Football against Dementia

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatieWTrans

Dec 8, 2017
Hertfordshire
Hi I'm Katie and I am transgender , (not full time ) .

I don't have dementia but I want to help people who do , I am a huge football fan and I recently came across a Scottish website which was called football memories and encouraged people to share their football stories and unlock memories about their past and In turn hopefully unlock other things around that time , one women commented in that it was like having her husband back for a few hours .

My project is to publish quiz, trivia football books aimed at people with dementia and hopefully they will remember dates , matches , players etc etc which have been locked and in turn this will trigger of other memories .

I hope that these books can be used by family , friends and carers .
I aim to keep them simple and eventually I hope that clubs will have individual booklets or leaflets geared towards their club and its history .
I am emailing all 92 football clubs and non league clubs with my proposal and I have had some interest already .
Thanks Katie

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband went to a Football Memories group for a good few years. He had dementia for over 15 years and he was quite advanced but he time these groups started. He couldn't participate as much as some others but he did enjoy looking at the photos and the company. I think the Football Memories Project is amazing.

http://www.footballmemories.org.uk

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
There are a number schemes running already. You could also try contacting the National Football Museum as I know they are doing something. You might want to find out whether books are the best tool to use. Some people use flash cards, photographs and artefact to spark memories ...as well as oral material. I would be quite keen on material that uses a local accent as these seem to be dying out and I have noticed father always goes a bit dreamy whenever anyone speaks in the accent from his home town.

KatieWTrans

Dec 8, 2017
Hertfordshire
Thanks mancmum , there's some super ideas there, I will definety get in touch with the national football museum and see what they have to say , I have already had some feedback - Newcastle United told me to keep informed and Burnley were quite keen as well .

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Our two local football teams were very good at supporting the sessions. Often there was a former goalie or someone from a team from a few years back. Mind you my husband was never impressed as he was a Rangers supporter and the players were always Dundee or Dundee United!:D:D

They also used to do displays of old football strips as well as photos etc. Bill liked to look at these.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Bill also took part in walking football sessions. Not really football memories but still a way to allow people take part. He could still control the ball and kick it to others!

KatieWTrans

Dec 8, 2017
Hertfordshire
That's a great idea , im in the middle of doing a book with lots of dates in - I'm hoping that it will trigger other memories sometimes it's the older memories that we remember first I think

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
This is complete self indulgence! I've just spent a while looking through the photos on my computer looking for any football memories ones. I've come up with one. My husband is in the middle. The chap on the left is Hamish the Goalie! I believe that's Hamish McAlpine formerly of Dundee United. The chap on the far right is from Dundee FC but I can't remember his name!

IMG_1338.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg

There is also one of Bill at walking football and one of him about to kick the ball! He had a carer or me with him al the time so that he didn't fall over!

Right that's it. Self indulgence over. I'll stop hijacking your thread!!

KatieWTrans

Dec 8, 2017
Hertfordshire
Oh please carry on I'm loving this , I remember Hamish McAlpine from my panini football sticker books in the 1980's .
Loving the photos , I've just added an avatar of me as Katie , hope you like it .
It's given me an idea to contact clubs and see if they have retired players who would like to get involved with the project I'm sure that they would love the chance .

KatieWTrans

Dec 8, 2017
Hertfordshire
I'm actually thinking of little packs would be better perhaps old style photos on playing cards of past players , with a DVD made up past clips of players and maybe a small booklet or something .

Or even simpler a pack of playing cards with a different footballers name on each form the past to see what memory it unlocked when they turned it over this could be played in a group .
It could say for instance Stanley Matthews and the teams that he played for and any signifacent things from his history .

FKH

Feb 16, 2018
Hi Katie,

Recently the memory service in Bristol was visited by a London-based organisation who make films for people with dementia (they are free of charge but excellent quality). They work with the individual to make a film about their life and include photos and music at a pace suitable for someone with dementia. In a similar way to the project you're suggesting, they have therapeutic value, and I wonder whether you might like to get in touch with them and tell them about your idea? Maybe some people would like to have a sporting memories film? My uncle has been a lifelong Everton supporter and I know if he were to get dementia that would be really meaningful for him. I can point you to the organisation if you'd like to know more?

Paty

Mar 31, 2019
The trivia football quiz is a good idea, but related with football there's been a research where
among retired footballers which has concluded that this condition could be related to repeated impacts to the head caused by collisions and thousands of headings.

Just to let you know and add more information

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Paty
welcome to TP
this is just to let you know that you are posting on an old thread

each post has a date at top left - it's worth checking

for example some of the poster on this thread have not returned to TP since they posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1