Forever home for Mum

PaulandTerry

Jan 12, 2015
Brighton, East Sussex

We are new to this site so bear with us until we find our feet. We are based in Brighon, East Sussex and it is time to find my Mum a forever home. I didn't realise just how detailed and intricate a job it is to get the right place. We (my partner and I) aren't sure, should we get funding into place before looking for a home? I think that's the first question, the other 1001 will follow but you're help advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
Hi you too :)

Yes, I think it's sensible to start with the money. If mum's not self funding then you'll have to involve her local authority once the need for care arises. They have a duty to assess her needs and place her somewhere that meets them (or to provide some support if she remains in her own home, or in yours).

If she is self funding then you'll have a great deal more choice of course.

lastingmemories

Feb 10, 2015
Ipswich Suffolk
Paul&Terry.........

We are new to this site so bear with us until we find our feet. We are based in Brighon, East Sussex and it is time to find my Mum a forever home. I didn't realise just how detailed and intricate a job it is to get the right place. We (my partner and I) aren't sure, should we get funding into place before looking for a home? I think that's the first question, the other 1001 will follow but you're help advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

If I were to delve into a home regarding mum, I would seek out all avenues. Social Services, Local Authority, The Doctor and local Alzheimer's group in case someone has similar situation.
I do agree that funding should be set aside just in case, but visit the homes don't just accept what you read about the homes.
I hope I never have to do what you are doing, I vowed I would care for mum at home until I drop!
Good luck to you both, you seem very caring and thoughtful.
Best wishes T.