Food for though

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Here is an articel titled: 'This is what love is' by Karim Gram.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/...html?id=463 f3d65-7d03-46a6-b2a7-a400d3568da
Padraig

Last edited by a moderator:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I couldn't get through on your link, Padraig, but I found the article. Try this:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/...l?id=463f3d65-7d03-46a6-b2a7-a4f00d3568da&p=1

It's an interesting article, focussing on treating AD with diet and exercise, rather than drugs, with a huge emphasis on love and seeing the person, not the disease.

I'd certainly go along with the second part, but drugs have helped John so much, I don't think ruling them out is for everyone.

Thanks for pointing out the article.

Love,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thanks Lonestray -I have just read the story about Ray and Grace - as it says 'a real love story' . Now why does it remind me of you and your wife??? - I wonder!.

Best wishes Beckyjan

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Two years after Grace died in 2003, a randomized double-blind study found that neuroleptics caused greater cognitive decline than a placebo. A study in 2005 conducted by researchers at King's College in London reported that neuroleptics actually hasten death.

Vancouver's premier Alzheimer's expert, neuroscientist Dr. Howard Feldman, director of the University of B.C. Clinic for Alzheimer's Disease, says medical therapy has come a long way since 1990.
While there is still no cure, nor any medication to stop the progression of the disease, the cholinesterase inhibitors now commonly used do modestly improve function in some patients. And since the release of the studies about neuroleptics, prescriptions have declined.
"There is a risk of increased mortality with the neuroleptics that we have come to realize, so they are now used very judiciously," he says.
Ray didn't know any of this in 1991, but he held firmly to the belief that he could better treat Grace with love, stimulation, exercise and good diet.

also found this part very intersting about studies about neuroleptics, antipsychotic medications.

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Beckyjan, I get your message it gave me a laugh, I'm also bloody minded like him and have Jean has done fine without medicine, but go along with good food and exercise for us both.
There was a time I felt like the chap who kept rubbing the dog's nose in it's mess on the kitchen flood, then slung it out the window. But unlike the dog I learned, it stilled messed, then jumped out the window. Padraig