Food for thought

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
I was just posting in the 'After Dementia section' and typed the following sentences:

I want him back, I would even want all those really hard times again if I could, where watching him losing control of his mind was so distressing, just, to have him back for a moment. Just to be able to hold his hand, to look into his eyes, smell his Dad smell.

Even though its hard, so very very hard for all those living with dementia right now. I ask each one who always loved the person who has dementia now to take a moment to just hold that person's hand, breathe in their smell (and yes I know that these days that smell a bit off, but believe me one day you will miss it) and look into that person's eyes (and yes I know you will have to choose that moment). But cherish them again just for a moment. You will be glad you did that every now and then, one day.

I am thinking of you all, I know this is bloody hard, I don't stop thinking of every person who has to deal with this, even though the journey is over for me, so know I didn't post this with condescension in my voice, just want you to have that moment.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Nat, hi
What a very valuable post, something that cannot be said often enough for us.
Sending a bundle of hugs with kind regards from Jo

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
Hi Nat,
You're right, we sometimes lose the good feelings with all the stress.

I like to watch hubby sleeping in the morning and gently stroke his head. I get a deep sigh and a lovely small smile- it's a bit of peace before the chaos of the day.

take care
xx