Formal Diagnosis Today

Feistywoman

Aug 11, 2018
My Mum had her CT scan results from January today and as suspected she has vascular dementia. She was given the option of Memantine which is obviously an unknown to us. A nurse service will be offered to her for a year for support, guidance and advice. I know this sounds grim but I think that my Mum is pretty late to be diagnosed as she is very confused quite often, sometimes imagines things like visitors, shows anger and aggression, other times perfectly lucid and aware of what’s happening. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to further reading about it other than the generic handout you get from Alzheimer’s Society? I realise there’s no one size fits all scenario but I’m just trying to get more of a handle on things.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
It does sound like your mother's dementia is relatively advanced, it's good that she is getting support from a nurse service. I know some members are fans of Teepa Snow videos (available on youtube) so that could be a starting point. I've also seen books recommended so hopefully another member will be along to recommend some more reading for you.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Most of the information and fact sheets are pretty much the same. The sister organizations in USA and Australia generally put out the same stuff so it could be worth visiting the local library and see if there is anything there to help.

There are some YouTube videos from the University of Tasmania that are helpful for those just starting out.

Feistywoman

Aug 11, 2018
Thank you all! I’d never considered YouTube so I’ll have a look along with the links too.
I’ve been gifted Contented Dementia so will be having a read at that too.
I’m just trying to do the best that I can for my Mum, trying to handle my own stress without adding to hers.

Feistywoman

Aug 11, 2018
Thanks @Sirena Ive just dipped into it this afternoon, I’m finding it a bit faffy to be honest.

I actually copied that link into my notebook that I carry with me so that when I’m struggling I can read it again and refocus.