Flexible Furlough

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
So a couple of days ago my boss emailed me askingSen me to sign a form changing the terms of my furloug to the flexible furlough scheme. I phoned him to discuss it as I was not happy with the implications of signing this agreement. I meant that they could call me back to work at there whim and since I’ve cancelled all carer visits this could leave me in an unworkable situation.

My boss assured me that this wouldn’t happen and he had no intention to bring me back tI’ll October at the earliest. I asked why it was not possible for me to remain on the existing furloug scheme to which he responded that if I did not consent to the change of terms then I would lose my job. So not feeling I had much choice I signed the form.

This evening I had a phone call from my line manager telling me I was to attend a meeting next Thursday to prepare me for restarting work on the following Monday. I explained that i wasn’t able to attend a meeting as I had no one to look after mum and I only had carers on Monday and Tuesday, as they are well aware because those were the days I worked, and would be unable to attend. I was informed that failure to attend would result in me losing my job.

I work in a hotel. I do not consider it a safe environment with random people coming and going all hours of the day. I work in a tiny kitchen where social distancing would be impossible. I’m a full time carer for my mum. I’m between a rock and a hard place here.

Any suggestions?

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
It’s the industry they are tough and without reason?However they are not above the law.
I would contact the ACAS helpline as they have specific duties of care for COVID-19 and just can’t put you back in the kitchen without risk assessments etc
I tried to link it but couldn’t do it!!! Stupid me. However if you google Acas you will get it, also take a look at the gov.uk pages as they list guidance for industry on reopening!
Wishing you well with this

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Between a rock and a hard place indeed.
Problem is, whilst you are employed ( although on furlough) as i understand it, your employers duty of care is to you, rather than your Mum. They may very well have put measures in place, and i think if you need to keep your job, you need at least to go to the meeting.

its not a lot different to working Furloughed parents that have no child care, they are having to sort it out and return to work.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Hi, I think an employment tribunal would think that you had “good cause” not to attend as it was not your normal day of work.
You could try contacting your carers and see if they can come in on Thursday, if not go back to management and tell them.
The chancellors announcement yesterday may have sweetened them up £1000 if they don’t sack someone on furlough.
You do have rights but try negotiating first .....there will be others in the same position with childcare (schools shut is again good cause not to attend. Boris has said that himself)
Good luck

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
So I gave the Citizens Advice a call. Hopefully someone will call me back tomorrow. it was suggested that since my boss had said he wouldn’t be getting me back till October, that is effectively a contract. But good luck proving that. I phoned the care agency and asked what the chances of starting up the care package again by next week. Pretty much zero. Obviously all their schedules are done well in advance.

In other news it’s been revealed that the rate of infection where I live has gone up over 100% and pubs and bars are the most dangerous places to frequent. Apparently hotels are safe but I find that hard to reconcile with the fact that every hotel has a bar.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
I understand that this is happening to lots of people but it still doesn’t feel right @Cap'n Grimm. There has to be compassion for your circumstances.
I’d put everything in writing to them given that your boss said one thing and your line manager said another.
You’re caring for a vulnerable person and your employer should be prepared to discuss when you can attend for a meeting.
Good luck.