Food problem

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
Time?

Gosh Alex, don`t you sleep? Hope you didn`t have a bad night?

I noticed a couple of days ago that dad seems to be having difficulties using his fork, i`m thinking about giving him a spoon to use instead.

Since dads diagnosis in April, he seems to be going downhill pretty quickly.......I`m not sure whether this is because i`m now aware of what is wrong with dad or whether it`s the way things happen. I only know that the way he`s going on at the moment i think i`ll be having to feed dad soon?

Hope your sleeping ok tonight?

Best wishes

Jan.

alex

Apr 10, 2006

jan. said:
Gosh Alex, don`t you sleep? Hope you didn`t have a bad night?

I noticed a couple of days ago that dad seems to be having difficulties using his fork, i`m thinking about giving him a spoon to use instead.

Since dads diagnosis in April, he seems to be going downhill pretty quickly.......I`m not sure whether this is because i`m now aware of what is wrong with dad or whether it`s the way things happen. I only know that the way he`s going on at the moment i think i`ll be having to feed dad soon?

Hope your sleeping ok tonight?

Best wishes

Jan.

Hi jan

Just got your message
I don't have very much experience with AD as i was thrown in at the deep end. My partner took ill and was in a coma for 12 weeks and woke up with Vascular Dementia following 2 strokes, so i'm not sure "if it's the way things happen" but i know how distressing it is for you.
If you think it would help to get more food into him by feeding him, then thats what i would do.
I would let him feed himself (so that he stays as independant as possible) then when he gives up, take over and try to get more into him.

My partner can't move anything so he has to be spoon fed, (He is still in hospital) i worry that the nurses don't try hard enough or give up trying, so most days i try to visit the hospital twice a day so that i can feed him, its such hard work but i find that it can be used as quality time.

I hope yor dad is o.k. please keep me posted on how he is doing.

Another sleepless night!:)

Take care
Alex