For those who want to know About Me.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Thanks for the link JPG- OK Maggie it looks like they did get their act (ho ho) together and extend the protection. Sorry about that. A baby step but a good one.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
A baby step but a good one.

yes your right there .

So the local authority got they legal act of human rights behind them.

But not the privet sector, those people who our totally self funded.

So how stands behind them?

to make another move forward for change ?

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
TINA My way to vent my outrage at any injustice or bad practice I see is to get myself elected onto as many local involvement forums as I can, where my voice can have effect.

Tina
I also follow your method of using energy by doing and not talking.
This does far more good than ranting about care homes and services.
Tina I have just been elected onto the board of my local LINKs organisation which has statutory powers to investigate health and social care issues and demand answers. This body also has the power to enter premises. I would recommend EVERYONE to join as amember of their local LINKs. Their voice will be heard and acted on!
[/QUOTE]

Tina I too am involved in many forums,it gave me great pleasre to see that you are involved with LINKs.
I am chair of the older persons group and a board member of my local LINKs.
What a difference it would make if many carers,dementia patients and others joined LINKs.
I honestly believe this is a organisation that is going to make a difference to Health and social care
Norman

LINKs address again http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorganisation/PatientAndPublicinvolvement/DH_076366

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Actually the link that JPG left links to a fascinating set of "care home" related legal briefings. There may not be relevant to consumers of services, but they do offer an insight into the "other side" which I think can be important.

It would seem the primary advantage of extending the human right legislation in this way would be in relation to evidence - less evidence would be needed to bring a HR action than would be required for a criminal action.

I think most people don't realize that HR legislation applies primarily (solely?) to public and/or government bodies not private entities. It would require a massive change (I think) to modify that. I

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I think most people don't realize that HR legislation applies primarily (solely?) to public and/or government bodies not private entities. It would require a massive change (I think) to modify that.

It would require a massive change (I think) to modify that.

Oh yes it would , your right there , also take lot of also money to do it.

I think most people don't realize that HR legislation applies primarily (solely?) to public and/or government bodies not private entities.

Also I don't feel people don't know that cases can be taken to the court of human rights in the first place, when it come to abuse in the elderly .

As I have never read a case of someone going to the courts of human rights about abuse in the elderly in care homes .

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Since mum died of Alzheimer’s 11 months ago I rarely post on TP, I only reply to a post if I feel I can be of some help/comfort to another carer going through the journey that mum and I went on together with this dreadful disease. Mostly I find it just too tough to read most posts, too close to home, and still all very raw for me.

With regard TP, at a time when I felt completely lost I had so much help, support and advice from TP members. At times it saved my sanity, and over the years I have made some very close friends who have been there for me through the good and the bad times, and for this I will be eternally grateful.

When I could no longer care for mum at home I had to make the most heart breaking decision to find a suitable NH with EMI facility. After looking at a number of homes we settled on a [care home provider edited] NH. I can only speak as I found. My mother received the most wonderful care, she was treated with compassion and respect at all times.

I would on a very regular basis drop in at all different hours of the day or night and was always greeted with a hug and a cuppa from staff members. I will never ever forget the tender loving care both mum and I received during the last week of mum’s life; I am just not able to put into words adequately how kind the staff were to us both. Having read the article, I felt the need to in a way defend [care home provider edited]. I agree there are good and bad NH (I saw plenty of bad when doing my own research for mum), but I can only speak as I found.

Incidentally, on mum’s floor there were 14 residents, only two were self funding, mum being one of them, the high level of care was just the same for all.

Moderator note:

sorry Cate, good or bad, the naming of care homes and providers isn't permitted by AS, even when reports are good.
For ref, please see http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=about_talking_point#faq_sharing_experiences

Last edited by a moderator:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Incidentally, on mum’s floor there were 14 residents, only two were self funding, mum being one of them, the high level of care was just the same for all.

That is good to read.

Just go to show that 2 cases are never the same .

Thanks for sharing Cate.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Moderator Note: Look, I understand the desire to share information about care homes, and since we've heard good and bad about this specific supplier I think it's reasonably well balanced, but no more, OK? Our T & Cs are quite clear, and strictly speaking we've gone a bit far down this slippery slope, but I'd like to leave the discussion if at all possible, and not have to start deleting things. Thanks in advance.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Absolutely - discussion about nursing homes: no problem; naming nursing homes i.e. "specific supplier" above (and by extension their owners) a lot of problems. Such naming contravenes our T & Cs (see following extract).

Agreement that reference to such products or services by a user is permitted provided that named reference is not made to any care or nursing home or hospital or firm providing legal and financial advice on a financial basis, or to members of staff of organisations providing those products or services.

Edited to add: and for a rather more wordy discussion about what is or is not allowed

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=about_talking_point#faq_when_to_report

Last edited:

Bob S

Mar 24, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
Thanks for the explanation Jennifer. I am puzzled as to why TP does not allow organisations to be named. I can appreciate the possibility of libellous remarks, but if a member is in a position to back up any comments made (to the good or bad of the organisation) then surely it can be of help to other members? By not allowing the naming, wouldn't it deprive members of what could be valuable information?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
What Joanne said. Also, and I think this can be quite important, while Nursing Home A might be wonderful today, management change could mean it went down the tubes tomorrow, and of course vice versa. I think there is a place (or there should be) for Which style reports on care homes, but a website that is run by the Alzheimer's Society is not that place.

Last edited:

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
I have a simple answer as to why I was not aware of this myself and many other things also, and that is I would never even consider at any time that Mum would ever go into a nursing home, like I have said before I am adopted and Mum took me out of a childrens home and I for one was certainly not going to end up putting her into a home, however none of us either expected Mum to become so poorly either to the extreme that her AZ beat us. There we were in hospital one minute and the next being given 24 hours to find her a home :eek: I had no time for research and little time to go looking and spending proper time finding the right home for Mum, we were lucky I guess on finding one that was good for Mum. I felt at the time powerless and was not aware of my rights including Mums, the hospital was a nightmare and at the time felt that anywhere was a better place than that.

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Surely also if the money coming on from SS is good enough to give a resident human rights law then why on earth not the residents money themselves, it shouldn't make a difference as to where the money is coming from to pay for this .... human rights is human rights isn't it??? Obviously not :mad:.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Jennifer

I would not have responded to this particular thread if I had not read here the name of mum's care home provider, I thought there had been a rule change.

What I am confused about is when I named the provider it has been removed, and when someone else has, it hasnt been removed, and in fact is still published this morning. :confused: I understand the rule perfectly, but shouldnt it apply to everyone.
Best wishes

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Cate

just to clarify, with the amount of people using this forum and the number of threads, it is not possible to find every occurrence of these things.

I edited your post this morning but as this thread has meandered so, didn't back track. I've now edited the other posts.

When we come upon them, or when someone points something out, as you have helpfully done, then moderators can edit the occurrences.

I should point out that this non-publication of names, besides for the reasons that will be obvious, is something that AS, as owner of the forum, put in the Ts and Cs way back.

At first I disagreed and wanted to have guidance on homes using their names here, but on exploring the reasons that AS [Nada at the time] gave, I totally agree now.

At least it is a nice clean rule. :)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Just to clarify or confuse more - as a moderator I thought we might be able to leave this thread as it was - the references are well and truly bound up in the text. However, it has been decided one rule for everyone, which is fair. Cate - can I apologise for my contribution to the confusion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayeLay