Food, glorious food

Did change/quantity of diet affect them?

• The person never got agitated/aggressive

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • - they never got agitated/aggressive and diet changed greatly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • - they never got agitated/aggressive and diet remained exactly the same

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • The person did get agitated/aggressive

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • - they got agitated/aggressive and diet changed greatly

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • - they got agitated/aggressive and diet remained exactly the same

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
There was a fascinating programme on Radio 4 this afternoon, where they were discussing prisons.

One part was describing the major success that researchers have had in addressing violence in inmates by changing their diet to include more vitamins, fatty acids etc. Also in taking sweets away from them. There is a double blind trial to be done to make this all more scientific.

Which brought my mind to the aspect of aggression/violence with dementia patients.

I generally think of this as part of the progression that might manifest itself, and that we might need to address using medication.

Then I thought back to the very very few times Jan became aggressive.

I recalled that this was towards the end of her time with me at home. By then she had become very choosy with food, and both our diets became a bit bizarre - there was a lot of baked beans on toast as that was all she would eat.

I wonder if the degrading of dietary input has any effect in aggression in dementia patients?

Well, probably not, because I'm sure that someone else would have researched it before. Anyway, I thought a poll might be interesting.......

I've had to bend the poll a bit because there are two threads to it, but I hope you'll get my gist.

I

inmyname

IMHE having gone thru Aluminium poisoning and come so very very close to going over the edge I can indeed say that aggression is the resulting effect of eating something which your body cannot cope with ..........ie for me food cooked in Aluminium

The problem for anyone with such a sensitivity/allergy/poisoning is that unless they are very diligent and careful and totally in tune with their body they cannot establish exactly what has caused the problem

To me the situation today is far more difficult because theres such a plethora of ready prepared foods, cakes, biscuits, sauces etc and we do not see what they are being cooked in in the factories

For eg..........things like {I have removed brand names here - Nada} are lethal where i am concerned because they have been prepared in huge Aluminium vats

Same applies to vast majority of cakes, biscuits ,breakfast cereals
It sounds crazy I know but that is the simple fact

If I have not prepared food from fresh ingredients i cant eat it

for others it might be copper or lead or mercury or cadmium or pesticides or chemicals or dairy foods or wheat the list goes on

Maybe eventually it will be discovered early in childhood that each of us has some immune / enzyme system fault which means we cant deal with a particular food

Last edited by a moderator:

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Foodstuff

We've found that Dad used to get aggressive and agitated in a way that was sorted of related to food....

In that, we think what made him (and still sometimes makes him) agitated and aggressive is when the food is going through his body. Can't say I blame him, wearing a nappy, it wouldn't please me too much to feel my food going through my body. I'd be trying to stop it, but as he no doubt either can't stop it or cannot relate the function to the result, he just appears to get confused and upset by the whole thing, and thus this can lead to agitation and aggression. Have also noticed these days that he is a bit like a baby in that he needs to burp after a meal, and if he doesn't he gets cranky, just like a baby does.

Food for thought anyway, pardon the pun.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
I get extreemly agitated if not fed and have noticed this with my daughter too.
That aside, I really believe what we eat effects the way we act particulary children.

Dad really did get agitated in one particular home where he was not fed well and regularly, but I'm not sure if it was just diet related as there were other factors.

I'm suprised they've skipped the porridge diet in prisons, but it sounds like and interesting programme bruce.

kind regards
Craig

p.s. Apologies! After posting my reply I noticed that this was an old thread. Having trouble with dates at the moment!

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Craig

... there's no such thing as an old thread... it is simply a thread that has lain unnoticed for a while, but still retains its relevance.

Thanks for bringing it into the open again... :)

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Thanks Bruce.

I'm just loving the polls now. We have so many active members now and they have so much potential!