Fluids only

kaz13

Jul 27, 2014
Hi

it’s been a while since I last posted

Mum is in a good care home but her appetite has shrunk recently to just soft foods or fluids including Fortisip drinks.
She sleeps much of the time, she’s got real frail in the last month and it’s so hard to watch this happen.
The home is now purée in all foods as she has stopped chewing foods - the memory bit for this simple action stopped happening.

I just wonder how much more this disease will take before the end.
Struggling emotionally

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s really heartbreaking to watch @kaz13

Deep down we all know this will happen but when it does we are never prepared for it.

All you can do is be there for your mum and help to make sure she is comfortable and painfree.

I hope she knows you are with her. It will give her comfort.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Is your mum taking in the pureed diet well?
If so, she could go on a long time like this. Once she gets to End of Life she will stop taking the pureed food and will also stop taking in any fluid too. It is heartbreaking to watch any downturn
((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi

Mum is in a good care home but her appetite has shrunk recently to just soft foods or fluids including Fortisip drinks.
She sleeps much of the time, she’s got real frail in the last month and it’s so hard to watch this happen.
The home is now purée in all foods as she has stopped chewing foods - the memory bit for this simple action stopped happening.

Struggling emotionally

Hi @kaz13 we are in the same place with dad, no appetite, more or less a fluid diet now. Dad is still at home and we have started carers today. Dad has cancer and had recent pains so he has now been given morphine and sleeps almost all day but he has been sleeping like this for months now.

He was eating until a week or so ago, not a lot but just enough to sustain him but now it is very little so he will decline further. As @canary says, I believe that dad could go on a lot longer than we may expect him to. Yes it is an emotional struggle that just gets harder the longer it goes on. Wishing you lots of strength along the way.

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Hi

Struggling emotionally
Hi kaz13 I feel for you. I have been on this journey with mum like so many others. I'm afraid you just have to go along with what is happening and understand that it is part of this disease and nature's way of bringing life to a conclusion. My mum stopped eating on December 1st but was drinking tea and hot milk. Anything else and her lips were sealed. She overcame a severe chest infection after spitting out the antibiotic medicine. I thought at last all the suffering would come to an end. Not to be. She started eating a little pureed food again towards the end of December and then at the beginning of January stopped eating again but would occasionally drink. Mum eventually stopped taking fluids too and died on January 16th. It is an unimaginable situation to be in until you are actually in it. Just try and be there for her giving comfort and love as much as you can xxx

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
My Mum started not taking food properly at the end of 2019 taking some thickened fluids and fluids on and off. Sleeping a lot but also on occasion being alert. Sometimes eating porridge.
I also knew this might happen at some time but I am finding this stage difficult too.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi kaz13 I feel for you. I have been on this journey with mum like so many others. I'm afraid you just have to go along with what is happening and understand that it is part of this disease and nature's way of bringing life to a conclusion. My mum stopped eating on December 1st but was drinking tea and hot milk. Anything else and her lips were sealed. She overcame a severe chest infection after spitting out the antibiotic medicine. I thought at last all the suffering would come to an end. Not to be. She started eating a little pureed food again towards the end of December and then at the beginning of January stopped eating again but would occasionally drink. Mum eventually stopped taking fluids too and died on January 16th. It is an unimaginable situation to be in until you are actually in it. Just try and be there for her giving comfort and love as much as you can xxx
Sending you love xx

kaz13

Jul 27, 2014
Just when I thought I had accepted the fluids only, she is now having days when declining these as well.
Part of me wants all this over but she is my mum and I want to be with her until I can’t.
I hate what is happening.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Just when I thought I had accepted the fluids only, she is now having days when declining these as well.
Part of me wants all this over but she is my mum and I want to be with her until I can’t.
I hate what is happening.
((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) lots of them I’m so sad for you. I found by swabbing Dads mouth with dampened sponges I contributed to his comfort. It’s a little thing ...I know
Xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Im so sorry.
I hated this limboland. Just take one day, hour or even minute, at a time

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This is a horrible time for you all. No matter how much we read about it here and feel mentally prepared the reality is so much more painful emotionally. My thoughts are with all going through this.