fits.....

peeler

May 7, 2007
south cumbria
hi to all, hope you are all well!
just like to pick your brains again. had a call today from dad, from the hospital. mum's had a fall. when i got there it seems that she hasn't had a fall but a fit, that morming. she went into her fit and was rock solid stiff, with irregular breathing. luckily she didn't hurt herself in the fall (which was quite violent).
the siezure seems to have lasted for 20 mins. checked out at hospital, bloods all seem ok. mum at this point is very upset and confused, even i couldn't settle her.
back home now and seems back to as she was.
mum has never had a fit before so i am wondering if this is common with vascular dementia ?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Very common I'm afraid. As I understand it, as lesions in the brain (caused by the TIA's) try to start to heal scar tissue buids up which causes these epileptic seizures. It is possible to get quite effective medication for these BUT they normally want you to have had 2 or 3 documented seizures. My feeling is that since these seizures often happen at night, and the sufferer is unaware of them, even one is the point when you should be pushing for the meds, becasue it's more than probable that they have had one previously but no one is aware of it. I had to be quite pushy with the GP about this, but since she has been taking the meds, my mother has not had another observed seizure (which is not to say she hasn't had one, but if she has it was probably mild).

Jennifer

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Unfortunately my mum has had several seizures even though she is on anti-epilepsy meds. They really do take their toll on her and set her back for a good few days. Her medication has been adjusted once but it doesn't seem to have helped, although fortunately her seizures aren't frequent. I am sure that for lots of people the meds work really well - mum has just been unlucky. :(

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
My husband has seizures, now has has 3. They knock him for 6 for days and sleeps all day after one. He also gets more confused and aggitated after as well. I've just been informed to contact the GP if he has any more so will have to contact the GP to let him know. The problem is no-one knows when and if another seizure will happen. All i know is my husband has a myoclonic jerk first then the seizure will happen almost right away. But then he has had myoclonic jerks for years. I also do not know what type of Dementia he has. Was told it was fontal lobe at first then was told Alxheimers when the jerks started.

McK

Sep 13, 2005
Pgh. Pa. USA
Enzyme Could Explain Seizures in AD Patients

(

source: Massachusetts General Hospital - Researchers at the Mass General Institute for Neurodegenerative Disorders report that an enzyme involved in the formationof AD plaques can also alter the mechanism by which signals are transmitted between brain cells, the disruption of which can cause seizures. The findings may explain the increased incidence of seizures in AD patients and suggest the treatments that block this enzyme - called beta-secretase or BACE may alleviate their occurrence. Full story at : eurekalert.org. - McK

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
chip said:
My husband has seizures, now has has 3. They knock him for 6 for days and sleeps all day after one. He also gets more confused and aggitated after as well. I've just been informed to contact the GP if he has any more so will have to contact the GP to let him know. The problem is no-one knows when and if another seizure will happen. All i know is my husband has a myoclonic jerk first then the seizure will happen almost right away. But then he has had myoclonic jerks for years. I also do not know what type of Dementia he has. Was told it was fontal lobe at first then was told Alxheimers when the jerks started.

It sounds as though the after effects of your husband's seizures are very similar to those of my mum's. Is he on epilepsy meds?

We also don't know what type of dementia my mum has, and I thnk it may well be mixed. We were originally told it was Lewy Bodies (she has Parkinson's disease and it is more common with this) but I have heard that seizures are more common in Vascular Dementia (used to be known as multi infacrt when mum first had dementia, just to confuse the issue!)

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
He is on clonazepam for the seizures at the moment i don't no if this is going to be changed or not now. The problem is you never no when its going to happen. My mum had MI dementia but never had seizures only got the TIA 's no knows whats around the corner with this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson