For those of you who have a loved one in in major NH provider...A warning!

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I obviously will not name them on here but if anyone wants to know I will reply on PM.

My Mom, with VasD, and a few other ailments has been in a NH since last summer. She has settled well and the care is fine but not great. There is not one member of staff with Dementia training but I knew that when she moved in but did not realise at the time how important it actually is. Promised staff training has not happened.

In January at a residents meeting it was announced that the home is to stop providing Nursing care and is going purely Residential.:(

Various managers of the company were there and amongst the statements made were.....

We are making announcement today but we don't put a timescale on it. We don't say it has to be done by X,Y,Z date. we work with you individually.

We wont be serving you with notice periods or whatever to say you will be out by X,Y,Z date.

There isn't an end date.................................
Yes clearly 6 months down the line the solution will have been found........
We are not saying in anyway shape or form that tomorrow, next week, the week after that people will have to move out. That isn't the way we want to do it..................

So the difficult search began again but a tad of relief in a timescale cushion.

Shiny new brochures of 2 nearby homes, with vacancies, owned by the same company were produced but a quick google and an upcoming court case for one made me decide that it was probably best to leave well alone.

But now all the platitudes have disappeared and with not even a phone call or face to face meeting (I am there almost every day) a letter arrived saying got to be out by the second week in March.:mad:

I have to admit to being rather forthright in my calls to the managers yesterday but one squeeked out that this may not be the only home affected so for those seeking placements now or in the near future then be warned.

I have found a new build that would be suitable but it will not be ready for 6 weeks but the new timeframe does not now fit and the prospect of one move is catastrophic enough let alone two.:(

Rant over (no guarantees) but the anger will be around for a quite a while yet.:mad:

Last edited:

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
How do I send PM?I've been invited to meeting at my Dad's nh tomorrow,wonder if its the same group?

carastro

May 7, 2012
This is appalling, there should be a transition period, where those who need NH care can continue at the home until a suitable place can be found.

I hope you manage to find a suitable home for your Mum this time with dementia training. Have you spoken to the social services about this?

....and what are they going to do if you haven't found a home for her in time?

Carastro

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
How do I send PM?I've been invited to meeting at my Dad's nh tomorrow,wonder if its the same group?
I have replied to your message but that was before reading the above so apologies if that has confused you more.

I will send another.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
This is appalling, there should be a transition period, where those who need NH care can continue at the home until a suitable place can be found.

I hope you manage to find a suitable home for your Mum this time with dementia training. Have you spoken to the social services about this?

....and what are they going to do if you haven't found a home for her in time?

Carastro
I wholeheartedly agree with your first paragraph.:)

I have spoken to SS and since the decision was made Mom has been allocated a new SW who did not attend the meeting but says she is not happy with the latest development and has passed it on to a supervisor but as yet I have heard no more.

A representative of the LA was at the meeting and assured us all help would be given. She also said...." It will not be a rushed process. It will not be a set date you have to leave....."
I have spoken with her and she was already aware of the new date and does not believe the process has been rushed!:eek::mad:

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Meeting today,asked manager if there were any plans to withdraw nursing beds,apparently not.Why am I not more reassured?