1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. wilf

wilf Registered User

Mar 19, 2014
    Mum back with me after stay in hospital and now on "fork mashed food " diet to prevent aspiration. Sick of eating cottage pie and boil in the bag fish. Any ideas on alternative meals would be much appreciated.

2. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    #2 nellbelles, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Hope this might give you some ideas, I googled fork mashed diet and quite a number of links came up.

3. balloo

balloo Registered User

Sep 21, 2013
    northamptonshire

cauliflower cheese home made fish cakes ,

4. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Steak and kidney pudding, not pie, pastry can be difficult to swallow. Mild Chicken curry is usually cooked with so much sauce and meat becomes very tender and easy to break up, rice would probably be ok as long as it has plenty of sauce. Smooth meat/liver pate, wrap in tin foil, heat and serve with cheese sauce/ mash potato/ carrot and swede mash.

5. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    #5 jaymor, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Using a blender will help. My husband is on a pulved diet and can have sausage is blended into a soft mush so sausage and mash. You can do the same with chicken and gammon.

6. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    Wiltshire farm foods do puree, but B is near enough on mash but he likes cottage pie and fish and tinned mince and tinned stew pulled is good and of course smash potato, it's me that wants a steak.

Sponge and custards...........

7. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  8. wilf

wilf Registered User

Mar 19, 2014
    Thank you all for your advice. Now Mum back home she has been re assessed and the s.a.l.t. nurse has given the ok to return to a normal diet with caution.