Format for e-mailing COP forms

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
Has anyone had experience of e-mailing Court of Protection forms to their office?

If so, what format did you use for the completed documents and did the COP office specify any preference for the format of the documents? As far as I can see there are two file options or a combination of both:-

1 Scanned jpegs in a zipped folder with one jpeg per page sheet. Scanning every sheet would be very time consuming.

2 Individual jpegs converted into one pdf document for each COP form.

Obviously the signatures have to be included on the documents. It was easy to add my signature to my Deputy Declaration COP4 document from a scanned signature and it would be possible to do this for the other proposed deputy.

Unfortunately for the Application form, COP1, pdf document it seems impossible to insert the signature from jpeg images in the same way (possibly because two signatures are required) and I have had to create an ID which is OK, but I will also have to do the same for the other proposed deputy on the same document. I should imagine it is the same for the COP4 form as well.

The COP3 form that has been signed by the GP has been scanned into 12 separate jpeg documents anyway so that would have to be sent as such in a zipped folder regardless of the what format is used for the other documents. Alternatively it could be converted into one pdf document.

Many thanks.

EM

Poppyfields

Sep 12, 2013
I was told that I had to post them rather than email them - would be very interested in the replies to this thread!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry, but i was told to post them too. Instructions said to also include a photocopy of all the documents and this photocopy stamped with the case number and date was returned to me. I had to use the number and date on all subsequent documents.

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
Im sorry, but i was told to post them too. Instructions said to also include a photocopy of all the documents and this photocopy stamped with the case number and date was returned to me. I had to use the number and date on all subsequent documents.

Thank you for your reply canary.

Very strange that someone on here said they sent them by e-mail. I wonder if things have changed. I will let people know what they say to me.

In a Whirl

Feb 23, 2015
I was told it was Ok to send a COP5 in by email & then later a COP24. However I didn't get a receipt for the COP24 so rang up & was told by another person I should have sent the COp24 in by post. By the way there is I think a limit on the size of the email 2.7mb.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I've sent copious amounts of forms, witness statements, evidence and photos by email over the past five months and had no trouble. Just scanned them as normal word file documents and jpegs for photos. Took a long while to scan everything but had no problems and often sent several emails in a row if big files. Just make sure everything has the name and case number on and signed. Please be aware the majority of people in that office are not properly trained and often give incorrect information out thus making it all more complicated than it already is!!! Good luck. Xx

Last edited:

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
I was told it was Ok to send a COP5 in by email & then later a COP24. However I didn't get a receipt for the COP24 so rang up & was told by another person I should have sent the COp24 in by post. By the way there is I think a limit on the size of the email 2.7mb.

Thank you for your reply In a Whirl. I get the impression that the information from the COP differs depending on who you speak to. The individual file size is only about 300kb and my system can take 25mb so it seems strange that they can only take 2.7mb. When I e-mailed them before I heard back within the day, but this time I have e-mailed them for advice and it is now 3 days. Step father is sending me the cheque to go with it and if that arrives before their reply they will have to go by post!

Last edited:

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
I was told that I had to post them rather than email them - would be very interested in the replies to this thread!

I will let you know the outcome Poppyfields, IF they respond to my e-mail, otherwise I will have to post them.

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
I've sent copious amounts of forms, witness statements, evidence and photos by email over the past five months and had no trouble. Just scanned them as normal word file documents and jpegs for photos. Took a long while to scan everything but had no problems and often sent several emails in a row if big files. Just make sure everything has the name and case number on and signed. Please be aware the majority of people in that office are not properly trained and often give incorrect information out thus making it all more complicated than it already is!!! Good luck. Xx

Thanks tryingmybest. I also get the impression that some of the staff are not properly trained. All the forms were returned to me previously because I applied for exemption based on Mum's income going on the information I had been given and I was then told that it should be solely on P's income (Partner I assume). Very frustrating as it has delayed the whole process.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Hi. "P" is not the partner but the person who has lost capacity. Its all ridiculously confusing and I do feel for you as its upsetting enough having to do this anyway without all the complexities of poor advice and endless forms. Xx

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
I will keep you informed about e-mailing forms

Hello everyone.

Thanks for all your helpful comments and advice. I am likely to be posting the forms after all as I have not yet had a reply to my e-mail to the COP and don't want to delay the process any longer.

If I do received an e-mail I will post on here again letting you know the outcome on whether the forms can be e-mailed or not.

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
Hi. "P" is not the partner but the person who has lost capacity. Its all ridiculously confusing and I do feel for you as its upsetting enough having to do this anyway without all the complexities of poor advice and endless forms. Xx

The letter they sent actually had Mum's name as a heading with "P" written after it, but further down in the letter they say that it is solely based on HIM. Confusing or what? My guess is that it is a standard letter and they have forgotten to change "him" to "her."

I think this was sent back because of a technical error and it seems that Section 2 should have contained Mum’s details, but it asks for Your details which is different than the other forms where Your is the applicant.

I shall be pursuing this and letting them know that the letter they sent me was unclear and incorrect because my mother is not male! I was given incorrect advice in the first place. It seems that it is alright for them to make a mistake but not me.

Anyway, the forms went off again today with a cheque for £400 and we will worry about claiming back the money later. I pray that they do not find some minor error in the forms and use it as an yet another excuse to return them to me again.

Thanks for your help again.

EM