Forgetting words & getting muddled

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
We are still in Cyprus for a few weeks yet. I once read that the part of Cyprus where we winter has never seen snowfall. In the 3 winters we have been here we haven't even seen frost. This last winter has been as good as the summers we get in N Ireland! I brought a jumper to wear at night and it has remained on it's hanger since we arrived.
I am well, thanks, and my wife is good overall, although she has bad spells where the confusion etc., overwhelms her somewhat. I just keep up the caring and talking therapy and we muddle along very well really.
Enjoy your day too. :)
Ah how lovely Cyprus is beautiful & you still have s few more weeks! We are looking to book a holiday perhaps Greece in June. I really feel we need the break. Enjoy the sun & blue skies it’s freezing here today ha ha

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Ah how lovely Cyprus is beautiful & you still have s few more weeks! We are looking to book a holiday perhaps Greece in June. I really feel we need the break. Enjoy the sun & blue skies it’s freezing here today ha ha
Yes, we've had 3 winters in Cyprus. About 12 years ago we started to plan to spend our winters here as soon as our youngest was out of Uni and we could transfer funds used for his maintenance to paying long term rent in Cyprus. Unfortunately my wife's slide into dementia started about 4-5 years ago so the first 2 winters were spent with me struggling with an undiagnosed PWD. Last summer my wife was diagnosed and got great benefit from the meds; which was added to my different reaction to her, now explained, behaviour. With all that added to the even better than usual weather this year the past winter has been just great for both of us. We get the occasional bad day due to Alzheimer's but everyone gets the odd bad day so neither of us is complaining. This is why I'm always repeating that it's possible to live well with dementia.:)

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
I was prescribed Brintellix about 3 months ago after the memory clinic doctor wrote his report saying that he thought the memory problems were due to depression. Brintellix is supposed to improve cognitive function as well as lift depression. It didn't help me and in fact I've had some of the worst days ever. I'm going to stop taking it as soon as I hear from the doctor the best way to do it. She's already tried increasing the dosage. Before that I've tried most of the SSRI anti-depressants including Citalopram. I seem to be treatment resistant. I used to be unwilling to take medication but now I would take anything if it would help.

Just wondered if by any chance you take thyroid medication? I'm reading that if treatment is inadequate, memory and other neuro problems can result. It's probably only applicable to a tiny percentage of people but you never know.

Have you got snow over there? It's just started snowing here buy my daughter in law in the Midlands said it was 6" deep there yesterday. So much for springtime! Hope you have a good day and maybe some good news. kPete is quite right "The next thing to remember is that, whatever the result, life will go on and will be as good as you and yours make it."
Hi @Tricot no I don’t have thyroid problems so no meds for that. How frustrating for you to not find anything to help you.
I have to agree with Pete, finding a cure in a box of pills is prob not the best way but in saying that the pills along with a supportive partner has helped me lots of the years. Just of no help with my cognitive issues :(
Yes, we have had snow here again but its almost all melted now.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Yes, we've had 3 winters in Cyprus. About 12 years ago we started to plan to spend our winters here as soon as our youngest was out of Uni and we could transfer funds used for his maintenance to paying long term rent in Cyprus. Unfortunately my wife's slide into dementia started about 4-5 years ago so the first 2 winters were spent with me struggling with an undiagnosed PWD. Last summer my wife was diagnosed and got great benefit from the meds; which was added to my different reaction to her, now explained, behaviour. With all that added to the even better than usual weather this year the past winter has been just great for both of us. We get the occasional bad day due to Alzheimer's but everyone gets the odd bad day so neither of us is complaining. This is why I'm always repeating that it's possible to live well with dementia.:)
@karaokePete You certainly sound like you’re both making the most of life & having fun :)

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Today I had my scan results from the memory clinic. They were described as subtle changes in the brain, She said I don't have anything that needs urgent attention (no tumours). They uncovered changes in the brain. I have early signs of dementia.
My next appointment is the first week of May and in between now and then she wants me to make lots of notes so we can go through it all (with her and my husband) at the memory clinic. She also said I can have some tablets that will help with mood, anxiety and other things. Does anyone else use these tablets or know what they are going to be like?
@karaokePete and @Tricot I wanted you to be the first to know. You have both been such a support. I hope you are both well. I am not surprised with the result I have been given. I feel like I already knew. But I do feel sad.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Aw @PJ that's bad news, but there is a good element. Bad about the dementia, but good about the care and understanding you will now get because there is a diagnosed reason for the symptoms you experience.
You and your husband will now likely experience a period that feels like grief(anticipatory grief); we did but in my case it has passed and in my wife's case it has eased. Depression and anxiety may kick in and initially my wife was put on Duloxetine and Pregabilin when she was at the MCI stage - which helped her function but didn't help with the symptoms of the dementia. My wife's dementia was eventually diagnosed as being caused by Alzheimer's(the most common cause) and she was put on Donepezil and Memantine which have helped with the dementia symptoms. My wife takes the Alzheimer's meds at night and she has tolerated them well. If she takes those meds in the morning they make her feel very sick(a common side effect).

This is the time when you should read all my posts again to remind yourself of what I have said about being able to live well with dementia because every word I have written is the truth. If you have any questions at all just ask away. Try your best to stay positive as it's not the end of the world.

If it has not already been suggested, now is the time to make sure things like POA, Wills etc., are sorted out. Apart from that, another thing I did was move forward plans for renovating our apartment so that things like the bathroom and kitchen would better suit future needs and my wife would have time to enjoy and get used to the new layouts before they would cause confusion.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hello @PJ, Thank you for letting us know. I don't know what to say to you other than I couldn't be more sorry to read your news. I am shedding tears now as I feel I know you and as you've pointed out, our paths are very similar. Though you felt you already knew, it must be a massive blow to have it confirmed. Thank goodness you have a supportive husband and family. You will all be suffering from shock. But now you're diagnosed, you're going to benefit from suitable care and early treatment which can slow the progress. Perhaps between now and the first week of May you and your husband could have the holiday you were talking about? Benefit from kPete's advice. Be kind to yourself. There will still be lots of positives to take pleasure in. Thinking of you and and your family. xxx

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Aw @PJ that's bad news, but there is a good element. Bad about the dementia, but good about the care and understanding you will now get because there is a diagnosed reason for the symptoms you experience.
You and your husband will now likely experience a period that feels like grief(anticipatory grief); we did but in my case it has passed and in my wife's case it has eased. Depression and anxiety may kick in and initially my wife was put on Duloxetine and Pregabilin when she was at the MCI stage - which helped her function but didn't help with the symptoms of the dementia. My wife's dementia was eventually diagnosed as being caused by Alzheimer's(the most common cause) and she was put on Donepezil and Memantine which have helped with the dementia symptoms. My wife takes the Alzheimer's meds at night and she has tolerated them well. If she takes those meds in the morning they make her feel very sick(a common side effect).

This is the time when you should read all my posts again to remind yourself of what I have said about being able to live well with dementia because every word I have written is the truth. If you have any questions at all just ask away. Try your best to stay positive as it's not the end of the world.

If it has not already been suggested, now is the time to make sure things like POA, Wills etc., are sorted out. Apart from that, another thing I did was move forward plans for renovating our apartment so that things like the bathroom and kitchen would better suit future needs and my wife would have time to enjoy and get used to the new layouts before they would cause confusion.
Hi Pete it’s good to hear from you & read your positive post :) I plan to remain as positive as possible. I told my two sons this evening, I found that hard as my eldest is training as a police officer & has a lot going on at the mo & I didn’t want to add to it but he was supportive, as was my younger son who lives with us (& his gf) so they have seen how things have been for sometime now.
Hope you’re still both enjoying the sunshine. Take care x

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hello @PJ, Thank you for letting us know. I don't know what to say to you other than I couldn't be more sorry to read your news. I am shedding tears now as I feel I know you and as you've pointed out, our paths are very similar. Though you felt you already knew, it must be a massive blow to have it confirmed. Thank goodness you have a supportive husband and family. You will all be suffering from shock. But now you're diagnosed, you're going to benefit from suitable care and early treatment which can slow the progress. Perhaps between now and the first week of May you and your husband could have the holiday you were talking about? Benefit from kPete's advice. Be kind to yourself. There will still be lots of positives to take pleasure in. Thinking of you and and your family. xxx
Hi Tricot, thank you for your kind words. You’re right it feels like a massive blow actually hearing the words & having my fears confirmed. But at the same time it feels good to finally know what’s wrong of that there is something going on & it's not just me!
You’ll be pleased to know we have booked a holiday :) we are off to Menorca for 10 day’s in June & we cannot wait.
Big hugs to you too. I hope you are well xx

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hi @PJ Have been wondering how you are getting on? Not ideal weather for an Easter weekend but I hope you're making the most of it. Menorca in June sounds much more appealing, nice to have that to look forward to.

As for me, I've stopped the anti-depressants. 3 months was long enough to confirm they were no help at all. I received a copy of the memory clinic report which said I had a "fixation" about my memory loss and about my husband's illness! Well, yes, because both of them have been going on for more than a year with no explanation perhaps I am a bit fixated. I don't know if the SPECT scan will go ahead now. Although I felt there'd been a deterioration, the tests results didn't agree. I think the doctor thinks it's all in my mind. (Joke!)

Take care. x

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi @Tricot good to hear from you but I feel your frustration. Only you know how much you are struggling & sometimes getting any sort of diagnosis can seem to take forever :( Mine has taken approx 2 1/2 yrs.
Have they suggested anything or have they simply said you’re ‘fixated’. They don’t sound particularly helpful or understanding to me.
Have a good Easter Sunday with plenty of chocolate :)

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
No, nothing else suggested. I have a July appointment at the University Hospital Memory Centre with the guy who will decide yes or no for the SPECT scan. At the moment I'm just concentrating on nutrition and exercise to try and keep the depression at bay. I'm amazed at the power of micro-nutrients. Might not do anything for memory but I'm trying to be as healthy as I can be. Luckily dark chocolate is very good for you - I prefer Cadbury's milk chocolate but I'm persevering with the healthier stuff !

Hope you've had a good Easter. It's supposed to warm up soon.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
No, nothing else suggested. I have a July appointment at the University Hospital Memory Centre with the guy who will decide yes or no for the SPECT scan. At the moment I'm just concentrating on nutrition and exercise to try and keep the depression at bay. I'm amazed at the power of micro-nutrients. Might not do anything for memory but I'm trying to be as healthy as I can be. Luckily dark chocolate is very good for you - I prefer Cadbury's milk chocolate but I'm persevering with the healthier stuff !

Hi Tricot. I note the position concerning the SPECT scan. I'm given to understand that these PET or SPECT scans are often left to last because they are so expensive and suppose CT/MRI scans are used first to see if they can help with a diagnosis without going further. Given what you have said about the Memory Clinic report I suspect, like you that they may not be too willing to go to the SPECT scan. If I were you I would impress upon them that the scan is likely to be definitive about any brain damage, or the absence thereof, so will help enormously with getting help if you do have dementia or accepting alternative help for depression/anxiety if you don't. Either way it would surely be worth it for the sake of your mental health.
In my wife's case the MRI and CT scans just showed vascular damage so she was given a diagnosis of 'possible' mixed dementia. It was the PET scan that showed the brain shrinkage in 2 areas and led to a firming up of the diagnosis. If it hadn't been for that she may still be on meds for depression and anxiety only. It's a fact that a definitive diagnosis can only be made post mortem but these PET and SPECT scans can give enough evidence for a confident diagnosis, especially when added to all the other history of the patient.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol

Good for you on being as healthy as you can! I’m not very good, I’ve been vegetarian since I was 15 (36 years)

good for you with the healthy eating & exercise! I really should try to be better than I am. I’ve been a vegetarian for 36 years (since I was 15) & I’ve never enjoyed cooking so you can probably imagine I don’t follow the best diet. I’ve heard that a medeteranian diet is very good for the brain :) I’m a chocolate monster so Easter’s been lovely!
I have to agree with what Pete suggested about pushing for the spect scan for your own sanity! It’s the not knowing that drives us to despair.
It’s very odd atm as I keep thinking I’ve misheard my diagnosis as I was told it over the phone before my doc at the mem clinic went on a weeks leave & we don’t get to actually see her for another 5wks!?

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hi Tricot. I note the position concerning the SPECT scan. I'm given to understand that these PET or SPECT scans are often left to last because they are so expensive and suppose CT/MRI scans are used first to see if they can help with a diagnosis without going further. Given what you have said about the Memory Clinic report I suspect, like you that they may not be too willing to go to the SPECT scan. If I were you I would impress upon them that the scan is likely to be definitive about any brain damage, or the absence thereof, so will help enormously with getting help if you do have dementia or accepting alternative help for depression/anxiety if you don't. Either way it would surely be worth it for the sake of your mental health.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I think you're right about saving the most expensive till last. They would want to make sure they'd tried everything else. The only thing that's come up for me has been these white lesions on the MRI but I did ask at my last visit if they could be responsible for the way I am and the doctor was adamant they weren't significant. At the very beginning I was dead set on the SPECT/PET scan as I was so desperate to know what was going on. Right now I'm not so sure. While there's no diagnosis I can hang on to some hope that there's some reason other than dementia. I know your experience is that it's possible to live well with dementia and I'm very glad that's true for you and your wife but I don't live very well without dementia, life is pretty bleak a lot (but not all) of the time.

Are you still in Cyprus? Sounds like you've had a great winter. Have you ever thought of moving there permanently?

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Good for you on being as healthy as you can! I’m not very good, I’ve been vegetarian since I was 15 (36 years)

good for you with the healthy eating & exercise! I really should try to be better than I am. I’ve been a vegetarian for 36 years (since I was 15) & I’ve never enjoyed cooking so you can probably imagine I don’t follow the best diet. I’ve heard that a medeteranian diet is very good for the brain :) I’m a chocolate monster so Easter’s been lovely!
I have to agree with what Pete suggested about pushing for the spect scan for your own sanity! It’s the not knowing that drives us to despair.
It’s very odd atm as I keep thinking I’ve misheard my diagnosis as I was told it over the phone before my doc at the mem clinic went on a weeks leave & we don’t get to actually see her for another 5wks!?

I would've thought you would be healthier being a vegetarian because you have to substitute more veg for the meat you're not eating? It must make it harder to think what to have for dinner every day, I find it hard enough as it is. My grand-daughter-in-law-to-be is vegan and my grandson is trying very hard. I don't think I could ever manage that but I would like to be vegetarian. I love animals so much.

But as you're vegetarian, are you quite sure your B12 levels are adequate? I think you told me your B12 was OK but have you actually seen the results for yourself? Being at optimum levels can make you feel much better than just being within the acceptable range.

I can understand you thinking you may have misheard your diagnosis. Do you keep replaying it in your mind? I have this thing about when I finally find out what's going on. Is it going to be "Silly me for ever thinking it might be dementia!" or "I knew all along I had dementia". It could be either. It's weird.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thank you for your advice. Yes, I think you're right about saving the most expensive till last. They would want to make sure they'd tried everything else. The only thing that's come up for me has been these white lesions on the MRI but I did ask at my last visit if they could be responsible for the way I am and the doctor was adamant they weren't significant. At the very beginning I was dead set on the SPECT/PET scan as I was so desperate to know what was going on. Right now I'm not so sure. While there's no diagnosis I can hang on to some hope that there's some reason other than dementia. I know your experience is that it's possible to live well with dementia and I'm very glad that's true for you and your wife but I don't live very well without dementia, life is pretty bleak a lot (but not all) of the time.

Are you still in Cyprus? Sounds like you've had a great winter. Have you ever thought of moving there permanently?
Hi Tricot, I think if you get the scan and find the diagnosis is still depression etc then it means you can concentrate on getting that alleviated for you and improve your life. If it is dementia you can concentrate on that, hopefully keep it in check and start to live better. In my book you win no matter what!:)
Yes, we are still in Cyprus, however, it’s back to Ireland next week:(. We have often thought of staying here permanently but we couldn’t take the summer heat - we’re Irish, we don’t do heat;). In any case, the support systems for Alzheimer’s are non existent here so my wife’s diagnosis stopped the wondering about it. I keep thinking every winter will be the last because of my wife but she is doing well enough for us to have booked next winter already:D. However, she has just come into the room to ask me what day it is and refuses to believe it’s Tuesday:rolleyes:. She keeps on asking me if I’m sure - I almost feel like saying ‘you’re the one with Alzheimer’s, not me’.:confused: