Foecal incontinence

Luisa

Jul 29, 2012
I look after my father with advanced Alzheimers in his home. Recently he had a stroke which has made his left hand useless and his mobility is now severely impaired. He can barely stand up without wanting to sit down again immediately.

He has also developed incontinence, but not in the fullest sense of the word. He still knows he wants to go, but is totally confused about what he wants to do. Also he is constipated and only doing little bits of poo all the time, which makes things exhausting for me. He wears adult diapers and is endlessly feeling uncomfortable, but when I stand him up to do a wee (in a bottle, usually) he just stands there saying he doesn't need to, even though a minute before he was bursting. I usually find there is some poo in his bottom, which indicates to me that he is confusing "wee" and "poo". But because he hasn't been emptying his bowels fully, this endless stream of poo is driving me mad. I try to be careful that he drinks plenty and give him lots of veg and fibre, also give him prune juice, and resort to laxatives sometimes, although not sure of the benefit. Because he hardly moves all day I can't see the problem going away any time soon, and I'm at the end of my tether. The incontinence nurse is due to come soon, hope she will give me some pointers, but any further advice welcome. I have a commode, but getting him to sit on it requires two people and is very challenging and he doesn't understand why he's there. It hasn't triggered him to go yet. He will say he needs a poo, but when I get him to the toilet or commode he just sits there looking up at me, asking to go back to bed. The combination of Alzheimers with semi-incontinence is a devastating one. Any ideas gratefully received.

I wonder why our supermarkets still have absolutely no provision for old age necessities. In Japan, the supermarket shelves are laden with adult diapers, but here there is a huge section for babies and NIL for the elderly. We are seriously behind the times. It is unbelievable that the problems of old age are still basically taboo in this country. Something has to change.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Incontinence nurse is best option. These products are very pricey. We only get 3 per day-nurse decides on need. However what is supplied is very good and I buy in any extras from company supplying nhs.
Nurse also gives advice on which barrier cream is required to go with the product prescribed as some clog up the pores and deem pad useless. Then you get cream on prescription.
Have discovered that veg are better than salads for pushing through! Veg best for this are of course those limited if on warfarin. However a week before INR is done you gradually increase amount and tell nurse/doctor you have done this. Keeping amounts same is important if on warfarin.
Liquid intake is of course vital and biggest difficulty to overcome. With increased use of cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower use of Laxido has declined.

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
Try Movicol. It isn't a laxative as such but keeps the stools soft so no constipation. You should be able to get it on prescription. Try taking him to the toilet at regular intervals before he asks. Can you leave him sitting on the loo for a while. The sensation to push might come only after he's been sitting there for a few minutes. Good luck.

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Constipation really needs dealing with as it can result in diarrhoea overflow which is not nice - trust me. I have started OH on Fybogel sachets again, one in the morning and one in the evening, and so far it's doing the trick. They are good as they look like fruit juice when dissolved, but I have also heard about Movicol. Both can be got on prescription. The Continence Service should provide you with a certain amount of pads, though which strength and how many they give really depends on their budget and is different in each borough. I am currently waging a one-woman war to get more pads prescribed!

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Just a thought Luisa - when you say dad says he is "bursting" then doesn't wee in the bottle, has he had prostate checked in case he is unable to pass urine properly? Continence nurse could advise on this although maybe you have done this already.

If you need to buy extra things to deal with dad's needs make sure you get VAT exemption. I have bought incontinence products hubby has needed from AGE UK but I'm sure any other companies do the same - you let them know it is for use at home so you don't need to pay VAT.