Forced to go to a different care home

C1rol123

Sep 20, 2019
Hi. If you can provide any guidance on my current situation I would really appreciate it. My uncle has been living in a care home for 2 years with a DOLS. He has dementia and a slowly been declining. He is currently in hospital for the third time in quick succession. On his previous admission in January 2021 he was in for 23 days with sepsis and a UTI. I only found out a week before he was discharged he had a bed sore. The care home said he had no bed sore prior to entering hospital but the hospital are blaming the care home. He is now back in hospital and his case is being investigated by the local authority under safeguarding 42. They want to discharge him to a different care home but will not discuss this with me (DOLS representative) or my mum (nok). My concern is we want to be involved in choosing where he goes and also concerned he will have to pay for both care homes at the same time! The hospital have been very difficult to engage and I feel this may be due to the formal complaint I put in around his care. My uncle is self funding as as such they are just trying to push him out. Do we have a say in his care? Or can they do this?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @C1rol123

That's quite a complex situation and, whilst others may be along to give the wisdom of their personal experience, may I suggest that it might help to talk to the experts on the helpline when it opens. Details may be obtained by clicking the following link