Fluctuating Weight

Samantha895

Apr 8, 2019
My 98 year old grandmother appears to be in the middle/later stages of dementia. She is totally immobile, is not able to converse coherently, does not recognise close family members, is unable to do anything for herself and is experiencing hallucinations.

She has been in a care home for 2 years and over that time has lost a large amount of weight - at her lowest, she was 6 stone. Over the past 6 months however, she has put on 2 stone, not via eating as she has such a tiny appetite and eats very little, but through the fortified, calorific milk drinks they get her to drink- as many as 4 a day.

The care home is pleased that she has put on the weight, however, are unable to give a definitive answer in relation to sustainability. As she is immobile and spends 23 hours a day in bed, I have concerns over excessive weight gain and associated health implications.

Curious to know if anyone has experienced a similar situation with PWD seemingly yoyo-ing weight wise?

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
I’m in a very similar boat with my mum, she is younger than your nan but all the same has had Alzheimer’s for 13 or so years and has been immobile for 4 years and completely bed bound for a year. She too is loaded up with calorific food and drink so therefore is still quite a large lady. She is unable to move herself, speak, feed herself, express herself in any way. Everything is done for her.
Due to her weight she fights off every infection (and she has skin, urine and chest infections often) so it’s good in some ways but on the other hand it feels as though it prolonging her miserable existence. Due to her weight she suffers skin breakdown, rashes, pressure marking plus she’s often ‘full up’ burping and looking quite uncomfortable / short of breath. She opens her mouth when anything comes close so food and sweetened milky drinks are given freely by the care home staff. Terrible thing to wish someone would fade away but I do think it at times. Then I feel guilt.

Samantha895

Apr 8, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Sounds incredibly similar to my grandma and the situation she is in. She has no quality of life whatsoever and it's horrendous to watch. I too have had thoughts about her fading away peacefully, surely that's only natural in the face of seeing a loved one in this state? Doesn't stop the guilt that you speak of!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix77