Forgetting names of everyday objects

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Tiffaniecazz, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Tiffaniecazz

Tiffaniecazz New member

Aug 23, 2019
    #1 Tiffaniecazz, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Hi, my dad died 6 years ago and had moderate dementia. I was menopausal at the time and worried about my memory, so I visited my gp, who did tests and told me not to worry. However, over the last few weeks I find myself forgetting the names of simple everyday objects and find myself describing what they do rather than what they are called for example, this week, I called the lawnmower; the pushy grass cutty thing, and just told my husband I needed some of that paint scratchy off stuff when I wanted sandpaper. I have to admit it's freaking me out a bit.
    Is it worth seeing the doctor again, as I think I'll get fobbed off again. Has anyone else had these symptoms, or is it just a getting older thing, I'm 55

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to DTP @Tiffaniecazz
    Menopause can cause memory issues but I think you should see your GP to get checked over.

3. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    Hello and welcome @Tiffaniecazz
    I agree with @Cat27 its probably a good idea to see your GP..
    On the positive side, though, I think many of us have this sort of problem as we get older (I’m 69), and it doesn’t necessarily indicate anything like dementia.
    So, fingers crossed you’re okay, but do get checked out :)
    Lindy xx

4. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I've done the same thing. I once called solar panels sun catchers because I couldn't think of the proper name.

It can be a little worrisome when I do so but since my husband who is younger than me has the same problem occasionally, I try not to worry.

5. TNJJ

TNJJ Registered User

May 7, 2019
    I’m 55 and went through the menopause a while back..I tend to forget the names of things sometimes.It usually happens when my brain is fast but my mouth is slow.So I either point or have to wait for them all to catch up.Sometimes it can be caused by stress..You are not alone in this.Take care.