Fold away Shower seat

Under_the_radar

Jan 28, 2021
South Bucks
Hello Everyone,
A family member of mine has mixed dementia and seems to be not wanting to shower. It's become a touchy subject and he gets agitated when its brought up. this mixed with UTI's is a vicious cycle.

We are starting to think that his lack of wanting to shower may actually be a balance/confidence issue as it seems when he does shower he holds onto the shower pipe (not the safest). We are looking to install a fold away shower seat to be attached on the wall of the walk in shower (under the pretence its for his wife not him) which is simple to use. I was concerned those with fold down legs would cause more confusion and possibly injury if he doesn't set them up correctly but I'm also not sure what fold down ones are best for someone who's balance is impaired and suffers with dementia.

If anyone has any experience/solutions/advice/links regarding this it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

tiny dancer

Jun 7, 2020
Although I have been a member for about a year and regularly catch up with the latest posts I have never actually posted anything myself before.
When I read your post I thought I should answer it as I had a similar problem with my husband who has mixed dementia. I was advised by a plumber not to fit a wall seat instead buy a shower chair. It has a back and arms, also height adjustable. He feels safe in it and encouraging him to shower (never daily!) is much easier.
Hope this helps!

Under_the_radar

Jan 28, 2021
South Bucks
Although I have been a member for about a year and regularly catch up with the latest posts I have never actually posted anything myself before.
When I read your post I thought I should answer it as I had a similar problem with my husband who has mixed dementia. I was advised by a plumber not to fit a wall seat instead buy a shower chair. It has a back and arms, also height adjustable. He feels safe in it and encouraging him to shower (never daily!) is much easier.
Hope this helps!
Thank you for your response, I was wondering if this would be a better option but I'm not sure if he would be able to physically manoeuvre the chair because of his balance and if he had to ask us, or it was obvious he was using it I don't think he would use it as he likes to think he is still independent, whereas a fold down he will probably just think "as its there I'd might as well". But of course if a fold down one isn't realistic I was debating using one with back and arms for stability for him. Can I ask why the plumber recommended you not fit a seat? As this may help us make a decision. Also if you have a brand name or a link to the chair you currently use that would be brilliant so I can buy one if we decide on the chair! Thank you again for taking the time, I appreciate it!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @THarris welcome to DTP. There may be a number of reasons why your relative is avoiding showering, and things like a fear of water over the face/head can be quite common in those with dementia so it may not just be due to a confidence/balance issue. I would recommend that an assessment is carried out by an occupational therapist - referrals can be made via the GP or sometimes directly to the local authority. The OT will visit the home to assess both your relative and the bathroom and make suggestions as to the safest solution regarding bathing/showering. If any equipment such as grab rails, shower seats etc are deemed necessary then these can be provided free of charge. You may find this factsheet about bathing/showering useful too as it contains some useful tips: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/daily-living/washing-and-bathing