Footwear problems

CHEZA27

Jan 8, 2015
Hello lovely people, bit of a random question but I'm struggling with footwear for my mother. She has diabetes and it's not controlled better well, this affects her feet and she hs a lot if swelling, sores, bungeons etccc.. The home she is in keep saying that we need to get her to wear lace up shoes/ trainers but this is near on impossible. I can just about manage to get her to wear ballet pumps and this is only because they stretch enough to fit her feet in. The home are also telling me that the ballet pumps are causing the problems. Yet I bought mum some very expensive wide hitting comfort slippers which she does wear. I really don't know what to do as it constantly feels like a battle to get shoes/slippers on mum and when I do the home are telling me that she should be wearing something different.

Needing advice??
Thanks cheryl x

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Mum also had a lot of problems with persistent corns etc.

Does your mum have visits from a chiropodist? If not, I would try to get one to visit her as my mum's was very helpful in advising what sort of footwear would be most suitable as well as keeping the corns etc under control so walking was less painful. The best shoes we found were the Hotter brand as they have various width fittings and secure fastenings.

Mum's was an NHS chiropodist so the service did not cost anything.

Last edited:

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Cheryl - my dad buys shoes very similar to this for my mam who simply refused to wear her normal shoes. I'm not sure if this is the actual supplier he uses, because the first pair he bought from one of those magazine supplements, but they're virtually identical.

They're very stretchy and mam now has no problems. Bizarrely, considering she can't work out how to get her feet into them, she can still tie the laces herself!

http://www.footfriendly.co.uk/en/fo...twear/womens-casual/peggy-elastane-shoes.aspx

Edit - I've just had a good look at these and am sure that they are the same ones dad buys. In our experience they really do what it says on the tin! And for a very reasonable price. Mam has a pair in each colour.

Last edited:

CHEZA27

Jan 8, 2015
Thank you for all your advice. Ive ordered some slippers from the cosyfeet website as they sounded like they could be good for mum. She is seeing a podiatrist and the pracctice nurse but its taken ages for them to put that in place. It takes at least 6 weeks for the referral anyway....a constant battle to get anything from the home.

Lets see what these shoes bring.

Thanks again

cheryl

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
I have used cosyfeet, dont forget to get the vat taken off if mum is diabetic, I bought slippers with velcro fastenings for hubby as he has a sort toe, ordinary slippers were too tight, ad he would get lots of problems, until I got these slippers, hope they work for Mum, they are expensive but worth it ( just my opinion) good luck

sheila55

Feb 6, 2014
Mum also has a lot of problems with her feet. She is now unable to wear normal shoes. She got some boot type footwear with Velcro fastenings. They were on prescription and her care home arranged it for her. Don't know if this is relevant to your Mum.

CHEZA27

Jan 8, 2015
I did get the VAT taken off which I thought was a bonus. I think the feet are swollen because she just walks all the time and doesn't rest,the uncontrolled diabetes doesn't help either. Hopefully they'll be a good thing for her.

Thanks for the advice x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024