Flu jab

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
Mum had a flu jab on Friday - seems definitely more befuddled than usual and not merry at all yesterday and today. I dont' think she has a uti (but will check with the gp tomorrow if she doesn't perk up) but could it be the flu jab? Anyone else found this with their caree?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Definitely worth checking for a uti but sometimes a cold or flu like symptoms can cause extra confusion - the same as I am under the weather I lose my edge :)

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
Mum's certainly worse when she's got a cold. I was in two minds about the flu jab, but I help out for a couple of hours a week at a local school and kids have no idea what basic hygiene is. Although I wash my hands very thoroughly when I get in, I'm a bit nervous about bringing something home to her. I understand carers can have one under the NHS, but I'm not going to. I'm with Patsy's mum on that;)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I visit my mother in her nursing home and my husband and I have been getting the flu jab (which is free for all here in Ontario) for years now. I wouldn't consider going into a place which has a medically vulnerable population without one.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I always have my flu jab too - I would feel terrible if someone vulnerable caught something because of me!!!

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
They come round Mum's care home and Mum had her jab and she was a bit off the wall for a few days afterwards, so maybe it does affect her. I felt very tired about 24 hours later so who know whether or not the flu jabs affect us. I still always have one though.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I had a large red area on my arm after my flu jab this year which has taken ages to fade but no pain and no other side effects.
I always said yes to my husband's flu jab when he was in the nursing home.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
The jab site can swell a little, be a little sore and get red. My main symptom is itchiness - I find myself scratching the spot for a couple of days. I've never had more than that.

NeonPink

Nov 7, 2015
My father had his flu jab and has been fine, no sore arm, cold or anything, my arm hurt for few days and then I got the nasty three week cold doing the rounds, which started in week 1 with migraine ( never had one before) and ended week 3 with cough?!!! Oh well at least neither of us have flu

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
My father had his flu jab and has been fine, no sore arm, cold or anything, my arm hurt for few days and then I got the nasty three week cold doing the rounds, which started in week 1 with migraine ( never had one before) and ended week 3 with cough?!!! Oh well at least neither of us have flu

I hope your fully better now.
As a long time Migraine sufferer, I hope you never have another one, coz they really arnt nice at all and that's putting it mildly .

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
OH had her jab in October and did not feel any effects, but a bad cold in September had knocked her sideways. My mum always gets a bad reaction to the flu jab, so I suppose it affects us all differently.

On the subject of UTIs which Beetroot raised. Does anyone have any tips on how to take a urine sample, always seems to end up on the floor or in the confusion goes down the pan. I am not sure if OH still gets them after doc stopped preventative anti biotics, but we have never managed to take a sample to check if this is the source of her occasional more confused days.

Last edited:

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Stand them on kylie sheet -catch it in clean small jug and dispose jug afterwards!!!

NeonPink

Nov 7, 2015
I hope your fully better now.
As a long time Migraine sufferer, I hope you never have another one, coz they really arnt nice at all and that's putting it mildly .

I'm better now thanks, so should be full strength for Christmas It was horrible, I've never felt anything like it before. People I work with have tried to describe theirs, but it really opened my eyes. I hope you are migraine free for the future!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Flu jab - never again!

Two weeks ago we both had flu jab. Have been having it for years without a problem. Within the week I was in a bad way with flu especially coughing very painfully. John then collapsed and has spent eight days in hospital and released today. Sepsis and delirium on the discharge sheet with a comment about his chest infection and that I had a bad viral infection.

I will definitely not get it again as we both paid the price.