Fix Dementia Care - letter to the new PM

Discussion in 'Alzheimer's Society notices' started by HarrietD, Jul 23, 2019.

1. HarrietD

HarrietD Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2014
    London
    Hi everyone,

You'll probably have seen the stories in the news over the last few weeks about the enormous costs of care affecting people with dementia and their families. Our estimates put the figure at almost £15 billion spent over the last two years.

Now that a new Prime Minister has been announced, we are standing with people affected by dementia by letting him know that the dementia crisis cannot be ignored any longer. We refuse to allow the broken system to continue - it is unfair, unsustainable and in urgent need of reform.

You can back our letter to the Prime Minister, asking him to #FixDementiaCare as an urgent priority, by adding your name today. If you'd like to do this, all you need to do is click below and you'll be taken to the letter.

2. Jaded'n'faded

Jaded'n'faded Registered User

Jan 23, 2019
    Female
    High Peak
    Hi @HarrietD ,

I have signed the letter but have to say I thought it was a bit wishy-washy! I found it a bit vague - not strongly-worded enough and not really spelling out some of the current problems.

I would have liked to have seen something more specific, perhaps with bullet points and/or suggestions for ways forward rather than what seems to me a rather easily-ignored cry for help.

Just my opinion and no offence intended - I just expected something a lot stronger :(

3. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    He's not going to listen so don't waste your breath. Plus I agree - the letter doesn't spell out clearly what you actually want. Boris isn't a details man.

4. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    I'm not sure what you're asking for. Daily Mail and rest of MSM make out that it's just about saving the family's inheritance. Rosie Boycott (a patron?) repeats that dementia is the only illness that is not fully funded. Wouldn't it be better to look for allies rather than pretend dementia is unique?

5. Louise7

Louise7 Registered User

Mar 25, 2016
    I think they're asking for £2.4bn from the next budget for a new 'dementia fund': https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-involved/our-campaigns/fix-dementia-care

Looks like the letter might be in support of a 'dementia fund' plan that has already been put forward but I agree that it should be more specific about what is being asked for, for the benefit of those who are being asked to sign it.

6. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I’ve signed

7. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
  8. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Signed

Happy with the content especially paragraph two

9. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I’ve signed.

10. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Signed.

11. HarrietD

HarrietD Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2014
    London
    Thanks everyone who's signed so far, and thanks @Jaded'n'faded, @Normaleila and @Louise7 for your specific feedback. That's really helpful and I know the team will appreciate it.

On that note, if anyone has any questions or feedback, please email the team who is running this campaign at: change@alzheimers.org.uk

12. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    I signed yesterday

13. Stripey3

Stripey3 Registered User

May 29, 2019
    Signed and shared

14. Loisand

Loisand Registered User

Dec 25, 2017
    Signed and shared via facebook

15. PJ

PJ Registered User

Jan 26, 2017
    Female
    Bristol
    Signed & shared on FB

16. DesperateofDevon

DesperateofDevon Registered User

Jul 7, 2019
    Signed & shared on Twitter

17. Wifenotcarer

Wifenotcarer Registered User

Mar 11, 2018
    Central Scotland
    I have signed the letter, although I am aware that the situation re funding of Dementia Care is different in Scotland (and Wales too?) but hoping that extra funding would be shared UK wide.

Also could you explain how to share this on Social Media?