Flash cards

Debbie Ann C

Apr 1, 2020
Hi there
I am new to this and looking for advise. My mum had lots of memory issues. We are currently in the process of getting an assessment. It may or may not be dementia but from everything I have read it seems likely that it is. I have soooooo many questions but for now I just wanted to ask if flash cards might be helpful. She can’t remember the names of things : mushrooms, carrots lasagne etc... so making a shopping list is very difficult and stressful for her. I don’t want to make her feel like she is a 4 year old child thou.... any advise greatfully received.
thanks

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Debbie Ann C
a warm welcome to DTP

anything you feel may benefit your mum is worth a try ... it may even be fun making some flash cards so they are tailored to your mum, could she have a go herself ... or a large card with pictures of the things she ususlly buys, so she can point to what she wants ... you can always say you are making them as a project to help others or for a bit of fun and would she try them out for you ...turn it into a game of snap?

just don't expect it to work or to see any improvement, so you're not disappointed

with my dad, I tried a lot of things and gauged his reaction, maybe giving it a go 2 to 3 times and leaving off if he showed any signs of distress ... and if something doesn't help or isn't accepted now, it may be useful in a few months, so worth returning after a gap of time

Last edited:

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
In the LA run care centre where my late wife went for respite, followed by a care needs assessment, they had a board with the daily menu written up. They also put pictures of each choice on the board and had laminated photos of the various items that they could show to those residents still able to choose for themselves.

As Shedrech has said, it's a case of try it and see.

Good luck.
Phil

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
It may be worth a try?
i presume you mean to use the cards as a picture guide, which may be useful ,not a flash card training regime, that I feel could be doomed to fail. ( But even so not saying don’t try it, any activity done with humour and goodwill bestows positive attention on the other person)
With dementia what works one day doesn’t necessarily work the next.
Have a look at the link below.

Debbie Ann C

Apr 1, 2020
Thank you all so much. I feel more confident to give it a go. Love the idea of asking her to try it out for me and making the cards together. And yes I was thinking as a picture guide not a training regime. Thanks again

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Mum was having trouble remembering what was in her cupboards.
I took photos of the contents of each cupboard. Printed it out on a4 paper, then laminated each sheet. I then stuck the pictures on the cupboard doors.
was she grateful , no.
Did she throw them in the bin, yes.
Try and retain your enthusiasm, mine isn’t squashed yet !