First visit to care home after 4 months lockdown.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I’ve just had a call from my husband’s care home to say all visits including window visits are cancelled until further notice due to a Covid spike in our area, it’s currently 28 per 100,000?

PamKent

Jul 21, 2020
Kent
I’ve just had a call from my husband’s care home to say all visits including window visits are cancelled until further notice due to a Covid spike in our area, it’s currently 28 per 100,000?
Hi. So sorry to hear about the lockdown at your husbands care home.
it’s such a dreadful time and to be cut off from our loved ones when all we want to do is see they are safe and without pain.
do you think the home would take some pictures of your husband with your phone ?
Just seeing a recent picture would make you feel a little closer I’m sure.
I saw my mum today. I’m over the shock now of seeing she has no mental capacity and visited with a new mindset to talk about her days as a girl which the home day she sometimes talks about.
unfortunately she was drugged up on a morphine patch for her pain and was fairly delirious occasionally calling out for help. So another sad visit.
I hope the lockdown is not for too long for your husband.
stay strong. Regards Pam

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Hi. So sorry to hear about the lockdown at your husbands care home.
it’s such a dreadful time and to be cut off from our loved ones when all we want to do is see they are safe and without pain.
do you think the home would take some pictures of your husband with your phone ?
Just seeing a recent picture would make you feel a little closer I’m sure.
I saw my mum today. I’m over the shock now of seeing she has no mental capacity and visited with a new mindset to talk about her days as a girl which the home day she sometimes talks about.
unfortunately she was drugged up on a morphine patch for her pain and was fairly delirious occasionally calling out for help. So another sad visit.
I hope the lockdown is not for too long for your husband.
stay strong. Regards Pam
@PamKent no they wouldn’t do that it was made clear during the phone call that visitors or even calling in person are not allowed. For updates only phone calls are allowed. Even though it’s a newly built home their tec skills and hardware are sadly lacking, a while ago I mentioned that Alexa would be good so as different types of music could be played on demand instead of cds which go missing you’d have thought I’d asked for the moon!
Just keeping ? that’s its a short lockdown x

PamKent

Jul 21, 2020
Kent
That seems unreasonable to me but in this crazy time I think homes are making up their own rules.
I hope the lockdown is short.
take care and stay safe.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
That seems unreasonable to me but in this crazy time I think homes are making up their own rules.
I hope the lockdown is short.
take care and stay safe.
@PamKent the problem is they are guidelines and as with all guidelines people interpret them differently so frustrating x

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Update - I feel as though I’m on a roller coaster that I can’t get off. After yesterday’s phone call I emailed the head of people services at the council questioning not allowing window visits. I got the automated reply out of the office until Monday. It was quite a surprise when I got a phone call from the home to say they’d been phoned by the operations manager ( don’t know who that is but hey!) says I am able to continue with window visits after them reading my email yesterday and I will get a formal response on Monday. So far touch wood it’s been a good day as my gym opened today and I went for a swim, first time in four months!
Onwards and upwards.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Update - I feel as though I’m on a roller coaster that I can’t get off. After yesterday’s phone call I emailed the head of people services at the council questioning not allowing window visits. I got the automated reply out of the office until Monday. It was quite a surprise when I got a phone call from the home to say they’d been phoned by the operations manager ( don’t know who that is but hey!) says I am able to continue with window visits after them reading my email yesterday and I will get a formal response on Monday. So far touch wood it’s been a good day as my gym opened today and I went for a swim, first time in four months!
Onwards and upwards.

Well done. That does sound like a good day.

PamKent

Jul 21, 2020
Kent
Onwards and upwards.
Hi, So happy to read your post good for you for standing up for common sense and showing as loved ones of their residents we wont be passive. You will feel like a new woman after your swim !

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Well done. That does sound like a good day.
@lemonbalm Update on the update! I’ve just had a phone call from the operations manager (didn’t think they worked Saturdays) asking me exactly what had gone on in the past weeks. His eventual reply was that they needed to get things sorted for the best for all residents and their families and he would be taking action on Monday in order for us all to be able to have visits individually tailored to each residents needs. All of things I told him about he was unaware of so I think a few people are in for a grilling on Monday morning - what a shame but you know what I don’t really care because at the end of the day it’s about my husband and what’s right for him.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Hi, So happy to read your post good for you for standing up for common sense and showing as loved ones of their residents we wont be passive. You will feel like a new woman after your swim !
@PamKent I’ve replied to lemon balm so if you read that you’ll see my update on my update.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
@lemonbalm Update on the update! I’ve just had a phone call from the operations manager (didn’t think they worked Saturdays) asking me exactly what had gone on in the past weeks. His eventual reply was that they needed to get things sorted for the best for all residents and their families and he would be taking action on Monday in order for us all to be able to have visits individually tailored to each residents needs. All of things I told him about he was unaware of so I think a few people are in for a grilling on Monday morning - what a shame but you know what I don’t really care because at the end of the day it’s about my husband and what’s right for him.

You're on a roll! :)

millalm

Oct 9, 2019
Good for you @Baker17. Its exhausting having to fight the care home for reasonable access isn't it? it's no different here in Canada. They wouldn't let me move a 5 minute window visit from one day to the next so I could see my Mum on her 87th birthday. It seems universal that the staff in many of these care homes are drunk with power, having been given full authority to decide what we can and cannot do with our loved ones. I'm running out of the energy to keep fighting for access, so your 'victory' is inspiring, thanks for sharing.

Enjoy :)

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Good for you @Baker17. Its exhausting having to fight the care home for reasonable access isn't it? it's no different here in Canada. They wouldn't let me move a 5 minute window visit from one day to the next so I could see my Mum on her 87th birthday. It seems universal that the staff in many of these care homes are drunk with power, having been given full authority to decide what we can and cannot do with our loved ones. I'm running out of the energy to keep fighting for access, so your 'victory' is inspiring, thanks for sharing.

Enjoy :)

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Yes it’s one particular supervisor who happens to be my husband’s key worker she thinks I will just accept everything she says and the manager of the home is noticeable by her absence throughout all of this. I am and always have been focused on getting the best care for him and don’t give up easily as they are finding out.
Take care @millalm x