Flu jab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020
Hi there can anyone tell me if they have managed to receive a flu jab as a carer if you are under the age of 65?
My sister rang me yesterday to say her chemist had given her a jab and she completed the form ticking the box as a registered carer and as she went to pay for it the pharmacist said it was free. I have contacted my GP who are only giving to over 65’s as are Asda.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@Dragonfly1 My sister works in a GP surgery and has advised that the flu jabs are being 'prioritised' so are not being routinely provided to under 65's. The NHS guidance explains who is entitled to a free flu jab this year, and includes no reference to carers. It states:

Later in the year, the flu vaccine may be given to people aged 50 to 64. More information will be available later in the autumn. However, if you're aged 50 to 64 and in an at-risk group, you should not delay having your flu vaccine.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/

Sounds like your sister 'struck lucky' by visiting a pharmacist who is using old forms and isn't aware of the current NHS flu jab guidance. I imagine that demand for the jab is likely to be very high this year and stocks may get low so I've booked to have my done at a local pharmacy. Due to the high demand I've still got quite a long wait before my appointment but I'd rather pay the £13 or so charge now to make sure that I get a flu jab rather than risk waiting to hear whether free jabs will or won't be made available to under 65's.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
When my wife was diagnosed we were both under 65.

Our GP gave me the jab as 'carer' but said my wife was not eligible as dementia was not on the 'list' as approved for the jab. I argued that a dose of the flu could have a bad outcome for someone with dementia and the GP agreed to the jab. I suppose it depends on the GP and needs in the current pandemic. The fact that I'm in NI may also be a factor in my case.

I may be wrong but seem to recall there was some talk of rolling out the jab to younger ages due to the effect that the flu may have with Covid-19 also in circulation.

It may be worth trying the GP again - there's an old saying that 'it's the squeaky gate that gets the oil'.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I may be wrong but seem to recall there was some talk of rolling out the jab to younger ages due to the effect that the flu may have with Covid-19 also in circulation.

You're not wrong as details of a new flu vaccination programme was announced in July although it's a bit vague in relation to when free jabs will actually become available for those aged 50 - 65: "A significant new group will be eligible for the free flu vaccine as people aged 50 to 64 will be invited later in the season for a vaccination" and "the department will work with clinicians to decide when to open the programme to invite people aged 50 to 64, with further details to be announced".

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...-in-uk-history-will-be-rolled-out-this-winter

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i think they are prioritising the most vulnerable first basically those that have had to shield first then those with underlying medical problems like me with diabetes, copd etc

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I had an email from Patient Access - the site my surgery uses for prescriptions and stuff. It had an eligibility checker for the flu jab so I tried it. I'm 60. I had to tick 'none of the above' for most of the boxes as I am no longer a carer, not vulnerable or a key worker - nothing really! Upshot was that I was told I wasn't currently eligible as others were being prioritised at this point, but to come back in November as they were hoping more vaccine would be available to 50-60 year olds then.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I asked at the surgery a couple of years ago to see if I could have a flu jab as I was visiting Mum so frequently in her CH.
It was a bit cheeky asking as I would not normally be eligible, but thought it was worth a chance. Previously I had a medical problem that had flagged me to be offered the flu jab, although at the time I had refused it as I had been 'fixed'.
Anyway, I was told that I was 'a carer' and therefore entitled to the jab. I had it then, and was on the list and recalled in the first batch the following year.
This year Mum is sadly no longer with us, so I am about to book a slot at the chemist.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi there can anyone tell me if they have managed to receive a flu jab as a carer if you are under the age of 65?
My sister rang me yesterday to say her chemist had given her a jab and she completed the form ticking the box as a registered carer and as she went to pay for it the pharmacist said it was free. I have contacted my GP who are only giving to over 65’s as are Asda.
I’m a carer and under 65.I was offered it last year but declined. Not sure if I would be offered it this year but if I was I would still decline. It will be interesting to see how many people get offered it.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Here in Ontario the flu shot (as we call it) won't be available till mid-October but once it is, it is free to everyone. In the past it has been a 'first come, first served' situation. I don't know how they will handle it this year but I suspect it will be the same. The provincial government has been urging people to get the jab as the symptoms for flu and COVID are so similar. if a person has the jab and then gets ill, at least it will be far more likely that it is COVID and not flu.

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
I’m 64 and my mum’s carer. I was able to get the flu jab last year as her carer.

When I phoned to make her an appointment for this year I asked if I could have one too as I was her carer and was told I qualified this time, which I took to mean because of my age.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've had a letter through to get my flu jab(I have over a decade to go until I am 65), as has my son aged 15.

My understanding is that whilst over 50s are getting the flu jab this year they can only access it later whereas the normal qualifying vulnerable groups should be able to access it now ie over 65s, asthma and carers.

It might be a misunderstanding of the rules by the GPs receptionist.

Whilst there are a lot of colds/viruses in circulation in early winter which are similar to mild flu, flu isn't normally in circulation until mid December so provided you get a jab by the end of November you should be OK. (They determine if it is flu by lab testing - and other viruses don't lead to pneumonia in the same way as flu does).

I really don't understand anyone not getting the flu jab who is entitled to one, 2 years ago my daughter and husband got flu (she hadn't had the jab as she always gets a mild illness afterwards and we couldn't get an appointment which fitted in with races). Both were on the sofa and unable to do anything for 2 weeks, my husband hadn't had a day off sick for over a decade and cycled 10 miles to work each day, and my dau ended up with pneumonia. My dau was racing elite level cyclocross at the time with over half the women she was racing against being full time professionals - so she was very fit but had asthma which led to the pneumonia. The Dr commented her resting pulse was normal at 75 - when we pointed our her normal resting pulse was low 40s he changed his notes to abnormal.

If you are entitled to the jab please get it.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I always get mine as asthmatic, and when I was teaching I was always catching things off the little darlings. Of course I miss them now! However last year there was some kind of shortage so got mine much later than planned but I am reliably told that flu vaccines have been ordered and manufactured at record levels and I am hoping to be called for mine soon.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I always receive a letter inviting me to my GP surgery‘s Saturday morning drop in session for the flu jab but as I have to go there for my Vit.B12 injection I usually ask the receptionist to book me for the flu jab on the same appointment, which they always do. (Saving me two trips and another appointment for the nurse). When I booked my B12 injection for the end of this month and asked for the flu jab too I was told they weren’t sure what the protocol was for this year yet as they needed to be extra careful. So now I just hope the nurse will agree to do my flu jab at the same appointment as my Vitamin one.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hot off the press - the new Covid Winter Plan has just been published and clarifies the position around who is entitled to a free flu jab, including reference to carers (in bold):

We are providing free flu vaccines to the following groups:

health and social care staff in direct contact with people who receive care or support and who are employed by a residential care or nursing home, registered homecare organisation, or hospice

all personal care assistants who provide individuals with care and support via a direct payment, personal budget or personal health budget

people with certain medical conditions, those with learning disabilities, those aged 65 years or over, and people who are pregnant

people who are living in a long-stay residential care home or another long-stay care facility

people on the ‘shielded’ list, their household and carers

people who receive a Carer’s Allowance or are the main carer for an older or disabled person

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...al-care-our-covid-19-winter-plan-2020-to-2021

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im on 3 of those categories but how do you get it if you cant go out. im stuck in and until pain management sort me out its painful even to sit and we dont have a car and it would hurt too much even if we did. havent been out for 10 weeks

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I had it last year. All I would add is don’t plan anything for the next day as I had 24 hour side effects. They weren’t too bad but I would not have liked a busy day

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
im on 3 of those categories but how do you get it if you cant go out.

Worth speaking to the GP surgery as you won't be the only person who can't leave home and they might be able to arrange to give the jab during home visits.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I have just received my letter inviting me to a specific time slot at the GP Surgery next Sunday! As I’m booked for B12 injection a few days later I’ll see if I can combine the two then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513