Forgotten the toilet

PetAng59

Oct 11, 2020
Barnsley
Hi
My husband has suddenly forgotten that when you go to the toilet you need to sit on the toilet to do your business. A couple of times this week he has just stood there and done it in his pants. He knows he's doing it but doesn't understand that he should be sat on the loo. Any advice would be welcome.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi. I’m afraid you’re have to accompany him to the toilet and direct him.

Perhaps it’s time to consider using pads or pull-ups to make cleaning him easier if he won’t accept your help in the bathroom.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It might also help to have a brightly coloured toilet seat (best colour is red) so that he can see the toilet more easily, which might help remind him of what to do.
You will almost certainly also need to go in with him to direct him, though

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
It might also help to have a brightly coloured toilet seat (best colour is red) so that he can see the toilet more easily, which might help remind him of what to do.
You will almost certainly also need to go in with him to direct him, though
I have the same issue with my wife. I'd find the toilet floor wet but she insisted it was that woman she continually sees around the house. I now go with her for every visit even although I'm continually up and down making sure she's not going herself but hygienically, it's worth the effort.

When I go in with her she quite often wants to sit down with her pants still on. Also, you'll find if he's a bit constipated they attempt to dig it out. I tend to line her pants with Kotex Pads.

PetAng59

Oct 11, 2020
Barnsley
Thank both for your comments, I will look into getting a new toilet seat. I have already started going with him too.
Much appreciated.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
I now have to accompany my OH to the bathroom as he no longer remembers where it is. Once there I determine whether it's a 'Stand Up' or a 'Sit Down' session and talk him through each step of the way. Sadly, bum wiping has become the latest must-do as he gets in a right old pickle and I've discovered used paper in all manner of places.

I'm looking for a blue loo seat - Navy Blue's his fave colour and (selfishly) I just couldn't bear a red one.

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
Hi
My husband has suddenly forgotten that when you go to the toilet you need to sit on the toilet to do your business. A couple of times this week he has just stood there and done it in his pants. He knows he's doing it but doesn't understand that he should be sat on the loo. Any advice would be welcome.
I do sympathise with you .my wife has a different problem regarding the toilet. She finds it difficult to line up with the pan so a frame around the toilet has almost solved the problem .the other problem is that sometimes she asks what have I got to do i.e. to prepare her clothing, sometimes if i miss seeing her go to the toilet she will lower her trousers or raise her skirt but forget to pull down her pants and then follows the change of soiled clothes and clean up.sorry for the graphics but that's how it is.

Suesue.G.

Aug 9, 2020
We are starting to have toilet problems too. My OH takes himself to the loo but I often find the floor soaking wet after he has been. He doesn't seem able to direct it into the pan. I always go with him for a "sit down job", as he calls it. I hand him the paper and the flushable wipes. Looks like I am going to have to accompany him all the time now.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
@Suesue.G. I found the same problem with the widdle dribbles and piddly misses and had to rid the bathroom of the mats. I wasn't too unhappy at that as I despise the fluffy pedestal mats anyway.

I now buy Puppy Training Pads which I tuck around the base of the loo and hold in place with the toilet frame. They get changed every day. Quick wipe of the floor and a spray of nice smelling disinfectant and job done. It's sad they're just adding to landfill but one has to make choices, eh?

The tiled floor still needs a good old going over every two or three days but it's solved the problem of it being awash and the bathroom no longer smells like a gents urinal. (Please don't ask how I know the smell of gents' urinals - it's too long a story and you really wouldn't want to hear it.)

I won't use flushable wipes. For the polishing up after paper I use baby wipes and pop them in a nappy sack.

Suesue.G.

Aug 9, 2020
AbbyGee, that is brilliant advice! I have been putting old towels around the base of the pan and washing them everyday, but I like the puppy pad idea better. I usually disinfect the floor everyday as well. Thank you! ?

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I have an aversion to baby wipes, so have invested in a washable towelling version, designed for babies. I've had them 18 months, and still going strong. Don't have the dribbly pee problem, but do have the wearing most of your meal on your face and hands!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i use anti-bac wipes on the floor and on the toilet. i dont flush but put in the bin so dont block the drains. lemon normally. also use cleaner and bleach as well. hes not to bad around the toilet but i just use anti-bac wipes there as well for dribbles. puddles is a mop and plenty of bleach.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
I have an aversion to baby wipes, so have invested in a washable towelling version, designed for babies. I've had them 18 months, and still going strong. Don't have the dribbly pee problem, but do have the wearing most of your meal on your face and hands!
When I say 'Polishing Up' I mean round the nether regions, not the floor. I've found Aldi's Sensitive wipes are economical and very good. And no complaints from the OH, either.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When I say 'Polishing Up' I mean round the nether regions, not the floor. I've found Aldi's Sensitive wipes are economical and very good. And no complaints from the OH, either.
I think @lollyc does mean the nether regions - my daughter with a young baby dislikes baby wipes too and has a system of washable towelling wipes which sound the same. She says they work better than baby wipes, but then, what do I know as its a long time since I had a baby...........

Jochris

Sep 4, 2020
Thank you Abby Gee that's great advice
Ive been having the same problem with my OH too. Most of the pee goes on the floor of the bathroom. I've been folding towels up and putting them close to the toilet but the puppy training pads sound better.
The sitting down is a problem too. He goes on his own to the loo and won't let me 'direct' him. So sometimes the ..... is on the toilet seat. Methinks I'll have to insist to go and make sure everything is ok.
Eh dear! I never used to write like this. But I'm grateful for the help I get here.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I think @lollyc does mean the nether regions - my daughter with a young baby dislikes baby wipes too and has a system of washable towelling wipes which sound the same. She says they work better than baby wipes, but then, what do I know as its a long time since I had a baby...........
That's right @canary! I'm not an ecowarrior, but I was absolutely horrified by the number of wipes that carers used, when Mum was bedbound. I use them for nether regions too, and they have much more traction than a disposable wipe. In fact I've just paused mid-post to wipe marmalady hands and face with one.
I have a lot of guilt about how much landfill we are generating, what with the incontinence pants etc., so this is a small way to ease my conscience.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
That's right @canary! I'm not an ecowarrior, but I was absolutely horrified by the number of wipes that carers used, when Mum was bedbound. I use them for nether regions too, and they have much more traction than a disposable wipe. In fact I've just paused mid-post to wipe marmalady hands and face with one.
I have a lot of guilt about how much landfill we are generating, what with the incontinence pants etc., so this is a small way to ease my conscience.
you have to be so careful using wipes down there as it can cause thrush with the baby wipes as there is chemicals in them. i use a feminine wash down there rather than soap or anything else. they make babies bottoms sore as well. when mine were small, i used to use baby lotion ones or cotton wool and baby lotion so there was more of a barrier.
a doctor also said that to use sudocrem sparingly as it will make the skin hot if applied too thickly

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
@lollyc @canary
These washable towelling wipes ... can you point me in the right direction to take a look at them, please?
The only ones I see on Amazon look like they're just wash flannels so would, presumably, need to be used with soap and water.
Just to add - I have no personal experience of nappies or baby bums so this is all new territory and I'm not sure I want to venture there.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
@lollyc @canary
These washable towelling wipes ... can you point me in the right direction to take a look at them, please?
The only ones I see on Amazon look like they're just wash flannels so would, presumably, need to be used with soap and water.
Cant help you much as I dont know where she got them from. Daughter seems to use them with some sort of wash lotion