Food

President1

Sep 24, 2018
Hi everyone, my wife is in the process of dementia diagnosis. Is it common for the patient not to like food any more. My wife says it all tastes salty and she can not fancy anything, this makes it difficult planning meals and shopping. I do not know weather it is because of the taste or if she can not remember the words any more?
Any sugestons?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I think tastes change. Often to a liking for sweet stuff. My husband who used to like a beer never touches alcohol now. So it can be a good thing.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @President1

Does your wife still like to eat sweet food or has she gone off all food?

Appetites and eating habits are known to change with dementia but I don`t think so early in the illness. Needless to say, because everyone is different, there is a possibility if all other possible causes such as s change in medication, a mouth infection , gum disease or even a general infection have been checked.

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
Oral thrush might also be a possibility. When my friend had it after a long course of antibiotics she was complaining of everything tasting salty even whet it was very sweet stuff, so that might be worth checking

President1

Sep 24, 2018
Hello @President1

Appetites and eating habits are known to change with dementia but I don`t think so early in the illness. Needless to say, because everyone is different, there is a possibility if all other possible causes such as s change in medication, a mouth infection , gum disease or even a general infection have been checked.

President1

Sep 24, 2018
Yes generally likes sweet foods although quickly goes off anything. Has been saying is there a pudding but now get well I am a diabetic and trying to be good.

President1

Sep 24, 2018
Finger food/sandwiches might be an advantage, no cutlery required and can be grazed on
Thinking about this one, but bread is a problem all brands taste salty.
Its the thinking you have found a solution then the goal posts move again that is frustrating.

President1

Sep 24, 2018
Hello @President1

She has had 2 lots of antibiotics for chest infections but the salt thing has been going on for some time previous.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968