food storing

KatieM

May 15, 2008
Essex
Has anyone else come across this - Dad chews but then stores the food in his mouth like a hamster and refuses to swallow. We tell him to swallow - he says he has but then if you ask him to show you the food is still there. He's lost nearly a stone and is currently in hospital on iv fluids.

A few people have told me they have relatives that did this at some point during their dementia/Parkinsons/MS and came through it. The carers at Dad's home think it could be for comfort. I wonder if somewhere the sequence of chew- swallow has been interupted and his brain is forgetting to make him swallow. The doctor is putting him on steroids and anti-depressants to increase his appetite, but if it is the dementia that's causing the problem will that actually help?

He will also store liquids if he has solid food in his mouth. For example if he has a biscuit with his tea he'll store both, but if his mouth is empty before taking the tea he swallows.

The psychiatrist suggested purees but the carers were reluctant because Dad can still chew. I wonder if the chewing action isn't adiquate to mash the food up for him to swallow - and surely puree is safer to prevent choking?

Any ideas?

Katie x

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Katie,

It may be swallowing, not chewing, which is an issue if your dad can manage liquids. I think in your other thread you mentioned a nutritionalist would be coming to see your dad (well done on sorting out the doctor btw!).

I'd also suggest getting in a Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) as they can determine if there is a problem swallowing.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Katie, Lionel wanted to swallow but was choking all the time, even pureed food.

The SALT team came to see him in the home, and by listening with a stethescope to each side of his throat whilst trying to swallow, ascertained that the muscles at the back of his throat were not working at all well.

This can happen with the progression of the illness.

Not saying that this is what is happenning in your dad's case but they may well be able to throw some light on the problem.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It happens sufficiently frequently that it has a name - pouching. You really need a referral to SALT.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
His food is still finely pureed down, and it takes longer and longer to feed him, but we all persevere.

He wants his food, and enjoys tastes, just some days are so much harder than others. Liquids are better thickened too, although as long as he has plenty of custard etc (milk thickened with cornflower and thickened gravies to help puree food) he still takes his juice au nateral from a spoon.

Straws and feeder cups deliver to the back of the throat causing more problems.

n983825

Feb 12, 2010
plymouth, uk
my mum does the same thing, often an hour or so after having something to eat I can still see lumps of food swimming around in her mouth. Her hospital consultant has advised me that dementia interferes with the coordination of all the muscles needed to swallow and also the ability to remember that's what the food is in their mouth for! This problem comes and goes with mum and seems to bother me more than her! I have found feeding her little and often works quite well. Best wishes to you.

KatieM

May 15, 2008
Essex
Thank you. In the hospital they're giving Dad feeding beakers cos he spills a lot of tea, but I'll be asking them not to from now on - didn't actually consider they'd send the liquid to the back of the throat.

K x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet