Forgotten the toilet

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Hi @AbbyGee - I bought mine from Cheeky Wipes, but I may not be allowed to plug a supplier on here.
Basically they are small towelling flannels (6" x 6" ish), with 2 plastic tubs, one for clean, one for dirty. You put water and a few drops of essential oil (something like Chamomile, or Lavender, but you could omit) in the clean tub, and immerse the wipes so that they're damp, and ready to use. The dirty tub is filled with water and a few drops of tea tree oil. Used wipes soak in the dirty tub until you're ready to chuck them in the wash. They dry quite quickly, but you could put them straight from the machine into the clean tub, if necessary.

If you have any sewing skills, and the inclination, you could make something similar yourself. I don't!

I don't have any experience of babies either. I actually saw these on a TV programme - I'm beginning to think I'm watching too much daytime television.

All I need now is to find washable adult nappies, and my conscience will be clear....

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Home Bargains have small flannels for sale at less than a pound for 4. The edges are overlooked rather than hemmed so probably perfect as washable wipes.

Suesue.G.

Aug 9, 2020
I just want to update our toilet issues. I have been using puppy pads, as kindly suggested by AbbyGee, and have found they are much better thsn using towels. Thank you AbbyGee.?

Bob Simpson

Jul 12, 2020
My father has the same problem, at first pads were used to try and contain it, which was a partially success but also left him sitting in a wet pad a lot of the time. Night time was also a problem and we were having a lot of wet beds.
A month ago I tried using a condom sheath with a leg bag. It has transformed my father's life. It's a proper game-changer. He still needs managing as he still insists on going to the toilet and needs to be questioned whether it a number one or two.
He also wears it during the night with a night bag and so far dry every night.
The company I used is called Coloplast, they have been very helpful, it is available on prescription. I would advise anyone who is having these problems to give it a try. It may not work for everyone and I do not know if there is a female version. It had made a lot of difference to my dad regarding being able to go out and round to other peoples houses without making a mess.
Good luck.

RachelH

Jan 21, 2021
Cant help you much as I dont know where she got them from. Daughter seems to use them with some sort of wash lotion
I may be a little late to this conversation but Tena do a wash mousse and a wash cream that do not need to be rinsed after using abs are kind to the skin. Instead of flannels or wipes I use an old brushed cotton flannel shirt cut up as mini wipes then pop into a nappy bin to wash.

Piper12

Nov 20, 2021
My OH has just started with this problem and I can’t tell you how useful I have found this advise i will be buy puppy pads tomorrow

seanah

Nov 26, 2021
Hi
My husband has suddenly forgotten that when you go to the toilet you need to sit on the toilet to do your business. A couple of times this week he has just stood there and done it in his pants. He knows he's doing it but doesn't understand that he should be sat on the loo. Any advice would be welcome.
I would contact your local continence clinic and they will provide pads foc

Paul mc

Jul 30, 2020
Hello, I've been attending to my wife's toileting needs for about five years now and we've been through pretty much all the routines needed to help keep her relaxed and clean, many already mentioned her I guess. I found the foamburst type of cleaning foam very effective and pleasant and fragrant to use, especially in the early years when my wife could still stand in the shower to wash off any poo after her pad was removed .
Similarly, and now that I have to clean her away from the bathroom, I use a dry wash foam to clean her up. This foam cleans well and afterwards any remainder can be left on the skin leaving something of a protective barrier .
I use non disposable dry wipes and pop them in a nappy bag for appropriate disposal. I suspect some " flushable " wipes are semi plastic and if so not really eco .

Bill mac

May 10, 2020
Hi
My husband has suddenly forgotten that when you go to the toilet you need to sit on the toilet to do your business. A couple of times this week he has just stood there and done it in his pants. He knows he's doing it but doesn't understand that he should be sat on the loo. Any advice would be welcome.
Hello , my wife started with the same problem you have with your husband , i have found it easier to go with her to make sure removes her clothing , she tells me when she needs to go , but i suppose you must do what is best for the two of you, good luck and take care.

Ekaterina

Aug 22, 2021
Hi
My husband has suddenly forgotten that when you go to the toilet you need to sit on the toilet to do your business. A couple of times this week he has just stood there and done it in his pants. He knows he's doing it but doesn't understand that he should be sat on the loo. Any advice would being welcome.
Hello, Sorry for the late reply. I'm afraid that pants/pads are the next step. My partner can no longer tell when he needs to go to the loo. The advice I have had is to remind him every hour or so but I still have to take and direct him. Sometimes it's simply not possible to do this all the time so having the pants on saves a lot of faffing about.
He has a convene on at night which, now I've mastered it properly, works wonders. Before, I was washing sheets, bed protectors every day. I'm fortunate that he is not an agitated PWD so is pretty cooperative but the double incontinence has been challenging, on the whole. I've learnt to detach 'IT' from 'HIM'. If he seems puzzled or upset I say to him that it's the brain not sending the right messages and that happens to me sometimes too! It seems to help (me more than him!). The emotional side to all of this is often overlooked. Hope this helps!

Chrissy3

Apr 1, 2020
UK
I have used puppy mats too. You can also get absorbent mats (like the puppy mats but bigger) for any fabric chairs you might have. My husband has had all the incontinence issues you all raised and he refuses help to clean himself so he often has seepage which is on his pants and is impossible to get the odour out of fabric. I also put them round the toilet and anywhere I think he might use as a toilet. They are a real bonus.

SouWester

Dec 11, 2012
Devon
When I learned that my wife had dementia I tried to find out when most families gave up and said it was time for the 'patient' to go into a home. The general answer was that it happened when they became incontinent and needed cleaning. I was re-fitting the bathroom and decided to put in one of the new bidet loos, if you haven't seen them they are a normal WC but with a bidet spray and dryer in them. The result was only a qualified success, yes the cleaning worked like a charm but I had left it too late for my wife to accept and get used to it. Originally they were VERY expensive (around £3500!) plus fitting. But like many things their prices came down once the novelty wears off, now they can be had for £450, again plus fitting. Although this still is not cheap, if they delay the move to a care home for a few months they have paid for themselves and the family has stayed together too.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I found something called a bidet bowl quite useful. Sits in the toilet bowl, and you can wash the person whilst they are sitting. Mum found it difficult to stand for any length of time, and couldn't get into bath / shower. She only needed to stand long enough for me to pop it under the seat, once she had actually been to the loo.

Nanny flo

Mar 26, 2017
I now have to accompany my OH to the bathroom as he no longer remembers where it is. Once there I determine whether it's a 'Stand Up' or a 'Sit Down' session and talk him through each step of the way. Sadly, bum wiping has become the latest must-do as he gets in a right old pickle and I've discovered used paper in all manner of places.

I'm looking for a blue loo seat - Navy Blue's his fave colour and (selfishly) I just couldn't bear a red one.
I now have to accompany my OH to the bathroom as he no longer remembers where it is. Once there I determine whether it's a 'Stand Up' or a 'Sit Down' session and talk him through each step of the way. Sadly, bum wiping has become the latest must-do as he gets in a right old pickle and I've discovered used paper in all manner of places.

I'm looking for a blue loo seat - Navy Blue's his fave colour and (selfishly) I just couldn't bear a red one.
Hi AbbyGee:
There’s a website called alzproducts that sell blue toilet seats ?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
@AbbyGee So many possibilities!

i bought one of these on another big website and found the hinges kept loosening and so the seat keep moving. may have just been me.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have constant problems with loosening hinges and broken toilet seats, even if I buy good quality ones. Its actually because OH doesnt just sit on the toilet - he collapses onto it.

He has also broken the springs on the sofa and an armchair

GDC

Sep 27, 2021
Has anyone tried installing a toilet accessory like the Luxe Bidet? It can be added to any standard toilet system and using existing water line. It mounts right under the toilet seat. That splash of cold water might a bit much if they are not accustomed to it but it does help a lot with clean up. Same principle as standard Bidet but without having to move your bottom over to a separate porcelain. You can find them online (Amazon) or in some stores such as Walmart here in the states.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1