Forgetting words & getting muddled

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
This past week I’ve noticed a sudden change which is beginning to get embarrassing.
When I’m talking to someone husband, sons, friends etc I keep either forgetting the word or worse still using the wrong one or a completely made up word!?
Also, my writing has changed I mess up so many cards?
Does anyone else with short term memory problems have these issues too?
Thank you all for your time it’s much appreciated :)

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello again @PJ, yes, this is a problem that my wife has encountered. Her PET scan showed shrinkage in both the memory centre and the language centre of her brain. I try to help her by daily playing on-line games like word searches and spot the difference as well as helping her with crosswords and some basic study of new material. This seems to be keeping her problems to a minimum at the moment - aided by her Meds, of course. If I remember correctly, aren't you being referred for a SPECT scan - maybe this will provide some answers for you and will enable you to develop your own aids. When it comes to learning it is important to learn something new rather than just maintain an old hobby(although that would also help) - this is why I introduced my wife to word searches as she had never done them before and now finds them both useful and enjoyable.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Just thought of another thing you may find useful @PJ.
A Language Therapist told my wife about a system called circumlocution and she took to it like a fish to water. The system is that if you can't get a word, you describe around it. So, for example, if my wife is looking for her purse, and can't find the word 'purse', she will say have you seen that black thing that I put money in. Then I am able to say 'oh you're looking for your purse', and tell her where it is. Prior to this, my wife would have said something like 'have you seen that thingymebob that I keep in my whatyoumecallit, and I would have been saying 'sorry I don't know what you're talking about'. The system has worked quite well for us. It's a bit like using a crossword clue rather than the actual word, so is useful when talking to a spouse, or someone of that nature.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi KPete
Thank you so much for all the helpful tips. I forgot how much I used to enjoy spot the difference & word searches until you mentioned them :)
I think the idea of using other words to work around the lost word sounds very helpful & hopefully will help avoid the anger & frustration I feel & my poor husband suffers.
Yes, you remembered I have my spect scan 6/3 it can’t come round fast enough.
I hope you & your wife have a good day. My plan is to pop out & get some puzzle books to do with my husband :)

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
@PJ, I have the same thing about forgetting words, even names. At my first memory clinic visit the psychologist asked the names of my son and his children and I replied quite normally until I got to my eldest grand daughter, then there was a gap as her name just would not come to me. It came in the end but it was unnerving and it was noted by the doctor.

I've had a sudden change, too. The last couple of weeks I go to a cupboard which has 2 doors, left and right, and the item I want to get is on the right but I open the door on the left. It keeps happening. To do with spatial awareness I suppose. Not earth shattering, just one more little thing that's different from before.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
@PJ, I have the same thing about forgetting words, even names. At my first memory clinic visit the psychologist asked the names of my son and his children and I replied quite normally until I got to my eldest grand daughter, then there was a gap as her name just would not come to me. It came in the end but it was unnerving and it was noted by the doctor.

I've had a sudden change, too. The last couple of weeks I go to a cupboard which has 2 doors, left and right, and the item I want to get is on the right but I open the door on the left. It keeps happening. To do with spatial awareness I suppose. Not earth shattering, just one more little thing that's different from before.
Hi Tricot
Can I ask have you been given a diagnosis. Sorry if you have told me before.
I understand what you mean with the cupboard issue. Like you said not earth shattering but another annoying change all the same.
I try to speak to people & seem to make silly mistakes most of the time? I’ve decided to do puzzles like K Pete suggested.
Thank you for letting me know it’s very helpful :)

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hello PJ, No diagnosis yet. 3rd memory clinic visit next month to be followed up with PET scan (similar to SPECT) and lumbar puncture if I agree. The memory clinic doctor thinks my problems are caused by depression not dementia but unfortunately a change of anti-depressant hasn't helped either the depression or memory loss. These changes are very disconcerting, aren't they, whatever the cause. I'm glad you have a supportive family. My husband is a lot older than me and not in good health. I need to be on the ball especially as he doesn't speak any French. Take care.

dbrilyant

Sep 14, 2014
This past week I’ve noticed a sudden change which is beginning to get embarrassing.
When I’m talking to someone husband, sons, friends etc I keep either forgetting the word or worse still using the wrong one or a completely made up word!?
Also, my writing has changed I mess up so many cards?
Does anyone else with short term memory problems have these issues too?
Thank you all for your time it’s much appreciated :)

dbrilyant

Sep 14, 2014
Good to hear from a fellow,
Talking round lost words is effective as explained by one of Alan Aickbourn's talking heads. Or relaxing in hope another path to the missing word will come if you stop worrying.
As for cards....write on a piece of paper and enclose it or stick it in.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Good to hear from a fellow,
Talking round lost words is effective as explained by one of Alan Aickbourn's talking heads. Or relaxing in hope another path to the missing word will come if you stop worrying.
As for cards....write on a piece of paper and enclose it or stick it in.
Hi dbrilyabt
Are you suffering too? I find when I’m home it’s fine as it really doesn’t matter in fact we try to laugh it off as much as possible. But today I treated myself to a manicure & found myself getting very muddled whilst the girl (who knows me from other visits) was chatting with me.
On a positive note I am doing puzzles every day now :)

Maria1952

Nov 17, 2012
Just thought of another thing you may find useful @PJ.
A Language Therapist told my wife about a system called circumlocution and she took to it like a fish to water. The system is that if you can't get a word, you describe around it. So, for example, if my wife is looking for her purse, and can't find the word 'purse', she will say have you seen that black thing that I put money in. Then I am able to say 'oh you're looking for your purse', and tell her where it is. Prior to this, my wife would have said something like 'have you seen that thingymebob that I keep in my whatyoumecallit, and I would have been saying 'sorry I don't know what you're talking about'. The system has worked quite well for us. It's a bit like using a crossword clue rather than the actual word, so is useful when talking to a spouse, or someone of that nature.
I call broccoli, green cauliflower...does that count :) My husband and I can communicate quite well now instead of him getting annoyed with me! I have strange descriptions for all sorts of things!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I call broccoli, green cauliflower...does that count :) My husband and I can communicate quite well now instead of him getting annoyed with me! I have strange descriptions for all sorts of things!
That counts, keep up the good work.(That's me in teacher mode!):)
I have to say that when my wife was first diagnosed we were contacted by many people and this was one of just 2 things that we found useful. It really is something that transformed how my wife speaks. Unfortunately, my wife's language skills do continue to slowly deteriorate but the circumlocution continues to hold good.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi @PJ, I just thought of another thing that I recently found helpful with my wife - body language.

One morning my wife asked "Can I use the meruder?" As I looked up I was thinking "The what?", but noticed she was leaning towards the computer. She had lost the word but her position told me what the proper word was. Maybe another thing that can be explored as an aid.

Daffy123

Feb 1, 2018
I struggle to find some words. i might say something like a fillet of fish instead of fillet of chicken. I'm menopausal and have mild dyslexia. I also suffered a decade of domestic violence.
I haven't had anything checked out, as for now I presume thing are fairly normal. i certainly know that menopausal women can have memory lapses.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi @PJ, I just thought of another thing that I recently found helpful with my wife - body language.

One morning my wife asked "Can I use the meruder?" As I looked up I was thinking "The what?", but noticed she was leaning towards the computer. She had lost the word but her position told me what the proper word was. Maybe another thing that can be explored as an aid.
Sounds like you & your wife communicate really well :) Your advice & input is much appreciated.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
I struggle to find some words. i might say something like a fillet of fish instead of fillet of chicken. I'm menopausal and have mild dyslexia. I also suffered a decade of domestic violence.
I haven't had anything checked out, as for now I presume thing are fairly normal. i certainly know that menopausal women can have memory lapses.
Hi Daffy have you had blood tests to confirm the menopause? I’m sure you can understand the frustration when the word just won’t come to mind. It’s very helpful to talk with others about it.
For me, it is a fairly new thing I’m not menopausal but it could be down to depression I suffered some years ago? I just don’t know but I’m hoping my brain scan will give some answers!

duckface

Apr 5, 2016
this might help with anchoring things in mind... good luck...

What is spaced retrieval therapy?

an intervention that has been used for a variety of memory deficits, including
  • semantic memory (i.e., remembering facts such as names of people and objects, current year, city and facility of residence, room number);
  • procedural memory (i.e., remembering to perform some action, such as how to get out of a chair, swallowing techniques);
  • prospective memory (i.e., remembering future appointments, activities or tasks, such as looking at a calendar, taking medication); and
  • recent episodic memory (i.e., remembering recent personal events such as one’s birthday, a dinner party).”
(1) several functional targets (such as the examples above) are selected.
(2) then one target is focused on at a time until maintenance level is achieved.
(3) ask a question to elicit the target. If answered correctly, increase the time interval and ask the question again. If answered incorrectly, provide immediate correction and ask question again at last correct time interval.

Some information is easier to train than other information. Previously known information (e.g. family members’ names) are trained faster than new information (e.g. nurse’s name).

Tactus Therapy SRT app
  • Spaced Retrieval Therapy uses a scientifically proven method to help people with dementia or other memory impairments actively train to recall important information.
  • Recalling an answer over multiplying intervals of time, such as 1 minute, 2 minutes, 8 minutes, and so on, helps to cement the information in memory.
  • Spaced Retrieval Therapy is an enhanced interval timer with independent data tracking and prompts. It automatically increases the time between prompts with correct responses and decreases it with incorrect ones.
  • Work on up to three targets at once
  • Keeps track of expanding intervals
  • Works in the background while doing other therapy exercises
  • Prompts on screen and with sound when it’s time to ask again
  • Tracks performance accuracy and interval data automatically
  • Available on Apple App Store and Android Google Play Store

Daffy123

Feb 1, 2018
Hi Daffy have you had blood tests to confirm the menopause? I’m sure you can understand the frustration when the word just won’t come to mind. It’s very helpful to talk with others about it.
For me, it is a fairly new thing I’m not menopausal but it could be down to depression I suffered some years ago? I just don’t know but I’m hoping my brain scan will give some answers!
Most certainly in the post menopause as haven't had a monthly in a bit over a year. I know the menopause is linked to foggy thinking. Plus i think we all get that moment when we go downstairs and forget what it was for? I sometimes start something upstairs go downstairs and get one with something else, then come upstairs to suddenly remember what i had been doing!
I read somewhere that we can only hold some much stuff in our brains and any one time. I think it was eight things. For instance, pick up the dog at kennel, collect prescription, buy plasters etc. Apparently, if you add more most people will forget one. Perhaps, slip ups are just very busy and stressful lives? I hope struggling to find the right word sometimes is not the first signs of something ominous. Occasionally, I've come out with a sounds like word. (I did in my twenties have plenty of blows to the head due to DV)
I'm keeping an eye on my problem and I hope that nothing serious evolves.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar