards". OED version?

:cool:

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks, Margarita, but pc clock is fine. Says it is now 16:19.

As I said to Sandy, it's fine when logged in, but times are minus one hour when I log out.

So mysterious - no doubt the techies know what I've done wrong! Techies always do.

Thanks.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi JPG1

Does that mean that every non-logged-in Reader of TP will be seeing old (for want of a better word!) posting times? Bit like the Royal Mail, really.

Yep, that's it.

And please explain "bass ackwards". OED version?

Well, I doubt if OED has it (wrong shade of blue for me anyway - Cambridge Dictionary of Idioms didn't have it either).

Just transpose the 'b' from the start of the first word to the start of the second word - sort of a crude, North American version of "back-to-front".

Take care,

Sandy

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Privacy settings

... surely everybody's defaults should have been to 'off' unless they purposely understood the implications otherwise .......?????? And then to have to follow instructions to reach a level of privacy and protection ... some of which may come a lot easier to some than others ....?

Hi everyone

Just to be clear that with the new software, the idea is that all members are responsible for their own privacy settings. These can be adjusted as appropriate via the options available on your Control Panel.

I am sorry if some of you feel that this was not made explicit enough earlier…

Hopefully, Sandy’s clear and helpful posts will have answered some of your questions (thanks so much for these, Sandy :)), but the FAQs below should also be of use.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile

Katherine

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Thanks Katherine, can we clarify what I see as a hugely important point, namely:

In order to register, one must include date of birth in the process (e.g. for TP to identify parental consent is needed for a child)?

FAQs include good advice re privacy:

Talking Point is a public Internet forum and in such a virtual environment it is safest to retain privacy of identity - real name and contact details, address, telephone, e-mail.

Well, I consider my date of birth to be a pretty important part of my identity!!!!!!

But then one must go to their User CP to learn this: "Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below."

Obviously, I can't re-register to check this out ... but are new members 'warned' that some potentially 'identifying information' necessary to complete the registration process will be shared on the 'www' on their profile unless they expressly find the appropriate section to say otherwise?

I am sorry, but I find all this a little frightening - at the end of the day is this not a forum for dementia sufferers primarily and their carers as perhaps the secondary majority? - and aren't we supposed simplify things for them and not put them at any risk, or at least makes things straightforward for carers when little else in life is?

Please tell me there is some prompt at registration - and for existing members - that they are warned to recheck and amend their profiles /User CP if required... I know I have dared identify myself to some degree in a pretty 'general but suitably vague' way :rolleyes:- but I would not have wanted to confirm that identity to certain family who I suspect have been 'guesting' on the forum by having my dob confirmed to them!!!!!

I realise all members should in theory read all the guidelines ... but the 'rationale' for allowing immediate registration on TP is that people may be registering and posting at a time of crisis/urgency and surely we don't expect them to wade through all the T&Cs first?

Karen,

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Karen

New members are required to include their date of birth in the registration process – as they were before the upgrade. This is important, as it identifies children who are registering (at which point we require their parents/guardians to confirm membership).

Revealing your date of birth should not, by itself, compromise your security - as long as you follow the main rules when setting up any account on the internet. i.e. Do not use your real name, and do not post publicly about anything that could reveal your identity.

We are looking into the wording of both the email and the PM that new users receive upon registering, and we could include further information about how to protect your privacy online, if it is felt to be appropriate.

I would stress that with the new software, TP members actually have more options to restrict their privacy settings than before the upgrade. :)

I hope that clarifies things.

Best wishes
Katherine