food delivery

lolopops

Aug 24, 2015
West Sussex
Hi everyone
I am new on here so am hoping I can get lots of advice and likewise offer advice and support too if I can! I am a carer to my mother who has dementia and Parkinsons and who lives close by in sheltered housing.

I have a question: could any of you recommend a food delivery service such as Wiltshire Farm Foods etc? I am looking into getting these in place for my mother but would be interested to hear your recommendations.

Thanks x

lolopops

Aug 24, 2015
West Sussex
That is brilliant, thanks so much xx

My mum has WFF and has always been reasonably happy with them, although I know that some say there are better companies out there doing the same thing. WFF are always very obliging - the delivery lady is very caring and lets herself in (we gave them the code to the key safe) as Mum often doesn't answer the door (spends a lot of time in bed), and puts the meals in the freezer for Mum. We even got a call once to tell us that Mum's freezer was overstocked (she goes through phases when she doesn't want to eat). They will phone for an order at whatever interval you like, or will be happy for you to call them to order if that's your preference.

Originally they used to phone Mum once a fortnight for her order, but now her carer checks for me on a Monday how many meals are left, and lets me know if I need to re-order. They deliver to Mum's area on a Thursday.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Lolopops, welcome to TP. I hope you're able to find good advice and support here. I think TP is second to none and it's such a relief to have a safe place to come and vent, as well as to get some advice. There are lovely people here. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's situation. Dementia does seem to present challenges with nutrition. My mother, who lived alone with no services, didn't eat properly, and I've heard lots of others here say the same.

I know I've seen others mention they use food delivery services, or have in the past, so hope you'll get more responses. You might also try a search to see what you turn up.

Sorry I haven't specific experience or advice to offer, but welcome, and hope you are able to work something out.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
I love WFF, got them for my parents but they taste so good that my sister and I have them as well. Can't normally get on with lots of ready meals but don't find WFF oily and they don't repeat on me. Price wise I think they are comparable to supermarket ready meals. The parents love them and so easy to cook in microwave. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them :cool:

Hibni

Sep 16, 2013
My mother has used WFF for a few years now and likes the majority of the meals. She marks on the order form the meals that she wants and I order them online. All the drivers are DBS checked and will put the meals in the freezer if necessary.

Although my mother lives with us she's still able to use the microwave to get her own meals. It's her very old microwave (anyone remember Bejams? ;) )and I'm dreading it breaking as she'll never learn to use a different one.

scattysue

Aug 20, 2015
I've just recently started ordering Wiltshire Farm Foods for my sister who is in early stage dementia. She loves the meals and her Home Care visitor cooks a meal for her each evening in the microwave. My sister lives alone about 30 miles from me and it is such a relief to know that she is getting a hot meal each day - previously she claimed she was eating but on checking the contents of her fridge/freezer I knew this was not the case.
I have no experience of other suppliers of such meals, but I am very happy with the service provided by Wiltshire Farm Foods.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
We tried both WFF and Oakhouse foods for mum. She didn't like them much, but I think that was because she kept trying to cook them herself instead of waiting for the carer she and couldn't use the microwave correctly. One advantage was that the ranges include 'mini meals' which are excellent if your mum has a small appetite and (like mine) finds wasting food abhorrent.

Oakhouse had a slightly wider range, but not everything could be cooked in the microwave. Also if you are comparing to a traditional meals on wheels service there is the advantage that you can eat at a time to suit you.

Had no problems at all with delivery service; drivers were very helpful and very willing to comply with special requests.

Last edited:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
My mum uses WFF and is very happy with them. The warden (she is currently in warden controlled flat) orders them and mum pays in cash when they arrive. I offered to order and pay but mum is happy with the current system. She had a couple of spare meals that she gave to me, hubby ate them and says they were perfectly acceptable.