Food in a care home

juicy13

Jan 22, 2014
Hello, I was just wondering what kind of meals they serve in care homes, I know it's a bigger lunch and smaller evening meal but just wondered what kind if thing they get for an evening meal as my mum just gets a toasted teacake and I don't think that's enough.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Sorry I have no experience with care homes, I'm sure others who have will be along later today.
I don't think a toasted tea cake is enough either, also it's a long time between the evening meal and breakfast the next day
Has your mum like lost weight while there.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I agree that's not enough for an evening meal and suggest you speak to the staff/director/manager/nurse manager/whomever right away.

The only thing I can think of is that at my mother's care home, if a resident refuses a meal, doesn't eat a meal, or isn't feeling well, the staff will offer them snacks or something like a toasted cheese sandwich or bowl of soup instead of the meal. I'm not saying this is the case with your mum, just wondering out loud.

Hope you can get this straightened out quickly!

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
At my mother's CH they were always offered soup, plus little sandwiches or a couple of alternatives (though I can't remember what since my mother always had the sandwiches) followed by something like mousse, or stewed/tinned fruit with custard or cream. She often ate very little of the first two, but would nearly always eat the pudding.

I don't think just a teacake is enough, either. What time is that? At my mother's this meal was served at about 5.30, and it's a long time from then until breakfast.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband's nursing home offers sandwiches, Soup, assorted cakes or a simple hot meal like cheese and potatoe mash, corned beef and mash and sometimes hot dogs and beef burgers. They are also offered something light for supper if they want it.

Through the day toast, teacakes, doughnuts and eclairs are available if someone is hungry. There are always boiled eggs in the fridge for making sandwiches.

My husband is on a puréed diet so he has the potatoe and cheese and they mash up sponge cake with fresh cream so he can have the cake. It does not look that good but it sure tastes great.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mums care home has things like sandwiches, soup, cheese pudding, quiche, hot dogs etc for tea.

Things like tea-cakes, toast, cake and biscuits are used as snacks.

It sounds very strange to have just tea-cakes for tea. Is this whats on the menu?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
A tea cake sounds more like something they should be having for supper after a good breakfast, lunch and tea,

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
My mums care home have regular meals and snacks all day. The meals are small as therexare so many. Every meal is an event. The have breakfast, tea and cakes mid morning, 3 course lunch, 2 course dinner and supper of tea and toast. My mum complains that the meaks are too small as she can only remember something for about and hour. She had put 10pounds on in 8 months but thinks she is being starved!

juicy13

Jan 22, 2014
My mum has lost over 2 stone since going in the home, we have spoken to them about this and they promised she would have a hot meal at tea time, this is at 5 pm but again yesterday all they put down in front of her was a teacake, sometimes they have soup with it sometimes they don't, if she didn't eat the teacake the only alternative she was being offered was a cold sandwich, even when it's a hot meal it's toast and beans, I just wasn't sure if this was normal routine for care homes, thank you for your comments .

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
My husband s care home they get 3 course meal at lunch time snacks mid morning and afternoon soup and sandwiches cake and yoghurt or mouse in evenings plus snacks when they are hungry I have been there for meals and I am always offered food if I want to join meals teacake is just a snack I would complain if I was you

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Wow I'd be throwing the mother of all hissy fits if my Mum had lost two stone (in how long?) and only got a poxy little teacake in the space of 18 hours!!!!

A friend of mine was forced to put his lovely mum in a carehome which cost £1000 a week :eek: She didn't eat a lot but loved orange juice.
The staff in the home said that she was only allowed ONE SMALL GLASS of orange juice a day because 'it's so expensive'.

:mad:

For a grand a week surely she should have been allowed to bathe in the bloomin' stuff if she wanted?!

It's bad enough worrying about abuse in care homes but you do expect the residents to get enough to eat, even if it's not Michelin starred. I pray my parents never have to go in but, if they do I will be taking in food parcels as well as setting up so many Teddy Cams their room will look like the winners' shelf at a funfair. Grrr.

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
My mum has lost over 2 stone since going in the home, we have spoken to them about this and they promised she would have a hot meal at tea time, this is at 5 pm but again yesterday all they put down in front of her was a teacake, sometimes they have soup with it sometimes they don't, if she didn't eat the teacake the only alternative she was being offered was a cold sandwich, even when it's a hot meal it's toast and beans, I just wasn't sure if this was normal routine for care homes, thank you for your comments .

If your mum has lost over 2 stone, and you are seeing evidence that she is not being fed properly (not only is a teacake an inadequate amount, it also doesn't have much nutritional value), I'd raise merry hell with the management and/or try to find your mum an alternative home asap.

juicy13

Jan 22, 2014
We are in the process of trying to move my mum just now as there is other issues we aren't happy with, cleanliness etc, thanks for all your help.