flu vaccinations

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
I have arranged Mum's flu vaccination for next week and have heard that the vacc has now been extended to include carers. Have you heard of this? How many people here have the vaccination? Just concerned about the possibility of both my husband and myself becoming ill, who would look after Mum .... We haven't had flu for many, many years, but usually when one gets something, we both get it.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I too have a flu vaccine appointment next week and the rules are the MAIN carer is entitled to have the vaccine.

Linda

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
As in the past 2 years, I've asked for Jan NOT to have the vaccination. I'm not having it either.

Personal choice.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Lulu,

The NHS Direct web site says:

If you’re the carer of an elderly or disabled person make sure they’ve had their flu jab. You should also get the jab yourself if their welfare is at risk (i.e. you can’t look after them) if you fall ill. Ask your GP for advice

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/news.asp?articleID=1271

So if either you or your husband got the flu your mum's welfare would be at risk, then that seems to fit the criterion.

Take care,

Sandy

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I was offered the pneumonia jab last month (because of my age), but had not had a chance to fix an appointment. We now have 3 open days at the surgery for flu jabs (just turn up). Enquired today whether I could get mine done together - oh no - I must still make app. for pneumonia. I shall have to get all this done when Lionel goes to respite. - another half day gone already. Connie

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Yes Lulu this is the first year I have been offered the vaccination. I was never offered it before as mum's carer (mum died in March) but I am having it this year as dad's carer. Although Linda is right in saying it is only for the "main" carer. Like Connie I can't get mine done along with dad and had to make another appt which means 2 trips in taxis and having to take dad along with me for mine as he takes anxiety attacks if left alone in the house. It's never easy is it?

Last edited:

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
Thanks everyone. I have made my appointment for the flu, and think we've both already had the pneumonia one. Am I right in believing that this is a one-off?

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Mum has the pneumonia jab a few years ago and I was told at the time it lasts 10 years, but things change and it may be different now. I'm sure someone out there will know for sure.