Forgetting words & getting muddled

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Most certainly in the post menopause as haven't had a monthly in a bit over a year. I know the menopause is linked to foggy thinking. Plus i think we all get that moment when we go downstairs and forget what it was for? I sometimes start something upstairs go downstairs and get one with something else, then come upstairs to suddenly remember what i had been doing!
I read somewhere that we can only hold some much stuff in our brains and any one time. I think it was eight things. For instance, pick up the dog at kennel, collect prescription, buy plasters etc. Apparently, if you add more most people will forget one. Perhaps, slip ups are just very busy and stressful lives? I hope struggling to find the right word sometimes is not the first signs of something ominous. Occasionally, I've come out with a sounds like word. (I did in my twenties have plenty of blows to the head due to DV)
I'm keeping an eye on my problem and I hope that nothing serious evolves.
You are right Daffy we can only hold so much info in our brains at any one time :)
I’m so sorry to hear you suffered DV with blows to your head & I hope it has no lasting physical effects on your memory.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
this might help with anchoring things in mind... good luck...

What is spaced retrieval therapy?

an intervention that has been used for a variety of memory deficits, including
  • semantic memory (i.e., remembering facts such as names of people and objects, current year, city and facility of residence, room number);
  • procedural memory (i.e., remembering to perform some action, such as how to get out of a chair, swallowing techniques);
  • prospective memory (i.e., remembering future appointments, activities or tasks, such as looking at a calendar, taking medication); and
  • recent episodic memory (i.e., remembering recent personal events such as one’s birthday, a dinner party).”
(1) several functional targets (such as the examples above) are selected.
(2) then one target is focused on at a time until maintenance level is achieved.
(3) ask a question to elicit the target. If answered correctly, increase the time interval and ask the question again. If answered incorrectly, provide immediate correction and ask question again at last correct time interval.

Some information is easier to train than other information. Previously known information (e.g. family members’ names) are trained faster than new information (e.g. nurse’s name).

Tactus Therapy SRT app
  • Spaced Retrieval Therapy uses a scientifically proven method to help people with dementia or other memory impairments actively train to recall important information.
  • Recalling an answer over multiplying intervals of time, such as 1 minute, 2 minutes, 8 minutes, and so on, helps to cement the information in memory.
  • Spaced Retrieval Therapy is an enhanced interval timer with independent data tracking and prompts. It automatically increases the time between prompts with correct responses and decreases it with incorrect ones.
  • Work on up to three targets at once
  • Keeps track of expanding intervals
  • Works in the background while doing other therapy exercises
  • Prompts on screen and with sound when it’s time to ask again
  • Tracks performance accuracy and interval data automatically
  • Available on Apple App Store and Android Google Play Store
Hi DF the app sounds useful for anyone who is really struggling.
I’m using a few brain train apps atm which are fun & helpful ;)

Daffy123

Feb 1, 2018
You are right Daffy we can only hold so much info in our brains at any one time :)
I’m so sorry to hear you suffered DV with blows to your head & I hope it has no lasting physical effects on your memory.
Thank you. Older and thankfully wiser now. :)

BleuDay

Nov 10, 2016
Just thought of another thing you may find useful @PJ.
A Language Therapist told my wife about a system called circumlocution and she took to it like a fish to water. The system is that if you can't get a word, you describe around it. So, for example, if my wife is looking for her purse, and can't find the word 'purse', she will say have you seen that black thing that I put money in. Then I am able to say 'oh you're looking for your purse', and tell her where it is. Prior to this, my wife would have said something like 'have you seen that thingymebob that I keep in my whatyoumecallit, and I would have been saying 'sorry I don't know what you're talking about'. The system has worked quite well for us. It's a bit like using a crossword clue rather than the actual word, so is useful when talking to a spouse, or someone of that nature.
Hi Pete have you any details on where you get info on this system thanks

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi Pete have you any details on where you get info on this system thanks
We were told about the system by a language therapist when she was visiting my wife. She didn’t tell us any more than I mentioned but that was enough for my wife to get up and running. However, like all dementia related issues, things start to work less well as the condition increases.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
I have to do this a lot as I live in France and am not fluent so have to find a way of expressing myself with limited vocabulary, but I didn't know it had a name! I find I'm doing it more in English as well when the word I want just won't come. There's a youtube video you can look at, BleuDay:

https://www.teflexpress.co.uk/blog/using-circumlocution/

It's aimed at learners of English as a foreign language but has some good examples.

Costa fortune

Mar 10, 2018
This past week I’ve noticed a sudden change which is beginning to get embarrassing.
When I’m talking to someone husband, sons, friends etc I keep either forgetting the word or worse still using the wrong one or a completely made up word!?
Also, my writing has changed I mess up so many cards?
Does anyone else with short term memory problems have these issues too?
Thank you all for your time it’s much appreciated :)
I'm doing silly things to. I get up and can't remember why. Or I forget a lot of names

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
I seem better again atm it’s odd how some days are so much better than others. Do you find this too?
I just find the better days are those when I feel more positive so my bad memory etc doesn't get me down so much. But I don't think my forgetfulness changes much from one day to the next, just my attitude to it. @PJ Haven't seen any posts from you lately, how are you?

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
I just find the better days are those when I feel more positive so my bad memory etc doesn't get me down so much. But I don't think my forgetfulness changes much from one day to the next, just my attitude to it. @PJ Haven't seen any posts from you lately, how are you?
Hi Tricot I’ve had a bad week with lots of dreams at night the only good thing about it is I’m sleeping through rather than waking for an hour at 3am :) I don’t really know why, other than I did feel quite scared for the first time this week, about my scan results. The lady I see at the mem clinic phoned me to check in & said if the results weren’t to her by the end of next wk she will chase them.
I’m like you as in my attitude each day impacts how I cope & get through that day. It’s so unpredictable & I feel so confused much of the time.
In saying all this doom & gloom today has been a really good day :)
I hope you are ok & thanks for asking after me. I wanted to post on here last week when I felt desperate but it’s hard to know what to say when you just want to shout help!!

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hi Tricot I’ve had a bad week with lots of dreams at night the only good thing about it is I’m sleeping through rather than waking for an hour at 3am :) I don’t really know why, other than I did feel quite scared for the first time this week, about my scan results. The lady I see at the mem clinic phoned me to check in & said if the results weren’t to her by the end of next wk she will chase them.
I’m like you as in my attitude each day impacts how I cope & get through that day. It’s so unpredictable & I feel so confused much of the time.
In saying all this doom & gloom today has been a really good day :)
I hope you are ok & thanks for asking after me. I wanted to post on here last week when I felt desperate but it’s hard to know what to say when you just want to shout help!!
Glad you had a good day yesterday. Shout 'Help!' when you need to. Better than sitting and stewing. It must be scary waiting for the scan results, wondering how you'll feel when you finally have an explanation. I've had some very bad days, just wish I could find a successful treatment for the depression. My new treatment is no help.

Smiling a lot is always good. Hope you sleep better.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Yes smiling is good. Do you mind me asking what you use for your depression? I’ve used various meds in the past but for the last 10yrs I’ve used citalopram 40mg & propranolol 160mg every day. They generally seem to work for me.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi @PJ, I see your scan result may be imminent. One very important point to remember about the receipt of the results is that when the actual result is given you may not ‘hear’ anything that is said after that. Either have someone with you(the best idea), or ask for the actual result after they have said anything else the news giver wants to say.
The next thing to remember is that, whatever the result, life will go on and will be as good as you and yours make it.
Good luck, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi @karaokePete :) Hope you & your wife are well & have had a good weekend. Have you had snow where you are? We had quite a bit but it’s clearing now.
I’m feeling positive again today & just know whatever the results the sooner we hear it the sooner we can get on & deal with whatever.
You have a good point about having someone with me, my hubby will take the day off to come along. Yes, life will continue to be as good as we make it. Have a good Mon.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Yes smiling is good. Do you mind me asking what you use for your depression? I’ve used various meds in the past but for the last 10yrs I’ve used citalopram 40mg & propranolol 160mg every day. They generally seem to work for me.

I was prescribed Brintellix about 3 months ago after the memory clinic doctor wrote his report saying that he thought the memory problems were due to depression. Brintellix is supposed to improve cognitive function as well as lift depression. It didn't help me and in fact I've had some of the worst days ever. I'm going to stop taking it as soon as I hear from the doctor the best way to do it. She's already tried increasing the dosage. Before that I've tried most of the SSRI anti-depressants including Citalopram. I seem to be treatment resistant. I used to be unwilling to take medication but now I would take anything if it would help.

Just wondered if by any chance you take thyroid medication? I'm reading that if treatment is inadequate, memory and other neuro problems can result. It's probably only applicable to a tiny percentage of people but you never know.

Have you got snow over there? It's just started snowing here buy my daughter in law in the Midlands said it was 6" deep there yesterday. So much for springtime! Hope you have a good day and maybe some good news. kPete is quite right "The next thing to remember is that, whatever the result, life will go on and will be as good as you and yours make it."

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi @karaokePete :) Hope you & your wife are well & have had a good weekend. Have you had snow where you are? We had quite a bit but it’s clearing now.
I’m feeling positive again today & just know whatever the results the sooner we hear it the sooner we can get on & deal with whatever.
You have a good point about having someone with me, my hubby will take the day off to come along. Yes, life will continue to be as good as we make it. Have a good Mon.
We are still in Cyprus for a few weeks yet. I once read that the part of Cyprus where we winter has never seen snowfall. In the 3 winters we have been here we haven't even seen frost. This last winter has been as good as the summers we get in N Ireland! I brought a jumper to wear at night and it has remained on it's hanger since we arrived.
I am well, thanks, and my wife is good overall, although she has bad spells where the confusion etc., overwhelms her somewhat. I just keep up the caring and talking therapy and we muddle along very well really.
Enjoy your day too. :)

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Re: Thyroid
I've just realised that's why TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) was one of the blood tests the memory clinic did. I wondered why they tested for that. Mine was 'within range' but I now know that 'within range' doesn't mean optimal. Also, I took my thyroid meds the morning of the test but that gives an artificially high TSH reading. Maybe I'm onto something here....!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I was prescribed Brintellix about 3 months ago after the memory clinic doctor wrote his report saying that he thought the memory problems were due to depression. Brintellix is supposed to improve cognitive function as well as lift depression. It didn't help me and in fact I've had some of the worst days ever. I'm going to stop taking it as soon as I hear from the doctor the best way to do it. She's already tried increasing the dosage. Before that I've tried most of the SSRI anti-depressants including Citalopram. I seem to be treatment resistant. I used to be unwilling to take medication but now I would take anything if it would help.

Just wondered if by any chance you take thyroid medication? I'm reading that if treatment is inadequate, memory and other neuro problems can result. It's probably only applicable to a tiny percentage of people but you never know.

Have you got snow over there? It's just started snowing here buy my daughter in law in the Midlands said it was 6" deep there yesterday. So much for springtime! Hope you have a good day and maybe some good news. kPete is quite right "The next thing to remember is that, whatever the result, life will go on and will be as good as you and yours make it."
Hi @Tricot, I hope you keep as well as can be.
I may have mentioned already that my wife was a chronic depressive from way before she met me. I have always tried to use talking as a therapy with my wife. I found that she, probably like many others, always looked for a cure from a box of pills and I just don't believe that a cure can be found that way. I think pills are a useful crutch that can support you while the cure is sought within yourself as it's a different thought process that is required to get a result. I always encourage my wife to speak about her fears and anxieties so that I can rationalize them for her and show her a different way of looking at them. Never be afraid to open up to a partner or good friend as openness encourages a meaningful relationship and enables the learning from others. Of course, there's always TP too!
Good luck with your quest for wellbeing.:)